Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

Day 1 (Embarkation to departure)

We had a good run down to Southampton in glorious sunshine, until we got to Hampshire when the heavens opened! We arrived at Mayflower Cruise Terminal at midday and wondered where everyone was! There were dozens of CPS staff waiting and we were checked in immediately. As before, they kindly offered to call a porter for us and one appeared quickly. There was a short queue of early arrivers being held outside, but as priority boarders we were waived straight through. We checked in at the assisted boarding desk and were through security and on the ship bang on our 1215 slot. Very impressive. They didn’t offer us assistance, which was a bit naughty, but we coped fine.  

First impressions as we embarked were ten times better than when we boarded Iona. Rather than look like an airport, this looks and feels like a proper ship. Also, as we walked around it looks like a quality environment and not like a conference hotel, as Iona does (to us anyway). Doubtless we shall miss the excellent dining options on Iona, but I have to say that we feel instantly at home. 

After checking in at our muster station we went to the MDR for the loyalty lunch. We asked for a table for 2 but this was impossible apparently 🤔 Anyhow we ended up on a table for four and actually got on really well with the other couple. Wine service was painfully slow compared to Iona and Britannia but both myself and Ray (the other chap) were equally assertive in ensuring that our glasses were kept topped up 😂 Lunch was very pleasant and was a waiter served meal (menu below). 

After lunch we went to our cabin (accessible Superior Deluxe balcony cabin and our cases were already there. The cabin is huge, almost like a mini suite, with separate lounge and bedroom areas. Being wheelchair accessible there is plenty of floor space in all areas. The wardrobe and cupboard space is vast. We had two very large cases and have not even used half of the wardrobes, cupboards and drawers. Never had that luxury before. 

I was all unpacked after an hour or so and after looking through all the literature (sail away vouchers, dining confirmation, Horizon etc) we decided to go and check out our dinner table. We are second sitting club (as confirmed) but the table for 2 is always ‘requested but not confirmed’. There was nobody at the Bay Tree restaurant so we just wandered in and found our allocated table. We are very happy. It’s a nice stand alone table for 2 (not the banquette type) very near the window. The menu for tonight suits us both, which is good as the first night menu can be weak. Any menu with lamb suits me just fine 😂 

We then headed to Tazine for a coffee. Again, unlike Iona (where it’s just part of the atrium) it’s a nice dedicated space - like a proper coffee shop. Service was immediate as well, even though it was almost full (Iona was a struggle as there was one poor chap on his own half the time and people ended up queuing up at the counter rather than waiting). Also, on Iona you got a free wafer thin slice of banana loaf, but on here it was a big choice of pastries and cakes. We both had full size apple and cinnamon muffins - complimentary. 👍

We are back in the cabin now and the horn has sounded and the thrusters are on. We shall wave to @TigerB as we pass Iona on our way out. The captain has just said that we are expecting 5 to 6 metre waves tomorrow as we head to the Bay of Biscay 🤮 That should be fun 😂 

So far so good and the most noticeable difference so far is that the ship feels so quiet compared to Iona (which felt rammed). Next stop Madeira on Wednesday. Wish us luck 😂 

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

IMG_0823.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We had a good run down to Southampton in glorious sunshine, until we got to Hampshire when the heavens opened! We arrived at Mayflower Cruise Terminal at midday and wondered where everyone was! There were dozens of CPS staff waiting and we were checked in immediately. As before, they kindly offered to call a porter for us and one appeared quickly. There was a short queue of early arrivers being held outside, but as priority boarders we were waived straight through. We checked in at the assisted boarding desk and were through security and on the ship bang on our 1215 slot. Very impressive. They didn’t offer us assistance, which was a bit naughty, but we coped fine.  

First impressions as we embarked were ten times better than when we boarded Iona. Rather than look like an airport, this looks and feels like a proper ship. Also, as we walked around it looks like a quality environment and not like a conference hotel, as Iona does (to us anyway). Doubtless we shall miss the excellent dining options on Iona, but I have to say that we feel instantly at home. 

After checking in at our muster station we went to the MDR for the loyalty lunch. We asked for a table for 2 but this was impossible apparently 🤔 Anyhow we ended up on a table for four and actually got on really well with the other couple. Wine service was painfully slow compared to Iona and Britannia but both myself and Ray (the other chap) were equally assertive in ensuring that our glasses were kept topped up 😂 Lunch was very pleasant and was a waiter served meal (menu below). 

After lunch we went to our cabin (accessible Superior Deluxe balcony cabin and our cases were already there. The cabin is huge, almost like a mini suite, with separate lounge and bedroom areas. Being wheelchair accessible there is plenty of floor space in all areas. The wardrobe and cupboard space is vast. We had two very large cases and have not even used half of the wardrobes, cupboards and drawers. Never had that luxury before. 

I was all unpacked after an hour or so and after looking through all the literature (sail away vouchers, dining confirmation, Horizon etc) we decided to go and check out our dinner table. We are second sitting club (as confirmed) but the table for 2 is always ‘requested but not confirmed’. There was nobody at the Bay Tree restaurant so we just wandered in and found our allocated table. We are very happy. It’s a nice stand alone table for 2 (not the banquette type) very near the window. The menu for tonight suits us both, which is good as the first night menu can be weak. Any menu with lamb suits me just fine 😂 

We then headed to Tazine for a coffee. Again, unlike Iona (where it’s just part of the atrium) it’s a nice dedicated space - like a proper coffee shop. Service was immediate as well, even though it was almost full (Iona was a struggle as there was one poor chap on his own half the time and people ended up queuing up at the counter rather than waiting). Also, on Iona you got a free wafer thin slice of banana loaf, but on here it was a big choice of pastries and cakes. We both had full size apple and cinnamon muffins - complimentary. 👍

We are back in the cabin now and the horn has sounded and the thrusters are on. We shall wave to @TigerB as we pass Iona on our way out. The captain has just said that we are expecting 5 to 6 metre waves tomorrow as we head to the Bay of Biscay 🤮 That should be fun 😂 

So far so good and the most noticeable difference so far is that the ship feels so quiet compared to Iona (which felt rammed). Next stop Madeira on Wednesday. Wish us luck 😂 

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

IMG_0823.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

Sounds brilliant. Enjoy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Gave you a wave as you passed iona and  the captain replied hooting his horn .Have a great time 

Many thanks. You too. If it’s your first time on Iona do try the Olive Grove. We loved it. 

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Cabin looks lovely.  Do put a dinner menu on when you get a minute.  Would like to compare to Aurora.

Here’s tonight’s Jean. I’m having the roast lamb, which I know you’d hate 😂 

IMG_0829.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

IMG_0823.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

Keep the review going. I get on when you disembark. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

Yep identical to Aurora.  I remember it well.  Nothing on there for me.  I had the pan fried chicken and it was not good.  You see what I mean though.  Roast Lamb on the right and Roast pork on the left.  If you don't do roasts, there is hardly any choice.

No matter.  My husband had the lamb.  I don't mind veggie dishes, but those are hardly exciting are they?  Sweetcorn risotto?

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yep identical to Aurora.  I remember it well.  Nothing on there for me.  I had the pan fried chicken and it was not good.  You see what I mean though.  Roast Lamb on the right and Roast pork on the left.  If you don't do roasts, there is hardly any choice.

No matter.  My husband had the lamb.  I don't mind veggie dishes, but those are hardly exciting are they?  Sweetcorn risotto?

I love a roast Jean, especially when I don’t have to cook it. I’ll think of you each time I have one 😉 😂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

Have to laugh. Two tiny TVs. No binoculars to see them. They can’t hold a signal for longer than 10 seconds and we are still in Southampton water 😂 

In all seriousness, they really do need to pull their finger out and upgrade to the excellent TVs on Iona and Britannia (and no doubt Arvia). Whilst the reception

is still patchy at least you can put an on demand programme on!

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The spiced lentil and cauli pie was quite tasty, if it's the one I remember having, on Iona so the menus are probably fleet wide.

56 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Here’s tonight’s Jean. I’m having the roast lamb, which I know you’d hate 😂 

IMG_0829.jpeg

Thanks, Selbourne, for your interesting posts. I hope you have a great time. It certainly sounds like an excellent start. Were I onboard it would be the roast pork for me. (And the harissa lamb cutlets for lunch.) 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The spiced lentil and cauli pie was quite tasty, if it's the one I remember having, on Iona so the menus are probably fleet wide.

In all honesty, there’s 3 or 4 things I’d be happy with - well, on paper anyway 😂 

We are getting buffeted around quite a bit already and we’ve only just passed Portsmouth 😂 Bad news - just realised the packet of Stugeron that we brought with us only has one strip of tablets in it 🫣 May have to have a few extra drinks to counter the effects (does that work? 😂) 🤮

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We are getting buffeted around quite a bit already and we’ve only just passed Portsmouth 😂 Bad news - just realised the packet of Stugeron that we brought with us only has one strip of tablets in it 🫣 May have to have a few extra drinks to counter the effects (does that work? 😂) 🤮

Most definitely alcohol helps 🤣 but if you prefer, you can get Avomine tablets from reception if required,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I was on watch today at Prawle Point (National Coastwatch).  Never seen rain like it and Plymouth was Gale Force 8 tonight and tomorrow.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

In all honesty, there’s 3 or 4 things I’d be happy with - well, on paper anyway 😂 

I've decided I'm either fussy or not British!!  When we go to the Xmas party from the office I never have the turkey, always the fish dish.  I cook turkey and the trimmings for Xmas Day, but that's enough!

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Haha 1