Group live: Valiant Lady Barcelona to Miami 10/29-11/12, Everyone Welcome

CineGraphic

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

CineGraphic was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

A week from today, we'll be boarding the Valiant Lady in Barcelona for her 14 day sailing back to the states.

The Happenings Cast is a new one, and they officially start today.

VV Insider: Valiant Lady’s Sixth Happenings Cast In Rehearsal For 22 October Debut

The ship's schedule is a busy one with lots of guest entertainers.

I've looked a few of them up on Youtube, and I'm excited. There will plenty of good music and comedy on board.

Valiant Lady Daily Program

We will not be sailing full.

Current availability shows a handful of insides,160+ Sea Terraces, and 60+ Central Sea Terraces.

With a huge big soccer match scheduled for the day before departure, we've heard of a few people with long-standing AirB&B reservations in which the hosts have been trying to get them to cancel their bookings so they can re-book the spaces at much higher rates.

We booked our hotel room over a year ago, and the rates sky-rocketed once the soccer match was announced.

Pam & I are heading out on Wednesday, on a flight out of Boston that was half the price of flying out of our hometown, Atlanta.

I can't help it, I love a good bargain.

The airline, Level, is owned by the same group that owns British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus and Vueling.

Their Premium Economy seats are the same size as US-domestic first class.

Life is too short, and my waistline's too big to spend 7 hours crammed into a basic economy seat. Why be miserable!?

Here's a review of Level's Premium Economy from earlier this year: https://youtu.be/FXLbJhhmh8M

We're looking forward to meeting everyone on board.

Please feel free to contribute to the thread in your downtime.

• Like 7

We were able to do my favorite "trick" for flights. I cruised the April 23 Miami to BCN, so bought a round trip flight from BCN to home with the second leg for this cruise.  As you noted, also Premium Economy.  We were in Swiss last time, Lufthansa this time (same company operating under different names). The round trip is far cheaper than a one way ticket.  And, as you noted, the premium economy is well worth the cost on a long haul flight. Ours is a few hours longer since we will fly from the west coast.

Booked a hotel on Chase points a LONG time ago.  At that point it was a lot less than sites like hotels.com.  I checked last night.  Probably since we are not near that sports facilities, the cost has actually come down, but we still paid $5 less than the current listing if I translate points to dollars.  It is a hotel we've used before--nothing fancy, but comfortable and none of the hassles with AirBnB canceling people or advising them of "broken elevators," etc. to try to get them to cancel

Thanks for the links to the Happenings Cast.  Carlos is supposed to be great.

• Like 2

Trying to keep an open mind. But, after watching countless YouTube videos over the past several months and more recently videos of the upcoming entertainment on this cruise we are pretty sure this is going to be a one time cruise on Virgin. Hopefully, we will be changing our minds by the time we get to Miami. I'll report back if we do.

2 hours ago, billco said:

Trying to keep an open mind. But, after watching countless YouTube videos over the past several months and more recently videos of the upcoming entertainment on this cruise we are pretty sure this is going to be a one time cruise on Virgin. Hopefully, we will be changing our minds by the time we get to Miami. I'll report back if we do.

What doesn’t appeal about the entertainment?

Duel Reality is an excellent circus show, loosely based Romeo & Juliet. The Miss Behave show is a bit loud but it’s just a silly nothing comedy gameshow. It’s a Ship Show is live music and variety acts. Untitled DanceShowPartyThing is the most different of the main shows but it’s good fun watching the dancers.

Then on the transatlantic specifically there are a lot more guest comedy and magic acts, plus lectures and book clubs that don’t happen on the shorter cruises. 

2 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

I saw that a new Cast had joined Valiant, do we know how long their contracts typically last? Trying to determine if they'll still be aboard on the February 10th sailing next year - I'm guessing probably not.

Normally about five or six months.

Andy the Charmer posted on Instagram yesterday that it’s now home for 5.5 months, so currently a six month contract including the rehearsal time. But 5.5 months means they will leave Valiant Lady late March I expect. So they should be onboard in February.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We dropped the dog off at the sitters, and he ran right into their house, never once looking back.

It's nice to know he's in such good hands.

We're in the northern burbs of Atlanta, and I thought I'd try to snag a last-minute Priceline bargain on a hotel near the airport for tonight, but the odds were not in my favor.

It's a long day tomorrow. We're flying up to Boston in the morning. We have a day-room near the airport, and will probably drop our stuff off and take a water taxi into town. Then it's back to the airport for a late-night flight to BCN, arriving shortly after noon on Thursday.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 9:48 AM, CineGraphic said:

A week from today, we'll be boarding the Valiant Lady in Barcelona for her 14 day sailing back to the states.

The Happenings Cast is a new one, and they officially start today.

VV Insider: Valiant Lady’s Sixth Happenings Cast In Rehearsal For 22 October Debut

The ship's schedule is a busy one with lots of guest entertainers.

I've looked a few of them up on Youtube, and I'm excited. There will plenty of good music and comedy on board.

Valiant Lady Daily Program

We will not be sailing full.

Current availability shows a handful of insides,160+ Sea Terraces, and 60+ Central Sea Terraces.

With a huge big soccer match scheduled for the day before departure, we've heard of a few people with long-standing AirB&B reservations in which the hosts have been trying to get them to cancel their bookings so they can re-book the spaces at much higher rates.

We booked our hotel room over a year ago, and the rates sky-rocketed once the soccer match was announced.

Pam & I are heading out on Wednesday, on a flight out of Boston that was half the price of flying out of our hometown, Atlanta.

I can't help it, I love a good bargain.

The airline, Level, is owned by the same group that owns British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus and Vueling.

Their Premium Economy seats are the same size as US-domestic first class.

Life is too short, and my waistline's too big to spend 7 hours crammed into a basic economy seat. Why be miserable!?

Here's a review of Level's Premium Economy from earlier this year: https://youtu.be/FXLbJhhmh8M

We're looking forward to meeting everyone on board.

Please feel free to contribute to the thread in your downtime.

LOVE ❤️ Level/Iberia premium economy! I have an Iberia Chase Visa that I earn avios on and triple the avios for Level flights! Level/Iberia offers DIRECT flights from & to BCN & LAX. On the 2 flights booked with Level my premium eco seat cost less than $900 (bulkhead) for my one way direct flight! I’m on the Scarlet Lady TA from MIA to BCN in April and can’t wait 😜 booked my Level flight in June for that one. Booked Royal Caribbean for my November 24 TA from Barcelona to Port Canaveral. First time on RCL but I booked for the itinerary & price.

Edited by bdever
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cantgetin said:

People who love Iberia need to do some YouTube, CC, etc. reviews of their experiences,  What is available makes it sound quite awful.

True that. I’m the only one I know who loves it. Honestly it was the only time I’ve been able to sleep on a plane. I will do one in May when I come back from BCN to LAX. 

I found a great (timewise and cost) flight for our upcoming cruise, but the rest of the group vetoed Iberia.  We're paying more for a flight that really isn't as convenient, but I really couldn't argue with the negatives they found on line.  It went way beyond "there are always unhappy customers who write bad reviews.

53 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Our flight on Level/Iberia just landed, and we cleared immigration in less than 5 minutes. The flight was fine. Great crew, ok food. Premium Economy is the way to go….loads of legroom.

Thanks for updating on Level. I will look at it for a future trips.

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Our flight on Level/Iberia just landed, and we cleared immigration in less than 5 minutes. The flight was fine. Great crew, ok food. Premium Economy is the way to go….loads of legroom.

Premium Economy definitely the way to go on any long haul flight,  I've lost a lot of weight, but those standard economy seats are still too small....and on my last flight I had a guy who didn't understand that his leg space should be the same as his seat width, the he fell asleep and slumped over onto me.  Sorry, not sorry, I woke him up.  This was a domestic.

The leg room and recline were better than domestic first class. We were both actually able to sleep. It’s sad that people are afraid to stray from the brands they know, despite the reduction in quality & service. Thank G-d We strayed from Princess and found Virgin last year. It’s the best thing we’ve ever done. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

The leg room and recline were better than domestic first class. We were both actually able to sleep. It’s sad that people are afraid to stray from the brands they know, despite the reduction in quality & service. Thank G-d We strayed from Princess and found Virgin last year. It’s the best thing we’ve ever done. 

Totally agree on trying Virgin.  As for airlines, each of our recent European flights has been on a "new to us" airline, but we did check them out on line first.  Daughter had a really HORRIBLE international experience on American to the point that she won't fly them at all for any reason....and honestly, I can't blame her.  We were debating about Iberia till  the tipping point was that it is affiliated with the alliance that includes American.

Agree....our TA 6 months ago was our first experience with what was then called "European Premium."  Best flight ever and we actually slept.  Packed and ready to go; Will head to airport in a few hours.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Exactly! Was able to stretch out and actually sleep 😴 for 5+ hours 

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Oof….we book a particular cabin for its location, and I just noticed that they moved us much farther forward than we care to be. My TA is on the phone with them trying to get our original cabin back.

Just curious, did you book a guarantee? I would hate to be moved from a cabin I've chosen, I hope it gets straightened out and you have a fantastic time! I've never sailed across the Atlantic before, but it's on my bucket list even though my husband thinks it would be a very long, boring, journey, LOL, I think I would love it 🙂