Just back…Celebrity Equinox…10/14-10/22 ABC Islands

Susanb10567

We just returned from a 8 night ABC islands cruise on the Equinox. It was our first time not sailing in the Retreat and was very concerned about the sailing. We were in Aquaclass and had a great time. I’m glad I didn’t listen to the gloom and doom and cancel based on some of the reports here. We had great service, excellent food in Blu and a ton of fun with the activities team. Lewis the cruise director was terrific as well. The future cruise area was busy and people seemed to be having a fun time. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

The ports weren't bad either. I was on the Summit that week doing the same itinerary.

Agreed…this was our first time visiting these islands and really loved them..it was also  probably the best weather and smoothest seas we have ever had in the Caribbean…we are thinking of booking the same itinerary for 2025 

• Like 1

We were on same cruise. We were in main dining. We have taken over 70 cruises on X. The menus have a few different items but what was served was great. The fish dishes which are not always cooked well, too dry, were excellent on this cruise. Even the lunches on seas day were outstanding. The chef has a lot to do with good food. Simple apps were good on this cruise. We also ate at Sushi on 5 twice for lunch, great and Le patite chef in Quisine once, again great food this time. Last cruise in July not as good. We did two lunches in Oceanview and they were good. The only criticism we had was side entertainment was not as good as in July. Too many classical groups, not any acoustical guitar acts. We just spent more time in the Martini bar. We will miss the Equinox next summer, but look forward to the Edge and the many differences that it has to offer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pennstatedj said:

. Too many classical groups, not any acoustical guitar acts. We just spent more time in the Martini bar. We will miss the Equinox next summer, but look forward to the Edge and the many differences that it has to offer. 

Not quite like going to the Phyrst to hear the Physt Family or hanging out at the Corner Room!  (Couldn't help but notice your CC "name" - Pennstatedj)  Wouldn't it be great if Celebrity offered "sticky buns" in the Buffet? 

6 minutes ago, imlulu said:

Great to hear such positive experiences! We are doing same islands but on the a

Reflection. . Curious what folks did in Aruba and Curaçao. 

TIA 

We were originally booked on a ship excursion in the morning which was an island tour and beach time and then a schooner sunset sail…around a week before we got a email saying the morning excursion was moved to 2 pm…they should of notified me that there was a conflict now…but I just cancelled the island tour and beach time on my own…we decided to just take a cab to Eagle Beach first thing in the morning and were dropped off at coco loco beach club..when we arrived around 9…it was empty empty and we rented chairs and umbrellas….we had a lovely morning there and then went back to the ship for lunch and went on the sunset sail later.

In Curaçao we did an island tour stopped in curaçao distillery and then spent time at mambo beach wet and wild beach club.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pennstatedj said:

They have sticky buns once a weekly at cafe Baccio. They are good but not the same as the Diner.

Good to know about sticky buns in Baccio!  I won't be on Equinox again for a while but will soon be on the Silhouette and, in January, the Constellation.  I absolutely will try to track some down.  Maybe it will bring back memories of State College.

We were on this cruise as well.  Overall had a good time, but the pool deck was overcrowded on sea days particularly and they had chairs on top of other chairs and people were moving them so they could step besides the chairs, and so there were obstacles to avoid getting around.

The hours of OVC also made it impossible to navigate at lunch time, but I learned to go in there around 11:45 to find a table.

4 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

We just returned from a 8 night ABC islands cruise on the Equinox. It was our first time not sailing in the Retreat and was very concerned about the sailing. We were in Aquaclass and had a great time. I’m glad I didn’t listen to the gloom and doom and cancel based on some of the reports here. We had great service, excellent food in Blu and a ton of fun with the activities team. Lewis the cruise director was terrific as well. The future cruise area was busy and people seemed to be having a fun time. 

Thanks for the very positive review.  DH and I always enjoy the ABCs.

4 hours ago, imlulu said:

TIA 

we did a tour of the island. Had never been to north shore which is totally different.     Was well done

There is a dune buggy tour on north side, but be prepared, you will be very sandy/dusty.  LOL

Curacao is neat to have a beverage by the swing bridge.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, imlulu said:

TIA 

In Aruba we took a bus and catamaran tour. The bus was from 1992 (we asked, and it was a school bus) and needs an upgrade. Sound system was terrible.

In Curacao we did a bus tour that stopped at a rum distillery and Mambo Beach, we loved it! Tour guide was great and we got to go over the Queen Juliana bridge...if you're afraid of heights, don't look down...that's the highest bridge in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do you recall approximate times you had to be back on the ship in the ports? A person who I'm going with, who has been on dozens of cruises, is saying it's 5pm every day. Surely that can't be true when it stays in port until 10pm and 12am in 2 of the ports? 

Disappointing about the food. I've heard great things about X's MDR & buffet food, so we didn't book any of the a la carte restaurants. 😕 

We will be on the Equinox on Nov 21st to 30th to the ABC’s.  This will be a first time on Celebrity, we’re moving up I hope, former Holland and Royal Crib cruises.  I have question about wine, is there a wine only program where we can pre buy 5 or 7 bottles like we could on HAL or RCL?

thanks,  Chuck & Sarah

12 minutes ago, chuckcc said:

We will be on the Equinox on Nov 21st to 30th to the ABC’s.  This will be a first time on Celebrity, we’re moving up I hope, former Holland and Royal Crib cruises.  I have question about wine, is there a wine only program where we can pre buy 5 or 7 bottles like we could on HAL or RCL?

thanks,  Chuck & Sarah

No wine program that I know of. 

On 10/24/2023 at 4:31 PM, Susanb10567 said:

Was on the same sailing and agree with your thoughts.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 9:27 PM, ISABELLA said:

Finally! Some positive reviews about Equinox. We are looking forward to our upcoming cruise on Equinox in 2 weeks. 

I was on the Equinox with friends the week of Halloween. We had a great time. The food was really good in the MDR and buffet. The entertainment was OK but our cabin was in good shape and our cabin attendent was awesome!