Does NCL do Wake-Up Calls?

Hydro ergo

Hi Everyone,

Ridiculous old school question here...does NCL do wake-up calls?  I've sailed many times and always use my phone or a little travel clock.  However, I'm trying really hard to cut down on packing for this next one and have a low-level interior cabin and worried about the phone working and time change and all that.  A good old fashioned wake up call would help alleviate the stress as we do have a few days where we will need to be up EARLY to be off the ship for 6/630am excursions.

I did see a thread from back in 2007 that they were available, but was hoping for something a bit more up to date 😉

thank you!

16 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Before your cruise, practice manually setting your time and your alarm on your phone. That is the best

huh, learn something new everyday, I didn't realize this was possible, I'll have to check it out.  thanks!

• Like 1

You can set a wakeup call on your room phone.

you can also use your phone/tablet as an alarm but be careful - depending on the settings, your time could be off if you change time zones and your device decides to update - or not - as you reach land.

Had that happen to me on a repo cruise from San Diego to Florida.  Phone didn't update the whole time we were outside the US - but decided to update by 3 hours when we got close to land, so my alarm time got bypassed!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

thank you everyone, glad I'm not the only old fashioned one out here!

@julig22 -- your repositioning issue is EXACTLY what I'm trying to avoid---relying on a potentially confused "smart" phone 😆

This is what I travel with- it's magnetic so sticks to the wall.  And I personally like having a clock somewhere in the cabin.

image.thumb.png.2d41d3eba884fef17b60668f83c76c3f.png

• Like 2

Does NCL offer northern lights wake up calls? I know with Celebrity you could get on a list that if the northern lights where out one night they would do a wake up call to everyone on the list. Unfortunately no northern lights on my last Alaskan cruise.

7 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Does NCL offer northern lights wake up calls? I know with Celebrity you could get on a list that if the northern lights where out one night they would do a wake up call to everyone on the list. Unfortunately no northern lights on my last Alaskan cruise.

I've been told they do but never signed up.

I once asked about having the choice to have announcements made into the rooms (can't hear anything when they are just in the hallways, unless you happen to have the tv on and set to the right channel). They said that option exists on the 2 newest ships - hopefully they will retrofit the others.  I'd be more than happy to get a middle-of-the-night wakeup call. Or when there's a pod of whales or other wildlife (yes, they do have a whale-sighter on the bridge).

31 minutes ago, julig22 said:

This is what I travel with- it's magnetic so sticks to the wall.  And I personally like having a clock somewhere in the cabin.

2 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Not when you need a wake-up call for early Shorex!!   VBG

My alarm clock costs a lot more than yours 

image.png.9753e317719781ea475210f56f4b8dbe.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Plus there must be an app to set the alarm based on a time zone in case you change zones without realizing 

You can manually change the time on a phone, so that the phone is displaying whatever ship time/local time/etc. This is what I do when I cruise as I am generally in airplane mode so the phone won't change time zones automatically. 

Also, thank you to the OP for creating such a wholesome (as the kids would say) conversation. Thank you!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You can manually change the time on a phone, so that the phone is displaying whatever ship time/local time/etc. This is what I do when I cruise as I am generally in airplane mode so the phone won't change time zones automatically. 

Also, thank you to the OP for creating such a wholesome (as the kids would say) conversation. Thank you!

Thats what I usually do but some cruises change more time zones than others. My upcoming cruises crosses 6 time zones in 15 days. Keeping it all straight will require having ship time and local time on my phones screen for port days. During the crossing I will have to shift the time daily I think. It’s absolutely possible I will forget to change the time on at-least one occasion. Having an app that will manage multiple timezones would help prevent this. In port my phone will be on with a local SIM card.

So, last fall I was in Europe when there was a time change ( DST ). Lots of angry passengers that got up an hour early because their phones changed and the ship didn't notify them, etc. Well, the ship didn't notify them because there wasn't actually a time change where we were docking.

And rarely, the ship will not switch to local time. Sometimes happens on trips that zig zag between time zones.

I'll stick to my low tech solutions. I also have a dual time zone watch. Set to my home zone and I change the current zone as necessary.

• Like 2

My daughter once suggested figuring out how many hours you had before needing to wake up, then setting a timer instead of an alarm.  It requires a little thought before going to bed, but timers aren’t impacted by time zones.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Thats what I usually do but some cruises change more time zones than others. My upcoming cruises crosses 6 time zones in 15 days. Keeping it all straight will require having ship time and local time on my phones screen for port days. During the crossing I will have to shift the time daily I think. It’s absolutely possible I will forget to change the time on at-least one occasion. Having an app that will manage multiple timezones would help prevent this. In port my phone will be on with a local SIM card.

I hadn't considered this...I guess I'm in for a lot of work on my Transatlantic since I'll be crossing a few time zones myself. Interesting!!

• Like 1