What is a Good Price?

My upcoming cruises so far will be solo, and for that I try to find roughly around $250 per night or less. As a mostly land traveller, comparing it to a standard hotel room with all you get on top of the room itself on a cruise, I consider anything around that to be pretty good value!

For Ovation I got $182 per night, so that was a bargain.

Westerdam NZ is $261 per night and Noordam TP is $268 per night. The Westerdam Asia cruise I took in February with my daughter was $155pp per night. (plus gratuities for HAL). 

• Like 1

By comparison, we're paying around NZD400 per night for a condo in Hawaii. They state it has a full fridge/freezer but sadly that refers to it's size rather than it"s contents 😪

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Jean C said:

By comparison, we're paying around NZD400 per night for a condo in Hawaii.

Does that include the "Resort Fee"?  I discovered it when I checked into a Waikiki hotel and was informed that I had to pay a fee of $US46 per day extra.   Some accommodation places include it in the tariff, but many do not.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Does that include the "Resort Fee"?  I discovered it when I checked into a Waikiki hotel and was informed that I had to pay a fee of $US46 per day extra.   Some accommodation places include it in the tariff, but many do not.

We're in a condo, so no resort fee.  The NZD400 includes the cleaning fee and the state taxes. I think I'd have a heart attack if even more was added. The condo complex has a restaurant and convenience store on site and two pools.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Same when I was in Hawaii a few years back. I asked why it just wasn't included in the price seeing its not optional. I got a shrug and was told "all hotels in Hawaii do it'. I just thought TG we are upfront with costs in Aus.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Some of them want to abuse you

Especially if you have the misfortune to be a crew member on a cruise ship😟

Yikes, I've just been looking at Princess around Australia cruises for 2025/26 and they are coming out as NZD400 per person per day to choose a standard fare regular balcony! Yikes, I need to take a blood pressure pill 💊 

• Like 3

The weather going north is likely to be better (unless it's cyclone season) and with smoother seas. The weather going around the south of Australia is often rough - it's the notorious "Roaring Forties" that lead to so many shipwrecks in the old days. By the time you get there, you should have your 'sea legs'. So if you go east from WA, you have the winds behind you, in theory at least.

I'd be doing the anticlockwise loop for those reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

The weather going north is likely to be better (unless it's cyclone season) and with smoother seas. The weather going around the south of Australia is often rough - it's the notorious "Roaring Forties" that lead to so many shipwrecks in the old days. By the time you get there, you should have your 'sea legs'. So if you go east from WA, you have the winds behind you, in theory at least.

I'd be doing the anticlockwise loop for those reasons.

Thanks, it's nice to have that confirmation 👍