Israel traveling

Back to school

8 minutes ago, VivaBarcelona said:

No, that’s not what we want. Let those who don’t care if they are getting an inferior product accept the downgraded package and sail off into the sunset or sunrise, but give the money back to those who know a rotten deal when they see one. Cash refund, not some wish washy promise of some future cruise, or a partial payment if there prices go up. Return our substantial investments now, and we will invest it in Viking when next we sail again, but at our time and where we want. Maybe even to Israel when next it is safe to sail there again.

Please post here if you get a refund. 

37 minutes ago, VivaBarcelona said:

No, that’s not what we want. Let those who don’t care if they are getting an inferior product accept the downgraded package and sail off into the sunset or sunrise, but give the money back to those who know a rotten deal when they see one. Cash refund, not some wish washy promise of some future cruise, or a partial payment if there prices go up. Return our substantial investments now, and we will invest it in Viking when next we sail again, but at our time and where we want. Maybe even to Israel when next it is safe to sail there again.

Perhaps you haven’t read the terms and conditions for your cruise. Viking can alter the itinerary whenever and however it wants, at its sole discretion. You agreed to that when you signed up.

BTW, I’ve been to Israel and the West Bank on my own. Take it from me — you’ll have a more enjoyable trip elsewhere.

• Like 5

On 10/22/2023 at 3:42 PM, edward77 said:

2 days in Cyprus and 2 days in Malta NOT OK. Should have cxl'd Cyprus, added Sicily and Malta and a 2nd day in Naples would have been satisfactory for us. As you say, lack of Options is frustrating when the headline billing of the cruise has been cancelled. We have loved Viking but we are done  with them as there are other options out there. As much as we have enjoyed cruising with them , We think they really dropped the ball on this one and the $250 per person is an insult.

NCL is giving us $200 per cabin 🫠

19 minutes ago, millybess said:

That’s interesting. 

Is NCL’s new itinerary similar to Viking’s new itinerary?

We lost Israel, Patmos and Rhodes.  Gained Mykonos and two sea days.  We fly out of anthens now.  Still have Istanbul and Cyprus, Santorini, kusadasa, Florence, Naples and Rome. 12 day NCL epic leaving Nov 8 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mbennett71 said:

We lost Israel, Patmos and Rhodes.  Gained Mykonos and two sea days.  We fly out of anthens now.  Still have Istanbul and Cyprus, Santorini, kusadasa, Florence, Naples and Rome. 12 day NCL epic leaving Nov 8 

That sounds nice. It is certainly a cruise we would take. Rhodes is on our yet to do list. I hope you enjoy your cruise. 

So many folks on this thread were looking forward to their “Holy Land” cruise. Here’s hoping you all can make lemonade out of lemons. 

We did the Jerusalem pre excursion before the Pyramids and Pharohs cruise on the Nile.  I would not want to do a day trip to Jerusalem from a cruise ship as it would be a long day.  The time that we were in Jerusalem was plenty for our desires and it allowed free time.  I recognize that losing two ports and parts of three days is a below expectations, but that is still a great itinerary.

I recommend a combination Israel and Jordan land trip.  Jordan is amazing and to me better than Israel.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, millybess said:

That sounds nice. It is certainly a cruise we would take. Rhodes is on our yet to do list. I hope you enjoy your cruise. 

So many folks on this thread were looking forward to their “Holy Land” cruise. Here’s hoping you all can make lemonade out of lemons. 

I’m not sure why when they removed Israel they also took off Patmos and Rhodes.  I’m really bummed about that. But we’re hoping just to stay safe and have the best time we can. Thanks for the well wishes 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RD64 said:

@millybess everyone was looking forward to their Holy Land cruise- but was nobody interested in doing it as an actual land vacation - just a drive-by?

This was my in-laws opportunity to go to Jerusalem - they have never traveled out side of the country so this was THE big trip and a cruise seemed a lot more structured and doable than a land trip. 

3 minutes ago, RD64 said:

@millybess everyone was looking forward to their Holy Land cruise- but was nobody interested in doing it as an actual land vacation - just a drive-by?

You’re right. I wouldn’t do it as a drive by. A lot would be missed. 

Haifa doesn’t have much to offer. Tel Aviv - city and beach is phenomenal, especially at night. Tiberius - Sea of Galilee overlooking the Golan Heights. My personal favourite Eilat, now Taba bordering on the Sinai. Not to mention the Dead Sea, Jerusalem and Bethlehem at Christmas. 

Thanks for posting.

A 3 week DIY would be so much better and you would  experience so much more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, millybess said:

You’re right. I wouldn’t do it as a drive by. A lot would be missed. 

Haifa doesn’t have much to offer. Tel Aviv - city and beach is phenomenal, especially at night. Tiberius - Sea of Galilee overlooking the Golan Heights. My personal favourite Eilat, now Taba bordering on the Sinai. Not to mention the Dead Sea, Jerusalem and Bethlehem at Christmas. 

Thanks for posting.

A 3 week DIY would be so much better and you would  experience so much more. 

I agree with your assessments of Haifa, Jerusalem, and the Dead Sea (Masada). Mixed feelings about Bethlehem in the West Bank, but still glad I visited (just to ponder the animosity on display toward nearby Israeli settlements).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

I agree with your assessments of Haifa, Jerusalem, and the Dead Sea (Masada). Mixed feelings about Bethlehem in the West Bank, but still glad I visited (just to ponder the animosity on display toward nearby Israeli settlements).

There is nobody more eager to have a political discussion on the Mid-East, and in particular the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, the refugee camps, the settlements and current events. Just direct me to that discussion. It won’t be happening here, and rightfully so. 

• Like 3

I know that a land tour of Israel is preferable, but we were happy to see as much as we could during 3 days there.  We enjoy cruising and seeing snippets of various places.  We enjoy the comfort, food and security of cruising.  We know that we will be well taken care of in a clean environment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RD64 said:

After we had to cancel our Holy Land cruise, we ended up doing a land trip instead (more than a year later). In retrospect I’m very glad it turned out that way. A couple of days there would not have been enough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Twitchly said:

After we had to cancel our Holy Land cruise, we ended up doing a land trip instead (more than a year later). In retrospect I’m very glad it turned out that way. A couple of days there would not have been enough.

I think the vast majority of people, even prior to the latest problems ( and we spoke with many) were not comfortable flying in and out of Israel spending extended time on a land vacation. Most wanted 3 days to see the highlights and were not interested in a deep dive. They could see most of what they wanted with rhe security of the ship.

This is what we find appealing about cruising. One can see a quick overview and sometimes more and if some destination looks super interesting, then you can return for extended time at a later date.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Unfortunately, traveling with someone with medical dietary requirements does not allow for land travel.  When we checked most land tours will not guarantee that medical diets can be accommodated although they say they will try their best.

Whereas, cruises tend to handle special dietary needs quite readily.

1 hour ago, leishirsute said:

Unfortunately, traveling with someone with medical dietary requirements does not allow for land travel.  When we checked most land tours will not guarantee that medical diets can be accommodated although they say they will try their best.

Whereas, cruises tend to handle special dietary needs quite readily.

Israel is among the easiest countries in the world to visit if one has a special diet. They are accustomed to people having a special diet (eg kosher). I have traveled to Israel with people who are vegan, vegetarian, diabetic, and mega fussy with little difficulty. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Booked to travel on October 29 for pre cruise stay in Athens with a cruise starting November 3 on Viking Sky. We are waiting to see if escalations occur before deciding whether or not to cancel. We are retired military and Very Concerned with the Navy build up, it is massive. Does anyone experienced have any thoughts on Athens population reactions if this does escalate? Viking has not changed anything and are waiting to make changes. It’s a little maddening since most cruise lines have changed itenaries.

• Like 1

Read your insurance policy and read Viking's cancellation policy.  You may not be covered if you cancel now. 

Also read the thread Israel traveling, where part of the conversation is about canceling one's cruise. 

Edited by Peregrina651

To all on the 11/16 Viking sailing to the Cities of Antiquity and the Holy Land.

We reached out to Viking expressing our concern regarding sailing in the Eastern Mediterranean given the on going conflicts and asked for either a credit or refund. We were asked if our insurance (not thru Viking) would cover our loss. We followed up with our insurance and because Viking substituted alternate port stops, our coverage was null so no help with insurance. We were told by a Viking supervisor to let them know what we learned. We did and Viking issued us a full credit for monies spent with a one year booking window (but not a one year cruising window). Our insurance also refunded our premium because we cancelled and were credited by Viking and would not be filing any claims. Not a perfect solution, but in our opinion one that we can easily live with! It also restores my faith in Viking after weeks of thinking we would lose all our travel money.

Our Viking TA encouraged me to post this for those who are feeling they may also lose their investment. He also told me that as of today 190 cabins had cancelled for this sailing. Hope this helps any of you out there feeling as disappointed as we were.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am Happy for you. And I mean it.😬

I begged Viking last week to take my $4000 and use the monies from my Holy land cruise and put me on a repositioning cruise next fall.  “No can do” I was told.  Now I have the exact situation (different insurance not Viking) and I’m out $18,000.

1 minute ago, Mitten5 said:

I am Happy for you. And I mean it.😬

I begged Viking last week to take my $4000 and use the monies from my Holy land cruise and put me on a repositioning cruise next fall.  “No can do” I was told.  Now I have the exact situation (different insurance not Viking) and I’m out $18,000.

I would call again and ask for a supervisor.  To be out that money is outrageous, especially since they are giving vouchers.  Do not accept this.  Be persistent, but nice.  Please let us know.

2 hours ago, Avidtravelersx2 said:

To all on the 11/16 Viking sailing to the Cities of Antiquity and the Holy Land.

We reached out to Viking expressing our concern regarding sailing in the Eastern Mediterranean given the on going conflicts and asked for either a credit or refund. We were asked if our insurance (not thru Viking) would cover our loss. We followed up with our insurance and because Viking substituted alternate port stops, our coverage was null so no help with insurance. We were told by a Viking supervisor to let them know what we learned. We did and Viking issued us a full credit for monies spent with a one year booking window (but not a one year cruising window). Our insurance also refunded our premium because we cancelled and were credited by Viking and would not be filing any claims. Not a perfect solution, but in our opinion one that we can easily live with! It also restores my faith in Viking after weeks of thinking we would lose all our travel money.

Our Viking TA encouraged me to post this for those who are feeling they may also lose their investment. He also told me that as of today 190 cabins had cancelled for this sailing. Hope this helps any of you out there feeling as disappointed as we were.

I was told the other day by Berkshire Hathaway whom I took the insurance with that if we got vouchers and sent the proof, they would roll over our insurance money to the new cruise.  That would be a saving of over $2200.  I will call tomorrow and double-check.

• Thanks 1