Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

1 hour ago, applefan75 said:

Exactly, I can’t get over all the complaining. For the men, they have blazers now with this unique fabric that is almost entirely wrinkle resistant and very lightweight. You can crumple it up or whatever in your luggage, and when you unpack, hang it up overnight and any wrinkles are gone. I have two of these, one in dark charcoal and the other in camel. Takes up no space in luggage. Incredibly versatile. 

What brand?

I'd love one. 

8 hours ago, GaitherBill said:

What brand?

I'd love one. 

Mine are Armani, which I know isn’t cheap but it’s a good investment. Has that timeless Armani look and can be worn for virtually any occasion from 3 Michelin star dining in Paris to wedding or funerals. No exaggeration on how wrinkles just fall out, and it’s lightweight material is a godsend in summer heat. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 4:49 AM, chrism23 said:

Can I put an end to the never-ending dress code debate.  I think every man in the world has a pair of chinos and a blue blazer.  That works for everything, formal, informal, casual. Just pack  the 2 items and wear them all the time if you choose.  Woman.  Same deal, I think every woman in the world has a little black dress.  It also works everywhere.  Issue settled, end of discussion, for ever.  😄

Hi, just for clarification, every woman does not own a little black dress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Carolfay said:

Yes, but I think you've identified one of the reasons this topic is so problematic for many women.

Nonsense no problem I dont have a LBD but I do have a couple of very pretty floaty tops which constitute "formal" wear worn over black trousers, little opportunity to wear this type of clothing elsewhere but just occasionally it is lovely to "dress up" so even if it usually only cruises then I will continue to do so.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 1:06 PM, Port Power said:

We know what you mean.  If not a “little black dress”, most of us would have an item or outfit as out go-to, evening out attire.  Perhaps navy, green or colourful, but the one to take if we can only pack one. 

Neither my husband nor I do.

we have basic business casual, but don’t own a dinner jacket or suit or anything similar.

Having been walking in Tokyo the last 5 days and on the Shinkansen today to Kyoto today I think both places people are more dressed up than the average SS passenger on an informal night in Atlantide. Very few men without a jacket. I don’t count winter coats as jackets. Winter though hasn’t really arrived.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 4:49 AM, chrism23 said:

Can I put an end to the never-ending dress code debate.  I think every man in the world has a pair of chinos and a blue blazer.  That works for everything, formal, informal, casual. Just pack  the 2 items and wear them all the time if you choose.  Woman.  Same deal, I think every woman in the world has a little black dress.  It also works everywhere.  Issue settled, end of discussion, for ever.  😄

Agree. I also bring a tie so that on formal nights I can wear my chinos and my blazer with a tie.

I wrote a respectful email to Barbara Muckermann asking for clarity about the dress code on the new Silver Ray.  She answered very quickly:

"I confirm to you that Silver Ray will showcase the same dress code as Silver Nova."

Good news!  [for some of us...]  Including the expedition ships that makes 5 out of 12 with a reasonable dress code.  Can the Muse class be far behind???

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wrote a respectful email to Barbara Muckermann asking for clarity about the dress code on the new Silver Ray.  She answered very quickly:

"I confirm to you that Silver Ray will showcase the same dress code as Silver Nova."

Good news!  [for some of us...]  Including the expedition ships that makes 5 out of 12 with a reasonable dress code.  Can the Muse class be far behind???

can you ask her if and when the rest of the fleet will follow?

Just now, Carolfay said:

There are those of us who choose Silversea because they continue to have some degree of formality.  I hope we won't be entirely ignored.

Great news! You will always be afforded the opportunity to dress up to your preference! 

• Like 4

Just now, Carolfay said:

There are those of us who choose Silversea because they continue to have some degree of formality.  I hope we won't be entirely ignored.

We are currently on the Dawn. Spoke to literally dozens of guests. NONE of them wants the current dress code. 

Remember that relaxing the dress code doesn’t mean allowing jeans, short or t shirts. There still will be formal nights, but rest of the nights those of us who don’t like it, will have an option to wear a nice dressy shirt with nice slacks, but no jackets. Those who still insist wearing jackets or ties can still do it.

The change is inevitable.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

How would you be ignored? By infringing upon how others like to spend their vacation?

it’s not my idea of a fun vacation to have to dress up with a jacket. Nice shirt and jeans? Sure. But a jacket and/or tie? Absolutely not on vacation.

Why should my wanting to be comfortable impact you? Feel free to wear a tux if you would like

• Like 5

My only reason for commenting was to point out that there's more than one viewpoint on this matter, and I think all views should be weighed when policy changes are considered.  I'm sure I'll enjoy my dinner just as much if the people at the next table look like they just came inside after doing yard work.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

My only reason for commenting was to point out that there's more than one viewpoint on this matter, and I think all views should be weighed when policy changes are considered.  I'm sure I'll enjoy my dinner just as much if the people at the next table look like they just came inside after doing yard work.

The issue is that it’s not symmetrical. With the current code, you can dress as you wish, while I cannot. If they do it similar to Nova, both of us can be happy. 

And nobody is coming to dinner like they did yard work. They can still enforce the no jeans and no t shirts policy. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

You may want to focus on your dinner companion(s) - you may enjoy yourself more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1