Coconut shrimp

lenquixote66

I manage a small upscale ship that personalizes nearly everything for our Guests. Everything is customized to individual tastes. We receive many unusual food requests, and manage to deliver on them every time. 

Nobody has ever requested coconut shrimp.

We would produce it if they did request it.

It is a very simple dish to prepare.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread as we do not recall ever seeing coconut shrimp on any cruise.  We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year where that dish is a popular local staple and on the menu of many restaurants.  Lots of debate in PV about which restaurant has the best coconut shrimp :).  

I think an issue for the main stream (mass market) cruise lines is that coconut shrimp is generally made with large-jumbo shrimp, which is a product avoided by most cruise lines because of the cost.  On the luxury lines they must view the item as too basic to put on the menu.  But it is also the kind of thing anyone could request on a luxury line (they generally want a day's notice) and would be easily accommodated.

Hank

On 10/31/2023 at 10:47 AM, Hlitner said:

Interesting thread as we do not recall ever seeing coconut shrimp on any cruise.  We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year where that dish is a popular local staple and on the menu of many restaurants.  Lots of debate in PV about which restaurant has the best coconut shrimp :).  

I think an issue for the main stream (mass market) cruise lines is that coconut shrimp is generally made with large-jumbo shrimp, which is a product avoided by most cruise lines because of the cost.  On the luxury lines they must view the item as too basic to put on the menu.  But it is also the kind of thing anyone could request on a luxury line (they generally want a day's notice) and would be easily accommodated.

Hank

We just got off Vision of the Seas, where coconut shrimp was an appetizer on one of the MDR evening menus. It was served with sweet chili sauce and a slaw that had some sweetness and a little kick. Some of us got five smaller coconut shrimp, and others got slightly larger ones but only four. They were definitely not large or jumbo shrimp, and while the flavor was decent and the coating had a bit of crunch left, they were not hot enough. That was a problem with many dishes at dinner, though.

Vision of the Seas - another Walmart of the Seas ship.

Not surprising they would feature a plebeian dish like that.

And no surprise there were problems with many dishes at dinner.

If you set your standards low enough, anything can seem like paradise.

6 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Vision of the Seas - another Walmart of the Seas ship.

Not surprising they would feature a plebeian dish like that.

And no surprise there were problems with many dishes at dinner.

If you set your standards low enough, anything can seem like paradise.

Many references to Walmart.I have yet to enter one.Am I missing anything ?

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many references to Walmart.I have yet to enter one.Am I missing anything ?

Walmart is the 16th largest company in the world, with annual revenues of over $400 Billlion. Over 70% of its merchandise is made in China.

Their business plan is simple: “sell it cheap and sell a lot of it”.

This marketing scheme is remarkably similar to the American-based Mass Market cruise lines.

It is no surprise that the same demographics are attracted to Walmart and to Mass Market cruising.

If you Google “peopleofWalmart”, you can get a great idea of who these people are.

1 hour ago, BruceMuzz said:

Walmart is the 16th largest company in the world, with annual revenues of over $400 Billlion. Over 70% of its merchandise is made in China.

Their business plan is simple: “sell it cheap and sell a lot of it”.

This marketing scheme is remarkably similar to the American-based Mass Market cruise lines.

It is no surprise that the same demographics are attracted to Walmart and to Mass Market cruising.

If you Google “peopleofWalmart”, you can get a great idea of who these people are.

Many stores sell merchandise made in China.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many stores sell merchandise made in China.

Many stores in America do sell things made in China.

In 2023, Walmart in America sold over $300 Billion worth of China made goods to the American public - and then sent all that money back to China.

The Chinese Government is eternally grateful.

11 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Many stores in America do sell things made in China.

In 2023, Walmart in America sold over $300 Billion worth of China made goods to the American public - and then sent all that money back to China.

The Chinese Government is eternally grateful.

My wife and I endeavor to not buy anything made in China .

On 10/20/2023 at 7:41 AM, BruceMuzz said:

I manage a small upscale ship that personalizes nearly everything for our Guests. Everything is customized to individual tastes. We receive many unusual food requests, and manage to deliver on them every time. 

Nobody has ever requested coconut shrimp.

We would produce it if they did request it.

It is a very simple dish to prepare.

Like every other dish coconut shrimp is very good if prepared properly.  It is currently offered as an appetizer at our favorite go-to restaurant.  Coconut shrimp was always available every evening onboard RCI in the Concierge Lounge way back when they had a Concierge Lounge.  

• 1 month later...