When I grow up I want to be . . . (Just for fun)

BruhnSisters

If you were going to work on a Holland America Ship for one month . . .  and magically had the skills to do any job onboard . . . what would you choose to do?

I would either be a back up singer for the B.B. Kings band or the Yum Yum Man . . . ummmm Yum Yum Mam.

I'd love to hear your answers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BruhnSisters said:

If you were going to work on a Holland America Ship for one month . . .  and magically had the skills to do any job onboard . . . what would you choose to do?

I would either be a back up singer for the B.B. Kings band or the Yum Yum Man . . . ummmm Yum Yum Mam.

I'd love to hear your answers.  

Since they are owned by Carnival, there is no way on Earth I would work for them. Spent 40 yrs at sea, fortunately none of them with a Carnival brand. Unfortunately, our son was not so lucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would like to be standing up in front of the oarsmen. Beating the drum and screaming at those lollygaggers to put their backs into it!

Later on, at mess...we'd laugh and compare whip marks.

Edited by Genghis Khan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I'd be one of the musicians. I don't have the musical talent and along with the missing talent, I would need to be a few years younger ...

I expect it's not always as much fun as it looks, but I think it could be a fun lifestyle for a while!

• Like 2

No skills here, but in my dreams I'd like to be the cruise director.  I would add a bunch of fun activities & enrichment seminars, more port talks.  As a passenger, I enjoy the craft classes (painting, calligraphy, etc) so I would add more of these & make them more diverse.

• Like 2

Yum Yum Mam.   I would love to wear the uniform and nice hat and walk around with the chimes announcing dinner time. I would also give out ginger and mints after dinner as people were leaving the MDR. I have happy memories of the Yum Yum Man on the Veendam. 😊

• Like 4

I always wanted to be a dancer. Aside from the fact that I have no athletic ability or coordination, I am about 40 years past the optimal age. If we can magically fix those shortcomings, I think cruising and dancing would be a great combination!!

oh, and they would have to bring back traditional show productions of course 💃

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I know many of you will find this silly but I wouldn't mind being the guy (or gal) that says washi, washi to the passengers as they enter the Lido for lunch or dinner. I don't know if I could do all three shifts but I could do two of the meals. I see them more as a greeter. Their positive attitude brightens my day and makes we want to wash my hands. Maybe I'm crazy?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Yum Yum Mam.   I would love to wear the uniform and nice hat and walk around with the chimes announcing dinner time. I would also give out ginger and mints after dinner as people were leaving the MDR. I have happy memories of the Yum Yum Man on the Veendam. 😊

Unfortunately, yum yum man was before my time (first HAL in Aug).   But sure sounds like a “sweet” tradition 😋

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Unfortunately we never experienced “washi washi” person on Zaandam in Aug/Sep…

we always did washi, but would have preferred someone ensuring that everyone did.

Perhaps they couldn’t fill the position and you could find the perfect job😉

This is one of the things we like about HAL, in most cases servers serve us.  Very few things are self serve in Lido.

• Like 2