Nickel and Diming?

tonyfall1

5 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Two Wheels Only gives a pretty good explanation, but let me expand on it a bit.

The phrase "nickel & diming" refers to small mandatory charges that should be accounted for in the initial pricing. The key is mandatory. 

For example, a sign & sail card is something we all need...not only to make purchases, but to gain access to our staterooms. If you showed up at the pier and were told "you need to pay $5 to get your sign & sail card", that would be nickel & diming...you have no choice but to pay it. If you sail MSC, they not only have the sign & sail card, but on their newer ships they offer RFID wristbands that do the job of the sign & sail card. These bands are free for their suite and other upper-level guests, but are also available for purchase by anyone. This is not nickel & diming because you don't have to buy the wristband, you could simply opt for the free sign & sail card instead.

That is the traditional definition. However, we also have the Cruise Critic definition.

On Cruise Critic, the phrase nickel & diming is generally used when the person wants something extra that they just don't want to pay for (maybe they are cheap, maybe they just can't afford it, who knows) so instead of accepting their self-imposed limitation, they shift blame to the cruise line by calling it nickel and diming.

NCL got the Nickel and Dime tag because they were the first to start charging for experiences that were once considered included in the cruise fare.  Most of the other mass market cruise lines have since followed along.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tonyfall1 said:

Hello,

I will be taking my first NCL cruise in February on the Breakaway. I have done one Princess over 20 years ago and MSC last year. I have been doing a lot of reading to familiarize myself with NCL. A common theme I read on all of the different sites or see on Youtube is how they nickel and dime you once they get you onboard. They don't necessarily provide a lot of examples, other than Starbucks or water which are non issues for me. I have the FAS package, I have booked my excursions prepaid all of my gratuities and service charges, upgraded 1 internet to unlimited.. I am not really into laser tag or things like that. It seems like I have pretty much paid for everything I would want to do or be interested in. I can't think of anything else I would really need. What kind of nickel and diming is everyone referring to? Thanks.

There is no nickel and diming on an NCL ship. Just like any vacation location, NCL would love for you to spend additional money on your cruise. You can get away with a $0 bill at the end of the cruise the way you have it set up. All the food you can eat is included in your cruise fare, including a 24/7 restaurant for 3 am chicken wings. Entertainment is included. 

You don't need to pick up tacky souvenirs (been around since the start of vacationing). You don't need to buy BINGO cards (been around since the start of cruising). You don't need to spend any money on non-included food (specialty dining has been around for decades - but we eat complimentary if it is not free).  If a drink costs more than $15 to drink it (unless you are reaching for top shelf liquor, it is hard to exceed $15 - we got off a cruise this morning and spent $0 on alcohol above the FAS package).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lf4UA said:

When using HAL’s Have It All package on our last cruise, we didn’t spend one extra dime except for playing bingo/gambling (the daily gratuities were included at the time we booked.). When researching NCL’s Free At Sea, I find that water, Starbucks, tips on the drink package and tips on specialty dining are not included. That adds up quickly which kind of negates the “all-inclusive” concept. One of the main reasons I always choose the Have It All package is so that I don’t experience any surprises when receiving my final statement.

But that's is the point. It is *not* an all-inclusive cruise. It is a basic cruise like most of the main stream cruise lines sell. If you want more, pay for more. But you can take a cruise with no additional charges. Who cares if the other guy gives it to you for free. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you want more, pay for more.

Better said ...if you want more, you could just find a different cruise line. We enjoy beverage packages. We have recently found better overall pricing and value on Princess for a more inclusive experience.

If we sail on NCL, we have to pay an extra dollar or two for each shot of Grey Goose, Woodford Reserve, Bailey's, Grand Marnier, coffee, water, etc. Then, we have the confusing VAT taxes on NCL which I've stopped trying to figure out.

Somehow Princess is able to include all of this in their package at no additional upcharge. This is the stuff that gives NCL the reputation for the nickel and dime leader while other lines have the perception of being more inclusive.

They can't just put a $15 price tag on these spirits and include them. Nope, they have to list them at $16 or $17.... enough to squeeze that extra dollar or two out of their unsuspecting customers at every turn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lf4UA said:

When using HAL’s Have It All package on our last cruise, we didn’t spend one extra dime except for playing bingo/gambling (the daily gratuities were included at the time we booked.). When researching NCL’s Free At Sea, I find that water, Starbucks, tips on the drink package and tips on specialty dining are not included. That adds up quickly which kind of negates the “all-inclusive” concept. One of the main reasons I always choose the Have It All package is so that I don’t experience any surprises when receiving my final statement.

HAL can get away with including everything in package since everyone on board is asleep by 8pm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

26 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You can get away with a $0 bill at the end of the cruise the way you have it set up.

Unless you want drinks in the Mediterranean.

*VAT can of worms opened*

Sorry...couldn't help myself.

Edited by schmoopie17

38 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

NCL got the Nickel and Dime tag because they were the first to start charging for experiences that were once considered included in the cruise fare.  Most of the other mass market cruise lines have since followed along.  

The above is, I think, a very accurate statement of how they got the rep.  But it continues:

• I liked the crab cake in Cagneys.  Used to be included, now it's an upcharge. 
  • I think I read where the filet in Le Bistro is now an upcharge (I may be misremembering).
  • Bailys Irish Creme used to be included in Free At Sea package.  Now a shot of Bailys costs you $1 (plus 20%) because it costs more than $15.
  • You used to be able to get crepes every night in the buffet.  Now, you need to buy them down in Cocos.  (I understand that on some indeterminate evenings, they still have them in the buffet)

As others stated, none of these things are required to be purchased.

Perhaps I'm just cheap. More often than not, if we had OBC we had to scramble to use it on any ship/cruise lie we have been on. We don't generally pay for the extras, just not something we felt was important.

I do like the drink package on NCL. Yes, I pay for the gratuities, but it's an economical way to drink what I want, when I want without thinking about what it's costing. On the last cruise I took in August I realized that I probably didn't even drink enough to cover the gratuities, but I'm okay with that. All cruise lines are working to get as much income as they can. No need to join in on their plan unless you want to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PATRLR said:
  • I liked the crab cake in Cagneys.  Used to be included, now it's an upcharge. 
  • I think I read where the filet in Le Bistro is now an upcharge (I may be misremembering).
  • Bailys Irish Creme used to be included in Free At Sea package.  Now a shot of Bailys costs you $1 (plus 20%) because it costs more than $15.
  • You used to be able to get crepes every night in the buffet.  Now, you need to buy them down in Cocos.  (I understand that on some indeterminate evenings, they still have them in the buffet)

As others stated, none of these things are required to be purchased.

Cagney's Crab Cakes - No Upcharge

image.png.0e3104314a63e3d01f3d18d87f6dc910.png

Le Bistro added a $10 upcharge to the Filet for the addition of Foie Gras. I have never asked, but others have said that if you ask, you can get the Filet w/o the Foie for no upcharge (since we love Foie - ate it last night)

image.png.87a3c38db098aa5ea48002e4405e5010.png

image.png.146e66e224f6794e9e31ee4a71b45627.png

Baileys - I am 100% sure that you are correct that it is now over $15... because the waiters are telling me that there is an upcharge, but I find it interesting that the online menu shows it as included. 

image.png.2cf85064edb4566cb203afc7e44badbd.png

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

I don't believe that to be accurate. What was it that (please be specific) that NCL charged for that were once included in the cruise fare?

5 hours ago, lf4UA said:

Thanks for the reminder that I will be able to get good coffee and water with the HAL package. I am excited to see how HAL and NCL compare.

37 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Wow.  I thought for sure when I was on Encore last Dec there was an upcharge for the crabcake.

My mistake, I stand corrected.  Thank you Bird.

I think they change the menus multiple times per year. It is tough to keep up with everything. There was a time that shrimp cocktail was an upcharge, then it moved to the crab cake upcharge. Now it looks like the filet of beef is a $10 upcharge. And the drink menu posted above from NCL website is outdated. A more recent one is attached. I love the $22 Chambord. Maybe they give you the entire bottle!!

Joy_A-List_2023.pdf

15 hours ago, tonyfall1 said:

I haven't booked yet I need to wait till next week. In order of preference just from reading things. I think:

1. Cagneys

2. Moderno

3. Teppanyaki

We've booked Cagney's on each of our 3 cruises we have taken so far with NCL (4th cruise was just booked for December).  We try and go 2x each cruise - it's a VERY good steakhouse.  We have nothing to compare to, where we're from.  Highly recommend!  Moderno - we only had it on one of our NCL cruises and it was good - but we like the brazilian steakhouse theme and the foods offered!  Teppanyaki - meh.  Nothing that you can't get at any other teppanyaki-style restaurant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

I don't believe that to be accurate. What was it that (please be specific) that NCL charged for that were once included in the cruise fare?

Not the OP of that comment, but I do recall when room service did not have a delivery charge.

teppanyaki is not as good as it once was, since they've changed from filet mignon to ny strip, which is also readily available daily in the main dining room.

try and substitute le bistro instead or even in place of cagneys.

ive had good meals and so-so meals at modernos.  with their extensive salad bar, however, after stuffing myself with that, im ready to just go straight to the pineapple.

this may not always work out, but since cagney's and moderno share the same kitchen, i often ask my cagneys waiter if he can bring me some of the pineapple.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, fshagan said:

Not the OP of that comment, but I do recall when room service did not have a delivery charge.

Regular room service has had a charge for a long time, don't know if it was ever free - but there's always been a charge since I've been sailing on NCL. 

However, there is now a charge for breakfast, so yes that's new BUT they also upped the menu, so it's more than just a continental breakfast now.

I'm currently on NCL Prima, just arrived in Marseille.

NCL were widely advertising a $20 shuttle from the terminal to city and back.

They did not mention anywhere that there is a free shuttle from terminal building (or a $1.50 public bus if shuttle not running). The same story in Valencia three days ago.

Two days ago, I was standing at Guest Services when an elderly passenger (from US by accent) asked about getting into town in Ibiza, and was told a) they didn't have access to any maps, and b) he should ask about excursions.

When people pay a considerable chunk of their income (or pension!) for a holiday, what may seem like small extra sums to others can really make a difference. 

I would expect any cruise line to get me to the Cruise terminal at least in any advertised port of call. If the distance from terminal to town is not easily walkable, I have no problem with a company setting up their own transport and charging for it (this is imho nickel and diming and a little ingenuous) but I would expect information on local public transport alternatives to be available at Guest Services, etc.

This kind of practice has been a hallmark of budget airlines for quite a while. I really hope NCL isn't becoming the Ryanair of the Waves....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eg123 said:

They did not mention anywhere that there is a free shuttle from terminal building (or a $1.50 public bus if shuttle not running). The same story in Valencia three days ago.

Two days ago, I was standing at Guest Services when an elderly passenger (from US by accent) asked about getting into town in Ibiza, and was told a) they didn't have access to any maps, and b) he should ask about excursions.

When people pay a considerable chunk of their income (or pension!) for a holiday, what may seem like small extra sums to others can really make a difference. 

I would expect any cruise line to get me to the Cruise terminal at least in any advertised port of call. If the distance from terminal to town is not easily walkable, I have no problem with a company setting up their own transport and charging for it (this is imho nickel and diming and a little ingenuous) but I would expect information on local public transport alternatives to be available at Guest Services, etc.

This kind of practice has been a hallmark of budget airlines for quite a while. I really hope NCL isn't becoming the Ryanair of the Waves....

Honestly it wouldn’t occur to me for cruise lines to advertise similar excursions to what they are offering that are much cheaper. Every time we’ve been to port Canaveral we’ve used non NCL transportation, it’s really easy to do some research. I’m surprised that folks will pay extra to take a NCL shuttle to cocoa beach when there are much cheaper options, but they do.

13 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Honestly it wouldn’t occur to me for cruise lines to advertise similar excursions to what they are offering that are much cheaper. Every time we’ve been to port Canaveral we’ve used non NCL transportation, it’s really easy to do some research. I’m surprised that folks will pay extra to take a NCL shuttle to cocoa beach when there are much cheaper options, but they do.

Just like I met people in July at Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda, who paid $49 per person for a transfer back and forth from the pier instead of the $14 per person we always pay when we visit.

That's the one I'm always surprised about!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eg123 said:

In doing my research for this port I saw there is a free shuttle.  I also found, per the city's website, the bus "isn't 100% reliable, and please call the day before."  I further researched the free shuttle is almost a mile away (there's a utube video out there detailing the walk).  Am I travelling with a family member who recently had major surgery, and walking a mile is not recommended?  Yep!

I for one am grateful there is an option, yes option, for the shuttle.  I don't consider this nickel and diming at all.  

I'll also give NCL credit for the military discount - I don't see that being offered elsewhere.