Early or later embarkation to get best cabin choice for GTY

doradoolittle

My husband and I will be on the Island Princess leaving Southampton on Oct 30.  We have a guaranteed cabin but no assignment.  Would we fare better if we embark early to get a good cabin location assignment or should we embark late and see if our cabin class is checked-in full with the potential of a free upgrade?  Any thoughts?  TY

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  As @Snaxmuppet and @Essiesmom stated above, your cabin will be assigned (probably) several days before sailing.  The time you arrive at the terminal has no bearing on *that* part of your cruise.  One thing that arriving early *does* do for you is give you a chance to have lunch in the Main Dining Room, starting your cruise off "in style".  (We have NEVER gotten to the terminal early enough to do lunch in the MDR!)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I thought guaranteed cabins were assigned long before sailing. How is it your cabin is not yet assigned? Is that normal?

I guess I sort of misspoke.  We have a guaranteed inside booking but no assigned cabin yet.  Many moons ago we had done the same type of booking on a different cruise line and were upgraded for free to an outside cabin.

On the Medallion app it says our deck is pending and there is no cabin number assigned.

Edited by doradoolittle

If you are proposing to go to guest services and ask for an upgrade, I have my doubts about your chances of success. They could offer a paid upgrade if cabins are available. I think early is better than late. That way they can tell you to come back at 5:00 to see if someone failed to arrive. Good luck. 

• Like 1

The one time we had a GTY cabin I think it was 2 or 3 days before actual sailing before we knew.  It turns out they gave us one of the accessible cabins.  I can certainly understand why they might hold that cabin class to the last minute before assigning it.

• Like 1

Princess will either assign you a cabin or give you a move over offer before embarkation.  I've had my guaranteed cabin assigned in as little as 12 hours before embarkation, usually before.  Check your Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website the night before boarding the ship.  Princess usually also e-mails you a new Booking Confirmation with your cabin assignment once it's assigned.  It's not unusual for the "boarding pass" in App to show the Deck and Cabin number as pending the day before up a few hours before boarding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Princess will either assign you a cabin or give you a move over offer before embarkation.  I've had my guaranteed cabin assigned in as little as 12 hours before embarkation, usually before.  Check your Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website the night before boarding the ship.  Princess usually also e-mails you a new Booking Confirmation with your cabin assignment once it's assigned.  It's not unusual for the "boarding pass" in App to show the Deck and Cabin number as pending the day before up a few hours before boarding.

We too have noticed lately the app right before boarding shows pending cabin assignment.  When we boarded our medallion had all the proper information so no problems were incurred. 

6 hours ago, doradoolittle said:

I guess I sort of misspoke.  We have a guaranteed inside booking but no assigned cabin yet.  Many moons ago we had done the same type of booking on a different cruise line and were upgraded for free to an outside cabin.

On the Medallion app it says our deck is pending and there is no cabin number assigned.

Use Princess.com and login to Cruise Personalizer and check there.  It may take a bit of time to sync to the App.  I would trust the CP.  Probably will be updated there sometime next week.

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The one time we had a GTY cabin I think it was 2 or 3 days before actual sailing before we knew.  It turns out they gave us one of the accessible cabins.  I can certainly understand why they might hold that cabin class to the last minute before assigning it.

Same thing happened to us. Booked a balcony GTY (I think it was our 2nd cruise) and were assigned an aft accessible mini. GREAT cabin! If we'd Sabatini's breakfast, it would have been a world-beater.

Even if it does not show in your documentation, Princess will have assigned your cabin before you reach the port to board. That cabin will be the category you booked or a higher category. There are 4 interior categories, IA, IB, IC and ID. For example, if you booked an IC category you will not be placed into an ID category. In this example one may be assigned to an IB or IA. Sometimes even a higher category such as an outside view cabin. That's the way it works.

When you reach the pier if you do not already have your luggage tags printed from a PC the luggage handlers will have them. They should also have a listing of your name and cabin number to write on the luggage tags.   

13 minutes ago, skynight said:

They should also have a listing of your name and cabin number to write on the luggage tags.   

The porters have a passenger manifest on them and are expected to sift through 2000 line items to find your cabin at the curb?

I've had both-  notification a few days prior to sailing and notification 6 weeks prior to sailing. My cabin was in the class I booked. I think upgrades will go to those who bid for them and are prepared to pay a bit extra but its possible you may get an interior cabin in a better location.

11 hours ago, doradoolittle said:

My husband and I will be on the Island Princess leaving Southampton on Oct 30.  We have a guaranteed cabin but no assignment.  Would we fare better if we embark early to get a good cabin location assignment or should we embark late and see if our cabin class is checked-in full with the potential of a free upgrade?  Any thoughts?  TY

Anyone with a guarantee is supposed to have the details before your cruise. Even if you didn’t know you can’t pick at the terminal. It’s already been assigned. Are you booked through a T/A/?  If so contact them ASAP & ask your question & post back here. 

Tom😀

5 hours ago, Cruisintimer said:

We too have noticed lately the app right before boarding shows pending cabin assignment.  When we boarded our medallion had all the proper information so no problems were incurred. 

I’m curious as to how you printed out your name tags so while outside the terminal you could check in your luggage?

Tom🤔

We are happy with our room selection as that fits into our budget.  I just didn't know if they offered a free upgrade at check-in if they have overbooked that category and wondered if getting the opportunity to be offered one (if what I just mentioned is even a thing) would be greater if we checked-in earlier or later.  I'm just glad to be going on vacation!  :')

I booked directly through princess.com.  Looking on the Cruise Personalizer if I pull up my luggage tag it reads that my stateroom is to be assigned.  Looks like I'll be making a phone call in the morning.

59 minutes ago, doradoolittle said:

Looks like I'll be making a phone call in the morning.

Don't waste your time.  Princess will assign you a room when they are ready, not when you are ready.  Such are the terms of booking guarantee.  When Princess assigns you a room, it will reflect in your Cruise Personalizer and on your luggage tags.  Princess can assign you a room all the way up to embarkation day morning; rare but I've read on this forum that it happens.  (The latest I've received a cabin assignment is the evening before embarkation.)  If you are leaving early (pre-cruise stay in embarkation city), bring a laptop (gain permission from hotel front desk to save as PDF and email to them and have them print it) or a gain access to the Internet and a printer.  If you can't do this, remember your cabin assignment from the Cruise Personalizer and on embarkation day, tell the porter with luggage tags to manually write in your cabin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Don't waste your time.  Princess will assign you a room when they are ready, not when you are ready.  Such are the terms of booking guarantee.  When Princess assigns you a room, it will reflect in your Cruise Personalizer and on your luggage tags.  Princess can assign you a room all the way up to embarkation day morning; rare but I've read on this forum that it happens.  (The latest I've received a cabin assignment is the evening before embarkation.)  If you are leaving early (pre-cruise stay in embarkation city), bring a laptop (gain permission from hotel front desk to save as PDF and email to them and have them print it) or a gain access to the Internet and a printer.  If you can't do this, remember your cabin assignment from the Cruise Personalizer and on embarkation day, tell the porter with luggage tags to manually write in your cabin.

Agree.  Phone reps won't know anything and cannot do a cabin assignment.  Another dept and they won't even be working on Sunday.

11 hours ago, Outerdog said:

The porters have a passenger manifest on them and are expected to sift through 2000 line items to find your cabin at the curb?

Unless you wheel your own luggage onto the ship, without a luggage tag your luggage will arrive on board and be in limbo until staff can locate you by your name tag. If you know your cabin number and do not have a luggage tag then it's easier. Chances are the poster's cabin number will be known before sailing.