Horrible “Premium” wifi on Eclipse.

Ben100014

Just boarded the Eclipse today, and upgraded to the premium wifi as I usually do. However, it has been completely unusable the entire time. On my last few cruises, the premium wifi at least got up to 5mbps, now it won’t exceed 0.9mbps at the most, making it virtually worthless for browsing the web, let alone streaming. Anyone else onboard experiencing this? This is ridiculous. Not usually one to complain but for as much as X has been touting this, I fear this may be the latest cutback if this isn't just a fluke.

IMG_3539.png

• Thanks 1

If it' s really bad consistently, maybe  they might give you credit  back and /or share locations on the ship where it would work better.

On the  Infinity once,  the regular wi fi was so SLOW that the tech people gave everyone back all the minutes gobbled up by just checking or sending a few e mails. Didn't improve service but it helped avoid costs for extra minutes.

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Have you talked to the staff on board?  Since they deal with it every day, they are in the best position to tell you if it is normal or a fluke.

Hopefully they went to GR / internet desk first before posting here 

That speed looks like basic internet speed I was getting on the Reflection TA in April 

We were on the Eclipse 10/1-8, and it was very sporadic.  Very sporadic.  It wasn't as bad in the common areas as it was in our cabin (Deck 11).

And TV was horrible as well...channel selection was bad (as it usually is, which is confounding and annoying that in all our years of cruising, nothing has changed), but we also had multiple times when most of the few channels were off the air/unavailable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lostchild said:

Maybe they forgot to update your account after you upgraded?   I premium is now capped at 5Mbps, but basic is capped at like 1.   0.9Mbps sounds like you still have the basic?

I suspect this may be the case as well. The odd thing is when we log in, it says we have the premium package, but the performance is awful. Will check with guest relations this morning.

9 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Have you talked to the staff on board?  Since they deal with it every day, they are in the best position to tell you if it is normal or a fluke.

Going to this morning. Two members of my cabin experiencing this so I’m a bit concerned. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ben100014 said:

Going to this morning. Two members of my cabin experiencing this so I’m a bit concerned. 

Do you notice that you get better service in some areas of the ship than others?  I have seen proximity to the wireless access point (AP) you are connected to causing degraded service.  The closer you are to an AP the better the service.  They are generally installed in the ceiling/overhead in the passageways outside the staterooms. 

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Do you notice that you get better service in some areas of the ship than others?  I have seen proximity to the wireless access point (AP) you are connected to causing degraded service.  The closer you are to an AP the better the service.  They are generally installed in the ceiling/overhead in the passageways outside the staterooms. 

Yes, that's what I noted above. Our cabin (Deck 11) was horrible...at times we had to go on the balcony just to have a text or imessage go through.  But in the common areas and on the pool deck it was fine.

I had great connectivity on our Millennium sailing earlier this year.  This was just outside the door to our stateroom.

image.jpeg.71eabd0a1aad6c361ed104a4e7c3115f.jpeg

I had a real strong signal that only decreased slightly when I was on the balcony with the door shut. We were midship on deck 6. 

I was on the October 1st sailing, in a CC balcony, midship on deck 9. The Premium Wi-Fi NEVER worked inside of our stateroom. It worked fine most of the time in the public spaces. Such as, when I was waiting in line to speak with tech support at the Internet Help Desk. I visited them each of the first three days, and was told each time that a work order would be generated. I was actually told on the first day, by an I-team member, that the "cabin was not designed to receive a Wi-Fi signal". Huh?  Well, he was factually correct about the not working part. Finally on day 4, after zero follow up from the Internet No-Help Desk, I went to customer service and received a full refund of my prepaid Wi-Fi package. As for the app, it worked fine on my Android phone, when I had a good wi-fi signal in the public spaces.

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Please let us know the outcome

Turns out it was a setting on our phones that was slowing down the internet. Very frustrating, but the Internet cafe representative was helpful. False alarm, I suppose 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Ben100014 said:

Turns out it was a setting on our phones that was slowing down the internet. Very frustrating, but the Internet cafe representative was helpful. False alarm, I suppose 

Maybe it would be helpful to some, what kind of phones and what settings?

We were on the Eclipse on deck 11 Oct 8-15 with Premium WiFi. There was no WiFi at all on the balcony. The WiFi in the cabin was slow and sporadic. When we were in Port, our regular phone data worked on the balcony but not in the cabin. When we were on the Coral Princess in 2019, we could easily stream with our WiFi package. We were surprised, therefore, by the poor WiFi on the Eclipse, our first Celebrity sailing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben100014 said:

Maybe message the moderator and tell it you who screwed not the ship internet and they should remove the thread 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1