Equinox vs Ascent

Cruiscs

Have previously been on Eclipse (2016) and Edge (2023) both in Europe. 

Planning Mediterranean next year and are torn between Ascent or Equinox. Traveling with people whom have never cruised before and want them to be impressed. 

Equinox itinerary: Barcelona - marseille- villefranche- Santa margherita- la Spezia (overnight) - Naples - Rome. 
Two tender ports. 

Ascent: Barcelona - villefransche- ajaccio- cagliari— valletta- messina- naples- Rome 

one tender port. 

any thoughts about these two itineraries?

Ascent will be at least $5000 more than Equinox. 

Love Edge class. Also loved the Solstice class but have read that they are tired now. 
anyone sailed on Equinox recently who would share their thoughts?

Thanks 

Edited by Cruiscs

Booked a b2b on Equinox in the med for next June have been on all Solstice class many times and the price was reasonable. Just last week I booked a 12 night med cruise on Ascent for September it will be a first on this class, it was quite a bit more expensive but excited to try the new ship! We will follow that cruise with a 7 night on MSC yacht club which board same day as we get off the Ascent, again a first time experience.Im sure we will have a great time on all 3 ships.But have a soft spot for Solstice ships and Equinox along with Reflection are favourites.Whatever ship you choose I’m sure you will enjoy I think the Mediterranean is the most beautiful cruise itinerary.Also Ascent visits Sardinia which is the only port we haven’t visited in that area.

Edited by di T
  • Like 2

Interesting choice. Equinox will just be out of dry dock and Ascent is brand new. I agree with previous. If you are in suite book Ascent, if you are aqua book Equinox, if regular then either will be great. Since you will be in Med you will be in port a lot, ship life is not important. If you like cash, Equinox is best. We just came off Equinox last week, Great cruise. We will be on Ascent first two weeks of Jan, 2024. We love S class and really love E class. E class has more lounges and spec restaurants. Cannot make a bad decision. Have a great time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

Interesting choice. Equinox will just be out of dry dock and Ascent is brand new. I agree with previous. If you are in suite book Ascent, if you are aqua book Equinox, if regular then either will be great. Since you will be in Med you will be in port a lot, ship life is not important. If you like cash, Equinox is best. We just came off Equinox last week, Great cruise. We will be on Ascent first two weeks of Jan, 2024. We love S class and really love E class. E class has more lounges and spec restaurants. Cannot make a bad decision. Have a great time. 

Do you know if the dry dock will include cosmetic touches or just technical maintenance?

Edited by Cruiscs

1 minute ago, Cruiscs said:

Do you know if the dry dock will include cosmetic tuches or just technical maintenance?

Celebrity probably been building a list for awhile on what to replace 

The shipyard will do everything possible if it fits the budget and timeline 

• Like 1

Interesting question…literally just got off the Equinox in Aquaclass…prior to that all my Celebrity cruises have been in sky suites in Edge class  (3 Edge and 1 Apex) and  revolutionized M class ships…I was hesitant about sailing the Equinox but we loved it and can’t wait for my July cruise on the Equinox that I had booked awhile ago…we spent more time on our veranda than ever…the furniture was so much more comfortable than the Edge class and we enjoyed the overhang on deck 11 so it wasn’t unbearably hot…we also heard no noise in our cabin from the pool deck above…

What category are you booking?

I would save the $5000 and put it towards another cruise…

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

Interesting question…literally just got off the Equinox in Aquaclass…prior to that all my Celebrity cruises have been in sky suites in Edge class  (3 Edge and 1 Apex) and  revolutionized M class ships…I was hesitant about sailing the Equinox but we loved it and can’t wait for my July cruise on the Equinox that I had booked awhile ago…we spent more time on our veranda than ever…the furniture was so much more comfortable than the Edge class and we enjoyed the overhang on deck 11 so it wasn’t unbearably hot…we also heard no noise in our cabin from the pool deck above…

What category are you booking?

I would save the $5000 and put it towards another cruise…

Thinking about a regular balcony

20 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I've been on the Equinox and the Ascent's sister, the Beyond. While the Ascent will be awesome, I would go back to the Equinox and save the money for things to do n the cruise.

Interesting. Ship wise: which do you prefer Equinox or Beyond of the price was the same?

i would pick EQUINOX.

Based on  Price diff and  fact that a  port intensive itin does not need the newest ship. 

There will be fewer guests to disembark at ports.  We used to like Century for Europe over larger ships!

Thoughts about the itineraries? Have never been to Malta, Sardinia and Sicily. But the overnight in La Spezia is a real draw. 

Also, really not a fan of tender ports. We are going in september/october. Whould hate of the tender ports gets cancelled due to high winds. In worst case scenario what if that happens? Then it will only be three ports during a 9 night cruise. Will they dock somewhere else?

Edited by Cruiscs

We love the S class ships.  Typically book a suite- we will sail on the Silly in about two months.  Reflection and Silhouette our favorites as we enjoy the Lawn club grill.  The Equinox was also great, but once you do the glass blowing, not again, IMO.  

We recently sailed on the Apex.  Sister of the Beyond.  Hands down the ship wins.  So if you enjoy time on the ship, dining on the ship- The e-class cannot be beat.  If its all about the cost and itinerary, do what works best for your budget.

On 10/25/2023 at 2:25 AM, Cruiscs said:

Have previously been on Eclipse (2016) and Edge (2023) both in Europe. 

Planning Mediterranean next year and are torn between Ascent or Equinox. Traveling with people whom have never cruised before and want them to be impressed. 

Equinox itinerary: Barcelona - marseille- villefranche- Santa margherita- la Spezia (overnight) - Naples - Rome. 
Two tender ports. 

Ascent: Barcelona - villefransche- ajaccio- cagliari— valletta- messina- naples- Rome 

one tender port. 

any thoughts about these two itineraries?

Ascent will be at least $5000 more than Equinox. 

Love Edge class. Also loved the Solstice class but have read that they are tired now. 
anyone sailed on Equinox recently who would share their thoughts?

Thanks 

Book Equinox no matter what type stateroom.  In a suite Luminae is light years better on S class ships than E class.  You are able to order from MDR menus, MUCH smaller venue than on E class, especially Ascent as that version of Luminae is supposed to be even bigger than other E ships.  No you won't have a "private" top deck but you're in the Med how often would you use it anyway?

If not in a suite I would book Aqua on S but not on E.  Again, Blu a much better venue than on E class.  

Martini bar on S class much nicer. 

You still have Sky lounge with wonderful ocean views at the top of ship, not on E class where only suites get that view.  

You have real balconies on S class, not a "window" balcony.

The only thing we found better on E class was the theater which was excellent.  

And the price...............

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Book Equinox no matter what type stateroom.  In a suite Luminae is light years better on S class ships than E class.  You are able to order from MDR menus, MUCH smaller venue than on E class, especially Ascent as that version of Luminae is supposed to be even bigger than other E ships.  No you won't have a "private" top deck but you're in the Med how often would you use it anyway?

If not in a suite I would book Aqua on S but not on E.  Again, Blu a much better venue than on E class.  

Martini bar on S class much nicer. 

You still have Sky lounge with wonderful ocean views at the top of ship, not on E class where only suites get that view.  

You have real balconies on S class, not a "window" balcony.

The only thing we found better on E class was the theater which was excellent.  

And the price...............

What about all the reports on the ship being tired and in dire need of a refurb 

Edited by Cruiscs