Breakfast in the MDR vs. Buffet

IndyKid

We're booked to sail on the Caribbean Princess in 6 weeks. With respect to meals it appears there are plenty of options for lunch and dinner, but unless I've missed something there are only 2 options for breakfast, MDR or the buffet, is that correct? I've heard the buffet is very good, but sometimes I like sitting down and having someone wait on me. Looking at previous posts in this forum, the experience of guests who have dined in the MDR appears to be somewhat of a mixed bag concerning both the food quality and the service. I'd like to hear from those who have recently sailed on the CB for their input.

53 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

If you can get up early enough to make it to the MDR it is very nice.  I believe they close at 9:30 or 10:00.  We *rarely* get up that early...except to make an excursion and if that's the case you probably don't have time for the MDR.

I wish they stayed open that late. Breakfast hours in the MDR are 7 - 9 am. Hence the reason we rarely make it even though we much prefer it to the buffet. 

2 hours ago, IndyKid said:

We're booked to sail on the Caribbean Princess in 6 weeks. With respect to meals it appears there are plenty of options for lunch and dinner, but unless I've missed something there are only 2 options for breakfast, MDR or the buffet, is that correct? I've heard the buffet is very good, but sometimes I like sitting down and having someone wait on me. Looking at previous posts in this forum, the experience of guests who have dined in the MDR appears to be somewhat of a mixed bag concerning both the food quality and the service. I'd like to hear from those who have recently sailed on the CB for their input.

MDR: 7-9 or 7-9:30 (usually a half hour later on sea days)

Buffet 5-6 continental breakfast. 6-11:30, full jot breakfast

International Cafe: pastries, ham and egg sandwich and oatmeal (

Room Service door hanger: continental breakfast with the ham and egg sandwich as the hot option - no Charge for delivery.. 

That's breakfast.... 

• Thanks 1

We are not in the majority as we prefer the buffet breakfast.  We enjoy the variety of dishes and the variety of selections in the fruit and bakery areas.  We are happy to take mini portions of the foods that we are interested in and in the morning we prefer to serve ourselves.  Unless we are on an excursion we tend to have breakfast a little later (9:00 ish) and don’t usually encounter a crowd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mevs904 said:

We are not in the majority as we prefer the buffet breakfast.  We enjoy the variety of dishes and the variety of selections in the fruit and bakery areas.  We are happy to take mini portions of the foods that we are interested in and in the morning we prefer to serve ourselves.  Unless we are on an excursion we tend to have breakfast a little later (9:00 ish) and don’t usually encounter a crowd.

You're probably in the majority - the rest of the majority just doesn't announce it, or isn't awake early enough for the MDR... Lol.

Given how busy the buffet is at breakfast whenever I've wandered in, it's the choice of the majority, lol.  

Either way, there's options... 

• Like 2

Buffet wins if using variety as criteria.  MDR wins if using seating availability as criteria--unless you go to the buffet within the first hour of it opening.  IC is nice for a quick breakfast, but the lines can be long as well.  

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

....MDR wins if using seating availability as criteria--unless you go to the buffet within the first hour of it opening.

So it's hard to get a table at the buffet? This is one reason we decided not to go on another Royal Caribbean cruise - we got tired of not being able to find a place to sit in the Windjammer buffet. A real PITA....

It’s such a personal thing. Personally, I hate the buffet for breakfast. Mainly for the scrum of it all, but the often poor quality of a lot of the cooked items: not a fan of dried up, rubbery that eggs you can use as a trampoline etc. ! But it is convenient and quick, and things such as their parties are good, so fair enough. Personally though, I love the MDR for a quiet, peaceful, satisfying breakfast if I am up in time and I also like the International Cafe to grab some nice food for eating on the balcony

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IndyKid said:

So it's hard to get a table at the buffet? This is one reason we decided not to go on another Royal Caribbean cruise - we got tired of not being able to find a place to sit in the Windjammer buffet. A real PITA....

Only if you hit it at their peak time, otherwise it's not really that bad. 

The International Cafe is my go-to as I am an early riser. It's counter service, nobody waits on you, as is your preference. On one cruise, it was mentioned in the Roll Call that early risers meet daily in the adjacent Good Spirits At Sea. The bar is closed, but it was fun to chat over coffee daily.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IndyKid said:

Every sailing is different, but for the most part the breakfast at the buffet is a zoo between 7:00 am and 9:00 am.  It can get busier earlier on port days and busier later on sea days.  Specifically, on the Sky Princess out of Southampton on sailings where Brits were the majority of the passengers, the buffet breakfast never really gets busy as Brits like to stay up late and don't really go to breakfast.

This is what suits my relaxation as well as my observations over many, many years.

The MDR is open from 7am until 9:30 on sea days. Closes 30 minutes earlier on port days. Prompt seating, allow an hour to dine. There are some different selections each day, but basic items are always available when requested. Normally I don't like to give up an hour to have breakfast. My preference is to get up and get moving. On sea days I like to walk for an hour or so and grab some coffee an other items during the walk. Port days are similar unless I have a planned excursion. I have dined in the DR on turn around days, open 6am until 8am, when sailing b2b's to take up time. The buffet and Piazza are very crowded on these days with those disembarking the ship.

Buffet. Basic buffet fare, except there has been an omelet prepared to order station. Seating can be a challenge. Beverages are served at the table from roaming waiters. Most times I enjoy sitting in the outside sitting areas. It's easy to grab something light like a bowl of cereal, or have a full omelet platter with as many sides as you can fit on the plate. Takes about 30 minutes.

International Cafe. Doughnuts, Danish, an egg McMuffin type of sandwich and some other items. Find a table in the Piazza or bring back to your cabin. This is an option that I use. It's quick and easy.

Room service hang tag. Cont. items and coffee, tea. I don't enjoy eating in my cabin. Many do sitting on their balcony. You can also visit the buffet and carry items back to your cabin. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Only if you hit it at their peak time, otherwise it's not really that bad. 

Also to @IndyKid. Last couple of cruises, it's the crowds from the table hogs not eating or drinking, buy playing table games; cards and dominoes. That is throughout the day. The crew does nothing. If sitting next to a card playing table, I've thought about calling out cards in their hand, to get them to move, but didn't do it.

• Haha 6

We just don’t enjoy buffets.  Too noisy, too crowded, too difficult to find a table and the food is not appealing to us.  Breakfast in the MDR is lovely.  Serenity is the best word.  Food is hot and fresh.  The table is clean with fresh linens and usually a small vase of flowers.  The wait staff spoils us by bringing us little extras to try out.  It’s so worth getting up early.  Love, love it!   My second choice would be IC, but we rarely go for breakfast.  Again, trying to find a seat can be challenging.  Good food, though.

• Like 7

A tip for the breakfast buffet is go all the way to the back that is where the made to order omelet station is there is usually plenty of available seats it's in the planks/steamers area there is also outdoor tables right past there you can take your food to I like sitting out there in the aft area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Also to @IndyKid. Last couple of cruises, it's the crowds from the table hogs not eating or drinking, buy playing table games; cards and dominoes. That is throughout the day. The crew does nothing. If sitting next to a card playing table, I've thought about calling out cards in their hand, to get them to move, but didn't do it.

I've learned how to avoid the crowds at the buffet depending on if it's a sea day or port day. Those card players don't usually arrive early. Of course getting there early on a sea day is important if you want to stake out your favorite location near the pool. Let all those that like the DR enjoy their 90 minute leisurely breakfast.  😄

8 hours ago, IndyKid said:

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Try the MDR one day and the buffet another and see which you like best. Or mix and match depending on circumstances. A relaxing sea day might suit the slower paced MDR. While if you're in a hurry to make your morning excursion, you might want the quicker buffet.

We do some mornings at each since my wife prefers the MDR and I like the buffet.

• Like 5

We prefer the buffet for breakfast. We like the variety and being able to choose from so many options. We almost always hit the omelette station or they usually have some form of an eggs Benedict, you just have to wait for the ones they freshly make. I'm a huge fan of smoked salmon and capers which is almost always offered daily. We take our food to an outside table and enjoy a leisurely breakfast al fresco. After breakfast DH usually sneaks back in to grab a pastry or two, his "excuse" being that he's on vacation!
The thing is, we tend to like the more casual side of cruising and the MDR for dinner is enough for us. We've tried breakfast and lunch in the MDR a few times and it just takes too long and we like to be out and about. From your post, it sounds like you enjoy having the table side service once in a while. As others have said, you should try them both and see what suits you best!

Edited by hllwdcruiser
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Sadly, we haven't seen any flowers on the tables in the MDR any more for any meal.....

I think they disappeared last Spring sometime....

Aww, used to enjoy those little vases with just one or two flowers.  Made it special,

@IndyKid. similar to your situation, Mrs. XBGuy is a late sleeper, and I get up and go to breakfast.  I tend to switch between the buffet and the dining room.  I enjoy meeting people in both, and, then, we all move on with our lives.

I like the dining room because I like the table service.  What I do not particularly enjoy is the production mode of operation.  When everybody is seated at the table, the waiter is on the spot taking orders.  Yes, I would like cup of coffee, runners come by offering sweet rolls and orange juice.  On one occasion I asked for an omelet, and the waiter tried to discourage me saying that it would take 20 minutes for me to get an omelet, but if I was to order the daily special, it would be much faster.  I stuck with my omelet request.  Then the guy next to me also ordered and omelet.  Our omelets came out at the same time as everybody else's orders.  I can usually get my coffee refilled once, but after that, the runners with the coffee seem to disappear.  So, getting another refill is unlikely.

As you can see from some of the above posts, the dining room is open for a relatively short time for breakfast.  They want you in and out.  For many passengers this is fine.  They have plans and also want to get out,  However, for those who do not have plans, chatting over a few cups of coffee is difficult.

People have commented on the crowd in the buffet.  I have to agree that there have been times when I have found the buffet crowded.  However, I have never been unable to find a seat.  My strategy is to find a large 6- or 8-top size table that has only two or three people sitting at it,  I then ask if I cab join them.  In 20-something Princess cruises I have been turned down only once,  These people were waiting for family members.  No problem.  I was able to join a table just a few steps away.  (Hilariously, I was able to watch this couple eat alone at this big table and leave without waiting for their family.)  Once seated at the buffet a runner with coffee and juice usually comes by pretty quickly.  The runner generally learns pretty quickly that when my cup is empty, I would like a refill--multiple times.  I, of course, engage the people I have joined and we usually chat about the cruise.  Since I joined while they were already into their breakfast, they generally finish their meal and excuse themselves.  So, for a while I am alone at this big table.  However, busboys generally clear the table pretty quickly, and, invariably, new people will ask if they can join me.  So, now I restart and engage these new people.  All along the coffee runner is stopping by to refill my cup.  More often than not, this second group of people have plans, and leave me alone at the table again.  Reboot.  Busboys clear the table, I am alone until another group comes along.

Somebody mentioned the smoked salmon.  Once my bladder tells me that I have had enough coffee, I make my way back to the cabin.  However, I do take a nosh back to my wife.  She loves it when I bring smoked salmon with some onion and bagel with cream cheese.  For some strange reason, she does not like capers.  Go figure.

• Like 6