Cream For Coffee?

Broons77

I've never had luck getting actual cream for my coffee on board, either I've been told that they don't have any or they bring over half and half and it turns into a Monty Python sketch where I say 'this isn't cream, it's half and half' and they say 'no sir, that's cream', and on it goes...

Back in the summer, there were posts flying about that people were having problems getting even half and half for the coffee.  The same sketch happened but this time crew were trying to pass off milk (but when pressed most would admit that they were out.)  Seems that this was some sort of supply chain issue as I haven't seen mention of this in some time.

I have a small lunch box cooler that keeps cold for days.  Was thinking of bringing a container of cream in it for my upcoming 5 day.  Would I get swarmed by security for such an attempt if I tried to bring it through as a carry on item?

I pray this doesn't devolve into an argument over the 'correct' ways to drink coffee but am prepared for the worst...  

We've brought bottles of International Delight on board many times when we could get them locally before boarding. Sometimes we bring the individual UHT treated "creamers" from home that do not need a fridge (cooler on some ships) if we can't source locally before boarding. For us it is a lactose issue and cannot use real cream in our coffee and will not use the soy/oat/almond milk they have on board.

• Like 3

Half and half to me is cream. I didnt see anything like this on allure, milk. All containers were milk. I can tell if its half and half it would lighten up my coffee more. Only milk every container in sept on allure. The thread you referred to is correct. Just milk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad I asked, thanks folks. Perhaps if word gets around that some to the pax are having to resort to stuff like this, they'll slow down with these nibbling little cuts.

Probably not but one can dream. 

I would have taken the half and half over plain old watery milk. The only thing offered on my last cruise (Spectrum out of Singapore/Japan in August) only had milk for passenger use. If you asked the coffee bar they'd pour almond milk for you, but half and half and cream were not available, even behind the counter. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Can people really tell the difference between half and half and cream?

No half and half is what I posted. The pitchers labelled cream had milk. 

I dont think that's the issue. I would have taken half and half. I got milk in the cream pitchers. I can tell milk from half and half. This comment will just get things started again  ... there was no half and half. Only milk. 

10 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I would have taken the half and half over plain old watery milk. The only thing offered on my last cruise (Spectrum out of Singapore/Japan in August) only had milk for passenger use. If you asked the coffee bar they'd pour almond milk for you, but half and half and cream were not available, even behind the counter. 

Exactly. .. ! ! !

Same on allure b2b in sept. That wasnt cream in the pitchers, both pitchers had milk. Even the one labelled cream.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Can people really tell the difference between half and half and cream?

I absolutely can, I had a relative at Christmas try to slip me a cup with H&H and I didn't even need to drink it, I could tell by how it looked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Greyhoundcat said:

Does anyone know if paid coffee has real half and half available? 

I would plan for the worst and bring my own.  Based on replies here and on the other thread I mentioned, it seems like a crapshoot as to what you'll get

• Like 1

We just got off Oasis last Sunday and the container labeled as half & half was milk.  I usually pour some half and half into a cup and squirrel it away in my cooler every other day for coffee in the cabin.  It was definitely milk.  Some of the cuts have gotten to be SO annoying.  Just charge me more and give me what I'm used to.  

• Like 2

If you use the fancy coffee machines in the SL, CL, DL (now actually another "CL")  the "cream" that is in your Latte, Cappuccino is just whole milk.  And yes, (before you ask) I have witnessed those vats being filled by attendant many times on all different ships.  

• Like 2

Just now, island lady said:

If you use the fancy coffee machines in the SL, CL, DL (now actually another "CL")  the "cream" that is in your Latte, Cappuccino is just whole milk.  And yes, (before you ask) I have witnessed those vats being filled by attendant many times on all different ships.  

I've seen it too and the button I think says foamed milk I click to add more. And yes the guy adds milk to the machine.

I like a lot of cream so I add so much sometimes my coffee is barely warm enough to drink in the WJ. Not a huge deal but irritating some posters like smokey thinking we dont know the difference. I do. Not stopping me from cruising but I did notice it for sure. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

I've seen it too and the button I think says foamed milk I click to add more. And yes the guy adds milk to the machine.

I like a lot of cream so I add so much sometimes my coffee is barely warm enough to drink in the WJ. Not a huge deal but irritating some posters like smokey thinking we dont know the difference. I do. Not stopping me from cruising but I did notice it for sure. 

I actually prefer the whole milk anyway.   I do use fat free 1/2 & 1/2 at home, though.  Not sure why.  😉 

Op, yes, you can carry on cartons of cream and half&half. We have been doing that for many years, as we make coffee in our cabin, especially now with the machines in the suites. I’ve never found actual cream for coffee in our 20+ years of cruising. 

As for the machines in the lounges, yes it’s milk. As it’s supposed to be in cappuccino and other espresso based drinks. 

Most ports have stores nearby where half and half is easy to find. Heavy cream is more of a challenge, as you have to find a real grocery store. 

• Thanks 1