Marina November 1 “Holy Lands and Treasures” Itinerary Changes

GeorgiaPeach51

I am not clear exactly what the OP is complaining about.  The original itinerary visited ports in Israel, Cyprus, and Egypt.  Now the ship is going to Greek Islands before going to Alexandria.  I’m assuming that it took a few days for Oceania to arrange for these changes, so they could not let OP know of the changes right away when it became clear that cruises to Israel was a definite no go.  I have no idea what can be done to make the new itinerary resemble the old one.

Maybe I am more cynical than the OP, but with what’s going on in Ukraine/Russia and now in Israel, I book a cruise with an assumption that changes could occur to the itineraries.  I’m assuming (perhaps incorrectly), that Oceania decided to visit the Greek islands in place Israel/Cyprus.  This cruise is no longer has any emphasis on Israel/Cyrprus ports, and that’s unfortunate, but I can’t understand what can be done to “fix” this.

Edited by Psoque
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I am not clear exactly what the OP is complaining about.  The original itinerary visited ports in Israel, Cyprus, and Egypt.  Now the ship is going to Greek Islands before going to Alexandria.  I’m assuming that it took a few days for Oceania to arrange for these changes, so they could not let OP know of the changes right away when it became clear that cruises to Israel was a definite no go.  I have no idea what can be done to make the new itinerary resemble the old one.

Maybe I am more cynical than the OP, but with what’s going on in Ukraine/Russia and now in Israel, I book a cruise with an assumption that changes could occur to the itineraries.  I’m assuming (perhaps incorrectly), that Oceania decided to visit the Greek islands in place Israel/Cyprus.  This cruise is no longer has any emphasis on Israel/Cyrprus ports, and that’s unfortunate, but I can’t understand what can be done to “fix” this.

She states she wants FCC as compensation for altered itinerary.

14 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

That I can understand.  I just cannot understand why she is asking for it.  I have no idea how she is being “wronged” to deserve any compensation.  Perhaps she should send an invoice to Hamas.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

This cruise is still going to Alexandria which is Reconsider Travel status.  That doesn’t thrill me, especially for two days.  Getting blown up in Egypt is not on my bucket list.  It’s not just a case of just don’t get off the ship with the ship sitting solidly in s Reconsider Travel country.  I checked with my TA this morning and Egypt is still listed.  

I posted, in part, having never been on Oceania, to get input from more experienced passengers re adjusting my hope for a FCC.   Based on feedback, my current expectation has been ratcheted down to zero.

24 minutes ago, Psoque said:

That I can understand.  I just cannot understand why she is asking for it.  I have no idea how she is being “wronged” to deserve any compensation.  Perhaps she should send an invoice to Hamas.

I don't disagree.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Psoque said:

When a cruiser, never on Oceania, like me has never had a cruise so drastically altered, and has no experience with so many port changes it seems logical to ask questions, get input, and make adjustments in expectations.  Apparently not. In all my years of cruising I have had the good luck to only have one port changed prior to a cruise and a few missed ports here and there due to weather or wind while on the cruise.

I regret posting at all due to the criticisms and backlash; even a negative comment about how I express myself.  I guess I am not very thick skinned and have found this to be emotionally difficult and stressful.  I’m just not a tough person, not tough enough to shrug all this off, keep attempting to answer and explain, perhaps I came across entitled or something. That wasn’t my intention, but whatever the cause for what I perceive to be just too much sarcasm, and negative response, rather than a little kindness, or even empathy.  I’m over it.

This is a perfect example to me, of things people say in print but would hopefully never say to your face.  I am bowing out of this board and this post and anyone who has comments, just carry on, but I will not see them.  I assume I will get additional criticism for even this comment, to be honest.  

29 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

This cruise is still going to Alexandria which is Reconsider Travel status.  That doesn’t thrill me, especially for two days.  Getting blown up in Egypt is not on my bucket list.  It’s not just a case of just don’t get off the ship with the ship sitting solidly in s Reconsider Travel country.  I checked with my TA this morning and Egypt is still listed.  

I posted, in part, having never been on Oceania, to get input from more experienced passengers re adjusting my hope for a FCC.   Based on feedback, my current expectation has been ratcheted down to zero.

30 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

11 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

When a cruiser, never on Oceania, like me has never had a cruise so drastically altered, and has no experience with so many port changes it seems logical to ask questions, get input, and make adjustments in expectations.  Apparently not. In all my years of cruising I have had the good luck to only have one port changed prior to a cruise and a few missed ports here and there due to weather or wind while on the cruise.

I regret posting at all due to the criticisms and backlash; even a negative comment about how I express myself.  I guess I am not very thick skinned and have found this to be emotionally difficult and stressful.  I’m just not a tough person, not tough enough to shrug all this off, keep attempting to answer and explain, perhaps I came across entitled or something. That wasn’t my intention, but whatever the cause for what I perceive to be just too much sarcasm, and negative response, rather than a little kindness, or even empathy.  I’m over it.

This is a perfect example to me, of things people say in print but would hopefully never say to your face.  I am bowing out of this board and this post and anyone who has comments, just carry on, but I will not see them.  I assume I will get additional criticism for even this comment, to be honest.  

You asked for feedback.

You got feedback.

You don't like the feedback.

Perhaps, as you stated, you should adjust your expectations.

I'm sorry you are sad.  That's the extent of my sympathy.  Now I feel better, I hope you do too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

So as of this AM the itinerary for Oceania’s Marina is scheduled to dock in Alexandria Nov.7th.@ 8:00AM.and leave at 6:00AM. It will sail around offshore then return Nov.8th for the same time period 8:00AM -6:00 PM. Obviously this is out of concern for the growing tensions in the region. Cairo and the Pyramids are no longer a possibility as time does not allow. Tour companies are stating that passengers are NOT getting off the ships out of safety concerns. The ports of Antalya, Limassol, and understandably Haifa and Ashdod and Port Said are no longer listed as ports of call.  Not doubt the stop in Tunis could be next. The original tour looks like nothing I would have chosen particularly with the Uber stops on the beaten paths of Mykonos, Piraeus and Santorini. The Oceania Cruise Lines and their holding company Norwegian Cruise Lines need to consider alternatives such as credit for another cruise or FCC’s. That’s if they wish not to have the experience of alienating their customer base…worldwide. 

• Thanks 1

I think OP may possibly feel aggrieved no matter the cruiseline in this situation - they all appear to be having to make difficult decisions. 

The world is a pretty terrible place at the moment, there is literally faeces hitting the fan all over, I think having your itinerary changed because of a war is quite reasonable. 

If the cruiseline cancels the cruise then all the people who would have been happy on a changed itinerary would be unhappy. So they changed the itin and you and I am guessing a % of other cruisers are unhappy. 

I am sorry this has happened to you, it’s certainly not optimum, but I think only you are in control of the experience you are going to have on this cruise. 

Certainly be upset, but if you allow it to colour your whole cruise - I’d cancel. I just get the impression you have written off the whole cruise, when the experience you have on the ship is going to be no different no matter where you physically are.

Life is too precious to be angry or miserable, when you could be having a lovely time. 

Edited by ToxM
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, ToxM said:

I think OP may possibly feel aggrieved no matter the cruiseline in this situation - they all appear to be having to make difficult decisions. 

The world is a pretty terrible place at the moment, there is literally faeces hitting the fan all over, I think having your itinerary changed because of a war is quite reasonable. 

If the cruiseline cancels the cruise then all the people who would have been happy on a changed itinerary would be unhappy. So they changed the itin and you and I am guessing a % of other cruisers are unhappy. 

I am sorry this has happened to you, it’s certainly not optimum, but I think only you are in control of the experience you are going to have on this cruise. 

Certainly be upset, but if you allow it to colour your whole cruise - I’d cancel. I just get the impression you have written off the whole cruise, when the experience you have on the ship is going to be no different no matter where you physically are.

Life is too precious to be angry or miserable, when you could be having a lovely time. 

A friend of mine once said this when we were hiking in the rain, and I was complaining.

"You can be wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be wet."

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Psoque said:

If you have read through, which maybe you haven't, I believe all the OP was asking was to be able to cancel without penalty, or to receive some amount of FCC. I, myself, don't find this to be an unreasonable request...all things considered. And before 5 of you chime, I, too, know what the contracts say. That's beside the point. Maybe it is time for the cruiselines to ask themselves (yeah, like that's going to happen) whether their are contracts could be adjusted or changed to accommodate some of the unusual situations that didn't exist when they were written.

Edited by clojacks
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, laspetzia said:

So as of this AM the itinerary for Oceania’s Marina is scheduled to dock in Alexandria Nov.7th.@ 8:00AM.and leave at 6:00AM. It will sail around offshore then return Nov.8th for the same time period 8:00AM -6:00 PM. Obviously this is out of concern for the growing tensions in the region. Cairo and the Pyramids are no longer a possibility as time does not allow. Tour companies are stating that passengers are NOT getting off the ships out of safety concerns. The ports of Antalya, Limassol, and understandably Haifa and Ashdod and Port Said are no longer listed as ports of call.  Not doubt the stop in Tunis could be next. The original tour looks like nothing I would have chosen particularly with the Uber stops on the beaten paths of Mykonos, Piraeus and Santorini. The Oceania Cruise Lines and their holding company Norwegian Cruise Lines need to consider alternatives such as credit for another cruise or FCC’s. That’s if they wish not to have the experience of alienating their customer base…worldwide. 

Much of what you post here is not supported by facts. Please cite the source for your statements. 

I view that discrepancy with the in-and-out of Alexandria to be a typo on the part of some scrambling Oceania employee trying to update the web page before they took it down for a previously announced update. 

The Alexandria port stop including the “in and out” arrivals and departures are posted on my email from Oceania. They occur in  two stages leaving at night and returning for the second go around the next day... I am scheduled on that cruise. Hope that clears up what you think is a discrepancy. The US State Dept. has issued “Reconsider Travel” to Egypt , this prior to three Israelis being killed a few days ago by  an Egyptian policemen. Tunisia: State Dept. recommends exercising  increased caution due to terrorism. Oceania will not respond to inquiries, just asking passengers to get their boarding passes for this totally scuttled itinerary whether you like it or not….just like good sheep. It should be noted that a number of cruise lines have offered FCC’s not so Oceania whose holding company is NCL.

I am surprised at some of the harsh  comments.  It seems to me that the OP is quite right to question this unfortunate situation,  especially because other similarly priced cruise lines are being more generous in their resolution.   It could be that Azamara or Regent (or whoever is issuing FCC) has business interruption insurance that covers these costs, and Oceania might decide to buy it in the future if passengers protested being dragged near a war zone (or lose their cruise fare) - rather than throwing up their hands and saying 'that's what the contract says'. Business interruption insurance would add a small amount to the cruise fare.   It could turn out that you benefit next time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, laspetzia said:

The Oceania Cruise Lines and their holding company Norwegian Cruise Lines need to consider alternatives such as credit for another cruise or FCC’s. That’s if they wish not to have the experience of alienating their customer base…worldwide. 

Reality check for ya...

In Jan 2020, NCLH stock sat at $59.75; today it closed at $15.04.  There's not much fat left on the carcass with which to be gracious anymore, and the 1 Nov cruise isn't the only one that is likely to be disrupted.  Customer goodwill is very important, but keeping the lights on still trumps it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

sorry  but this area of the World has been in/out of turmoil for years   not sure why people are surprised  when  war starts up again for the umpteenth time 🙄

Thank you for being a voice of reason as opposed to these never ending me, me,me and Woe Is Me posts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

I am surprised at some of the harsh  comments.  It seems to me that the OP is quite right to question this unfortunate situation,  especially because other similarly priced cruise lines are being more generous in their resolution.   It could be that Azamara or Regent (or whoever is issuing FCC) has business interruption insurance that covers these costs, and Oceania might decide to buy it in the future if passengers protested being dragged near a war zone (or lose their cruise fare) - rather than throwing up their hands and saying 'that's what the contract says'. Business interruption insurance would add a small amount to the cruise fare.   It could turn out that you benefit next time. 

It seems like everyone on every cruise line is complaining - please indicate specifically which cruise lines are giving everybody everything they want.

And truly - it will be a long, long time before cruise lines schedule cruises in this part of the world again. They will go for the safe - and possibility of minimal disturbances to avoid trying to placate 1000 different people on every cruise who expect their needs to be superseded before the other 999.

Edited by RD64
Additional
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I am surprised at some of the harsh  comments.

@JFontaine I understand your point of view here, I really do. The issue should have been common sense by the author.  Allow me to explain.  If the Author has cruise 30 + times which they stated many times.  This being their first time with Oceania, they should understand the difference between credit card travel insurance and third party travel insurance.  Yet it took four or five attempts to gain if they had Travel Insurance.  They did not, but booked with a credit card.  Poor planning for a veterian cruiser going to this region. 

If a person is knowledgeable about cruising, then they are knowledgeable about this regions.  This region is in and out of conflict quite often.  It should be NO surprise that the region my have even an minor conflict effecting ports.  Know that, remember 30 + cruises history, a cancel for any reason third party policy is so very important.  Would it cover a war, hard to say.  Should the policy have been in effect instead of counting on a credit card, absolutely. It is all about the planning and choices we make.  

Finally, why would anyone write this post focusing that the entire blame is on how Oceania or any cruise brand is handling this situation which is still fluid.  What benefit does it really provide?  The only benefit is for the Author to vent, rant and justify their position so other make them feel better.  The want their position of being wronged vilified. Does this fix the problem they are having, NO. Do they accept accountability of any level for the decision to go into this region knowing the potential risks, NO. It is all the brands fault so let's brand bash.  

I have no skin in the game here.  Just like the author, I am VERY new to Oceania but not new to cruising.  I have had my fair share of complaints with cruise brands over the years.  However, I handle my complaints directly with the source and RARELY have ever not had my issues resolved to my satisfaction.  I am no one special, ask my wife and kids.  I just think, I can make my case better then anyone else can, never give up and gain the outcome without crowd sourcing to stir the pot.

The intent of this post was to stir the pot. When the author did not gain the support from the community they were looking for, they did what I expect they did with Oceania.  The gave up and got their feeling hurt.  Why, because social media did not agree 100% with their position and people were direct with them.  This is social media, it is opinionated.  This board is kinder and nicer then the one that starts with a "R".  I know, that site is brutal. 

We as cruiser should have our heads examined to cruise at all.  Just reading the contract should set us all straight.  However, we love the hobby, love talking about it, love dream about it and love the experience so we do it knowing so many things can and usually will go wrong. With that understanding we accept a certain level of blame for issues.  Just my two cents and not worth anything but making a point. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 7

@Sthrngary Not to derail this conversation,  but you keep raising the point about insurance.   Ive been cruising often over 35 years, and have only bought insurance twice, for specific reasons. I do use an expensive credit card which has some insurance (relatively new feature in last 15 years, never tested by me), but the policy is very comparable to low cost separate insurance (does not contain Cancel for Any Reason, which adds significantly to the cost of insurance).  My point is I've easily saved more than $100,000 in insurance premiums.   There isn't much that that bucket won't cover.   

As for the rest of your post, I learned things from the OP's post and some of the responses. I thank her for raising the issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JFontaine said:

As for the rest of your post, I learned things from the OP's post and some of the responses. I thank her for raising the issue. 

I agree with your post and would like to amplify this point further.

I have learned much and continue to learn much from posts on this site through the years. I cruise many lines and read many different forums here. When things “ out of the ordinary” happen, that is a good time to gauge how various cruise lines respond to challenges faced and difficult situations. 

Oceania is not the only cruise line struggling right now, yet at least two other lines (according to posts on CC) are offering solutions to passengers impacted by the recent events in Israel. 

When it comes to booking future cruises, it is something I will remember and put on my balance sheet if, for example, I might be debating between booking with Azamara and Oceania. 

If booking a premium cruise, wouldn’t one want to think that the company takes care of its customers? Especially when other lines are stepping up? Of course they don’t have to, according to their contractual obligations, but that doesn’t lead very well, does it?

• Like 3

One thing I have learned which is more of a caveat emptor: If you are off the ship O (and I would suspect all other cruiselines) then consider yourself on your own.

A couple I am friends with had a truly terrible experience when they were removed from the ship so one of them could be admitted to hospital. The port agent defrauded them, one of them was placed in a very substandard hotel, no real help from O and it cost them a lot of money and even more stress. Both of them had covid, one of them was in ICU, the other was then admitted to hospital when they didn’t need to be. 

O literally washed their hands of them. They have vowed never to cruise again because of the experience. 

I now consider the cruiseline to only be responsible for me when I am on the ship, and plan accordingly. 

I book my own airfare, I overinsure, I have contingency in place at every port. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This thread has been a real eye opener on disrespect among the boards. Why is it so important to question the OP's motives for starting this thread? If it was to garner  a little sympathy, so what? If it was to gather information from others who may have faced a similar circumstance, so what? If it was to alert fellow passengers to the plight they encountered, so what? If you don't "like" an OP's approach, why do you feel the need to jump on them, as many of you have done. The cruise industry has dramatically changed in the past 3 years, and not necessarily for the better. Is it important that message boards change negatively as well? I hope those of you who felt the need to question the OP, and I'm sure I'll face the same wrath here in a second when I hit "submit reply", ask yourself if your reply is providing assistance or answer, or if it is just showing how smart you are in disagreeing with a poster.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The issue should have been common sense by the author.  Allow me to explain.  If the Author has cruise 30 + times which they stated many times.  This being their first time with Oceania, they should understand the difference between credit card travel insurance and third party travel insurance.  Yet it took four or five attempts to gain if they had Travel Insurance.  They did not, but booked with a credit card.  Poor planning for a veterian cruiser going to this region. 

Sthrngary,

I tend to agree with almost everything that you have posted on this thread.

However, I think that you may not completely understand the Chase Sapphire insurance. I would encourage you to check it out before dismissing it out of hand. It is comparable to other travel insurance policies in terms of coverage and limits. However, it is not CFAR. It does provide coverage for cancellation due to illness, death in the immediate family, etc. We use it for all of our trips for cancellation insurance along with an annual Geo Blue policy for medical and evac. Fortunately, have not had to make any claims. We fully recognize that if we choose to cancel a trip for a reason not covered by the Chase Sapphire insurance that we will take the financial hit. Have had to do that a few times for forfeited deposits and flights.

IMO, the real insurance issue for the OP was not having CFAR insurance, especially when planning a trip to such a volatile region. 

Edited by Croooser
  • Thanks 1