Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

With a few exceptions, I believe that the new dress code is going quite well. Most are well dressed , and a large number, such as myself, still wear a jacket without a tie . I ditched the jacket one night, and it was nice to have that option. However, the former dress code was never a deal breaker for us. We just go with the flow. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tinaincc said:

I agree. It seems as though the Nova code of formal optional is infuriating the OGs who still want to dress up AND want everyone else to as well. 

Thankfully the group that is vocal here is a very small percentage of travelers and once onboard talk of this nonsense is nonexistent, in my experience.

Nonsense to you perhaps, but not to all.  And I thought you didn't have any Silversea onboard experience.  To wit, your earlier statement: "🙋🏼‍♀️ only chose SSea for Summer 2024 due to the new ship, great cabin availability and itinerary (with perfect timing). Learned about the complexity of the dress code after the fact and it wasn’t a big enough deal to cancel."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Let us end this topic now and forever, it has run its course.

Just get onboard and enjoy yourselves.

Anyone who posts after this reply will be forced to dine with the Captain every night of their forthcoming cruise in formal attire.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Dover Duo said:

Nonsense to you perhaps, but not to all.  And I thought you didn't have any Silversea onboard experience.  To wit, your earlier statement: "🙋🏼‍♀️ only chose SSea for Summer 2024 due to the new ship, great cabin availability and itinerary (with perfect timing). Learned about the complexity of the dress code after the fact and it wasn’t a big enough deal to cancel."

Wow, you pay close attention, I’m honored.

In my experience = the 20 other cruises that I have gone on. All with dress codes, most discussed heavily on this website (once it started) then never mentioned on board. 

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

Raises a question ... did SS ever restart this practice post-COVID?

Hi, I have dined with several different staff members, although not the Capt but SS engages with the passengers quite often.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I have dined with several different staff members, although not the Capt but SS engages with the passengers quite often.

I always hope for a meal with the Chief Engineer.  I find most are pleased to answer well considered questions about their ships.  While there are similarities between many ships of a certain age, the differences are fascinating to me, and the technology keeps evolving.  Have never sailed on a Fincantieri ship.  For sure I've never sailed on an ocean going ship with just a 21kn max speed (17kn "service speed" per Fincantieri)!  Consider that a plus.  Makes for an extra night aboard on a TA 😁

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

I always hope for a meal with the Chief Engineer.  I find most are pleased to answer well considered questions about their ships.  While there are similarities between many ships of a certain age, the differences are fascinating to me, and the technology keeps evolving.  Have never sailed on a Fincantieri ship.  For sure I've never sailed on an ocean going ship with just a 21kn max speed (17kn "service speed" per Fincantieri)!  Consider that a plus.  Makes for an extra night aboard on a TA 😁

Our most memorable hosted dinner was with the Engineer on the Explorer who had been on the ship before it was taken over by SS and remained on board for the refit by SS. He loved that ship and knew everything there was to know about it.

During dinner he excused himself for a while saying sorry I am hearing a noise that shouldn't be happening. Returned in a short time saying fortunately it was a minor problem that was easy to fix.

And yes hosted dinners even with the Captain. We had dinner with the Captain on the Moon earlier this year.

• Like 2

To finish off this tale, tomorrow 4/5 ship tours are >9.5 hours, meaning most are back after 6 pm. Weather is 90 degrees and equally humid. Rain in the forecast.  Dress code is Informal. Didn’t make reservations   Even so, I’m tired of the Grille. Don’t want the volume of food at Kaiseki. And do NOT want to dress up after a long, hot day of touring. So it’s pizza yet again. 😕

The nonsensical implementation of the dress code has become a deal breaker for us. I’m EXACTLY the demographic the CEO says SS is targeting and I have no new SS cruise booked — mostly because of the way the dress code is applied.  Not kidding.  Just booked a cruise on an other luxury line today.  3 cruises next year and none on SS. 

I know most of the OG love the status quo.  We love so much of SS but I want dress flexibility on port days.  Some may think me crazy, but it’s my vacation.  And, again, I am SS’s target audience.  Just saying. 

Please don’t flame. It’s my opinion.  I know there are many who love the status quo.  Enjoy! 

• Like 5

The problem with casual is the interpretation. There is smart casual and gardening clothes casual. At the end of the day the restaurant is a sanctuary and should be respected as such. Other lines might be chasing the cash and allowing any form of clothing in their restaurants. Put on your casual clothes and a trusted old jacket and job done. 

1 hour ago, difranco said:

The problem with casual is the interpretation. There is smart casual and gardening clothes casual. At the end of the day the restaurant is a sanctuary and should be respected as such. Other lines might be chasing the cash and allowing any form of clothing in their restaurants. Put on your casual clothes and a trusted old jacket and job done. 

This is a straw man argument.  But if Silversea doesn't follow the trend, they will be clutching at straws as the ship goes down.

2 hours ago, ggo85 said:

I want dress flexibility on port days.

I agree with you - up to a point. I would not say that every port day should be casual as it will depend on the departure time from the port. If the ship leaves after 18:00 then casual should be the order of the day otherwise informal (or whatever is decided)

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by the thought that it takes longer to dress smartly than scruffily. Unless, of course, one goes straight from the tour to the dining venue. After x hours in 90 degree heat and humidity. Without showering. Yeugh! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is a straw man argument.  But if Silversea doesn't follow the trend, they will be clutching at straws as the ship goes down.

You make several interesting assumptions in that sentence.  They may instead be making a very smart marketing move in leaving things as they are on Muse class ships as a 'last refuge' for many who appreciate that style of sailing.  There really aren't good alternatives now.  It could just as well prove to be a profitable niche for SS for some time to come, rather than sinking the ship, as you say.

Note the use if the words "may" and "could" vs. a declarative sentence, which should probably be avoided until we see what happens with Muse class bookings vs the overall market in upcoming years.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I'm intrigued by the thought that it takes longer to dress smartly than scruffily. Unless, of course, one goes straight from the tour to the dining venue. After x hours in 90 degree heat and humidity. Without showering. Yeugh! 

Would have to agree.  It takes me all of about 15 seconds to tie a full Windsor, and another 5 to slip on a jacket.  All of the other prep/clothes are baseline anyway unless casual implies going commando!😮

Just a sexist guess, but I wonder if the ladies feel a need to spend more time on makeup and hair on non-casual nights? 

Edited by canderson

3 hours ago, ggo85 said:

To finish off this tale, tomorrow 4/5 ship tours are >9.5 hours, meaning most are back after 6 pm. Weather is 90 degrees and equally humid. Rain in the forecast.  Dress code is Informal. Didn’t make reservations   Even so, I’m tired of the Grille. Don’t want the volume of food at Kaiseki. And do NOT want to dress up after a long, hot day of touring. So it’s pizza yet again. 😕

The nonsensical implementation of the dress code has become a deal breaker for us. I’m EXACTLY the demographic the CEO says SS is targeting and I have no new SS cruise booked — mostly because of the way the dress code is applied.  Not kidding.  Just booked a cruise on an other luxury line today.  3 cruises next year and none on SS. 

I know most of the OG love the status quo.  We love so much of SS but I want dress flexibility on port days.  Some may think me crazy, but it’s my vacation.  And, again, I am SS’s target audience.  Just saying. 

Please don’t flame. It’s my opinion.  I know there are many who love the status quo.  Enjoy! 

I’m afraid that I will be in the same boat after our port intensive trip in June. The OGs will be happy I am sure since the ambiance will not be impacted but I suspect that if many of us who share your thoughts fill out the guest survey overtime it will change. 

Too much competition, and too much money spent to eat pizza every day.

38 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I’m intrigued by the ‘ambiance argument’ I’ve been on plenty of ships in nice jeans and had spectacular dining experiences.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Not to throw too much gasoline on this fire, but I wonder what percentage of the PAX are on all day, late returning outings on any given port day??  Is the tail wagging the dog?  

This may be getting at a different divide among passengers than has been considered here:  those who book for itinerary vs those who book for the shipboard experience.  I'm in the 'itinerary first' camp, which may be why I find the formal dress code such a pain – and why I relate to @ggo85's dilemma with late tours.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

22 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

I’m intrigued by the ‘ambiance argument’ I’ve been on plenty of ships in nice jeans and had spectacular dining experiences.

It's been puzzling to me how anyone who has not yet been onboard a Silversea ship to experience the brand can speak so authoritatively about what may/may not impact the ambiance onboard or future success of the Silversea brand.   

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

It's been puzzling to me how anyone who has not yet been onboard a Silversea ship to experience the brand can speak so authoritatively about what may/may not impact the ambiance onboard or future success of the Silversea brand.   

This is the same argument that has been raised on the other CC boards when elevated lines have changed their dress codes. This is very relevant as it would explain why the cruise line has relaxed their code on at least one ship and are being less strict on their other ships.