Group live: Valiant Lady Barcelona to Miami 10/29-11/12, Everyone Welcome

CineGraphic

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Dinner at the Wake last night was just “meh”. Filet was dry, fish over-seasoned, and you’d think it would be possible to get your coffee and dessert served at the same time in this sort of setting but we stared at our desserts for 10 minutes before our coffees arrived.

That's been the feedback from others who's perspective I trust. I don't plan to book The Wake for dinner on our upcoming sailing - my wife is 95% vegetarian so it's not a good fit even if service and food were great.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

I was looking forward to RD fried chicken and that chocolate taco and steak at Pink Agave! Sometimes the pictures look better than the food, and I was really hopeful for that chocolate taco, LOL, glad to hear that you find it better 😊 

I've seen pictures of a slice of watermelon at razzle dazzle with lots of stuff on it that just looks beautiful, is that for real?

Yes, we had breakfast at RD this morning, and the breakfast/brunch menu is unchanged.  Yes, it is a slice of watermelon with a bit of some cream substance and lots of berries on top.  They still have our favs--buckwheat waffles and bacon.  And for southerners who want chicken and waffles, you can order the patty from the chicken sandwich with an order of the waffles.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 10:43 AM, cantgetin said:

Boarding at Terminal A was similar to previous boardings.  We arrived at about 1:30, had priority boarding, and were in our cabin by about 2.  Some of the steps had been simplified, which was nice.  We groaned when we saw the line for luggage drop off but were given a short cut; from there things went quickly.  As usual, there were people standing in the 3:15 time slot at 1:30.  We've heard that they were actually able to check in and board about 2:30 and from there it was open boarding as people arrived.  Boarding was totally efficient for us and the terminal crew was lovely...knew their jobs well after the summer season, and the move to Terminal A didn't change 

Our first Virgin voyage. We do have DBE. We also arrived at 1:30 PM, but didn’t reach our cabin until after 3:00, apparently due to DBE not showing up. We got in the long luggage drop off line, but a Virgin employee directed us to another line, because we just had carryons and backpack. After checking our passports we were given a card that said expedited and told to get in another line where we stood for another hour watching people go around it. Once we got to the counter we were told we didn’t have DBE, but she checked and then said we did. In my feedback I mentioned this snafu and also that our cabin was too warm even with the thermostat turned all the way down. This morning the steward called to see if had been fixed. It had been, so they do read Feedback.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billco said:

Our first Virgin voyage. We do have DBE. We also arrived at 1:30 PM, but didn’t reach our cabin until after 3:00, apparently due to DBE not showing up. We got in the long luggage drop off line, but a Virgin employee directed us to another line, because we just had carryons and backpack. After checking our passports we were given a card that said expedited and told to get in another line where we stood for another hour watching people go around it. Once we got to the counter we were told we didn’t have DBE, but she checked and then said we did. In my feedback I mentioned this snafu and also that our cabin was too warm even with the thermostat turned all the way down. This morning the steward called to see if had been fixed. It had been, so they do read Feedback.

On our second sailing with DBE, they tried to tell us we didn't have it.  Fortunately, I saved a screenshot of our "You got it" email.  It made no sense as first and third times it showed up with no problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billco said:

that our cabin was too warm even with the thermostat turned all the way down. This morning the steward called to see if had been fixed.

make sure your balcony door is closed and locked.  we had an issue where our door somehow got slightly off the track, so it wasn't hitting the sensors when closed & locked.  maintenance had to come fix it and it was fine after.

two other tips - close your curtains during the day when you're not in the room, and use the light above the bed sparingly.  those bulbs burn HOT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, scubagal44 said:

The fried chicken is currently on the RD menu, so you're in luck! I had the Pink Agave steak last week and it was perfection, and hubby also got the tacos and he loved them!

Hubby also got the aforementioned watermelon at RD during brunch, and yes, it's for real! His pictured below. 🥰 Don't miss the bacon at RD, either! It's to die for. 

20231030_193639.jpg

Wow 😍 that's awesome looking! Thanks for posting 🙂 and bacon? I love bacon. I don't think there's anything that isn't better with bacon, as long as it's not pale, soft, and wimpy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Yes, we had breakfast at RD this morning, and the breakfast/brunch menu is unchanged.  Yes, it is a slice of watermelon with a bit of some cream substance and lots of berries on top.  They still have our favs--buckwheat waffles and bacon.  And for southerners who want chicken and waffles, you can order the patty from the chicken sandwich with an order of the waffles.

How about chicken, waffles and bacon? I think that I might be gaining some weight on this trip, hope I can get into some of those fitness classes, LOL 

4 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

How about chicken, waffles and bacon? I think that I might be gaining some weight on this trip, hope I can get into some of those fitness classes, LOL 

You know the song from Mary Poppins that includes the line, "Order what you will, there'll be no bill". yup, same here.......

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

make sure your balcony door is closed and locked.  we had an issue where our door somehow got slightly off the track, so it wasn't hitting the sensors when closed & locked.  maintenance had to come fix it and it was fine after.

two other tips - close your curtains during the day when you're not in the room, and use the light above the bed sparingly.  those bulbs burn HOT!

It’s been fine since I reported it. I don’t know how the steward knew we had a problem. This morning maintenance called and wanted to verify it was working properly.

• Like 1

This was our first Halloween at sea, and it was great. The costumes ranged from simple tee shirts like ours, (mine said, pretend I’m an octopus) to very extravagant outfits. Some people put a lot of thought into their outfits. 

The weather in Malaga is outstanding today. Pam and I did a private wine tour booked through Viator. They took us to a lovely vineyard and family owned winery where we sampled quite a bit, including one wine from 1970.

This is our first time in Spain and we’re looking forward to returning next September when we sail on the Resilient Lady.

IMG_4353.jpeg

IMG_4336.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

IMG_4317.jpeg

IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4425.jpeg

• Like 9

The group doing the Sanderson Sisters last night were amazing!

Tonight was our best ever dinner at The Wake.  We have 30+ nights on board ...and our previous sailings found The Wake to be a disappointment.  Tonight was very good.  We both had the Clam Chowder--good as always.  Hanger steak and filet, both medium.  The hanger had good flavor but was a bit tough.  The filet was wonderful.  Service was good. Ended with apple tatin and lemon cheesecake with tea.  Start to finish was about 90 minutes. It was a serious improvement in both food and service from our previous sailings.  

• Like 7

7 hours ago, jon81uk said:

We had very bad weather on the sea day between Malaga and Funchal a year ago too.

A lot of people  were carrying on about the seas then and now, but we've seen a lot more rough. I was walking almost straight an hour ago, but it has picked up again.  Even more remarkable that the entertainers are able to do their shows with no issues!

Dinner at Gunbae-again food quality better than 6 months ago.  I'm starting to think VV got the message that a line becoming known for their food quality can't tolerate a slip, so they have reversed it.

• Like 6

Not sure if anyone has another voyage to compared it to, but how do you find these ships taking the waves on the open sea? 

I got seasick for the first time ever this last June on a small cruise ship and boy was that hard! 🤢 I grew up near the water and have had boats, never been a problem. Now it's something I'm going to have to think about, LOL.  🚢

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Not sure if anyone has another voyage to compared it to, but how do you find these ships taking the waves on the open sea? 

Not a problem...in fact, I rather enjoy it.  On the other hand, I used to get very seasick in small boats even on smooth waters (OK, the guy driving tended to be a show off)

• Like 2

Well, the Wake is 0 for 2 for dinner, which is sad because it has such potential based on the theme and prime real estate.

They had French Onion Soup as a special, which was nice, and our main courses were “ok”. I heard several tables mention the meats were dry….sure wish they had a nice demi-glaze sauce for the lamb or an au poivre sauce for the steaks. For me, “American steak sauce” is a step up from ketchup.

I've learned that the ship has more new servers than usual, because many previous crew had to be transferred to other ships because they couldn’t get US visas. When we arrived our server was clearly in the weeds with 6 tables, so we didn’t try to make things any harder for him.

Our dessert and coffee course was the worst of all. Tepid, watery coffee and a vanilla latte that had no flavor at all.

IMG_4551.jpeg

On 10/30/2023 at 10:39 PM, scubagal44 said:

The fried chicken is currently on the RD menu, so you're in luck! I had the Pink Agave steak last week and it was perfection, and hubby also got the tacos and he loved them!

Hubby also got the aforementioned watermelon at RD during brunch, and yes, it's for real! His pictured below. 🥰 Don't miss the bacon at RD, either! It's to die for. 

20231030_193639.jpg

On 10/30/2023 at 10:39 PM, scubagal44 said:

20231030_193639.jpg

I know everyone raved over RD's bacon, but I then read it had brown sugar....Not sure I'd be a fan.  Is it really sweet?  I love regular bacon.

Just now, tbmrt said:

I know everyone raved over RD's bacon, but I then read it had brown sugar....Not sure I'd be a fan.  Is it really sweet?  I love regular bacon.

I cure and smoke bacon at home, and find the RD bacon to be way too sweet, almost candied.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had a wonderful day in Madeira yesterday. Here’s a shot from a local website of our sail-away.

IMG_4560.webp.9d33c2cdfe4be7393cbc77649d538889.webp

Although the seas were a bit rocky last night, things have really smoothed out this morning.

Here’s our current position, and internet speed test results. (Premium WiFi)

IMG_4562.thumb.png.59b8931604f8f92b5b0d1d6d55e660ad.png

IMG_4561.thumb.png.365ab7a5f994a1dc05a2e1fe7c82a596.png

• Like 4

I did the VHS workout this morning--maintaining balance was far more difficult than doing the workout...things are rocking a bit, but we enjoy the motion of the ocean,  Brunch at The Wake was nice, nothing to write home about.  I did the fennel salad and French Toast,  The steak sauce expert in our group rejected the sauces available at dinner, but the steaks were excellent,

Reply to the above on the RD bacon--very sweet, sometimes more peppery than other times.

Many of the servers from April are here again, but most have changed restaurants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday we attended Bingo With The Diva for the second time, and it was packed! The jackpots were more than doubled than the earlier session a few days ago. The jackpot for the final game yesterday was over $2300.00.

Carlos the Diva is fantastic and seems to have endless energy. (Whatever she’s on, I want it!)

IMG_4438.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The seas get smoother every day.

There’s at least one reported case of Covid on board, and she’s isolated in her cabin for a few days, and states that they are taking great care of her.

Dinner last night at Pink Agave was fantastic. It was our 2nd time there this sailing and we have reservations there again on our last night on board.

They’ve tweaked the recipes just a bit on a few items. The chocolate tacos for dessert used to be good, now they’re great!

Internet for the most part has been good.

Here’s today’s speed test.

IMG_4592.png

• Like 4

FALSE ALARM!

We didn’t hear anything in our cabin because our VV apps weren’t open, but those who did see it, are not happy. Some folks panicked and raced to their cabins for life jackets.

A ship-wide announcement was made apologizing for the notification and explaining that it was a mistake made during a drill for all of the new crew on board.

IMG_4595.thumb.png.defc02a344179619721ad9d8bed9eee0.png

IMG_4596.thumb.png.90b4812c02bd8f1a201acac58629218e.png

• Like 1