Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

13 minutes ago, TigerB said:

No pole in our allocated cabin this trip, MB.  You never know, we may get an upgrade; I'll go to Guest Services when we board and ask if there are any cabins with poles going spare. Failing that, I'll go on the hunt for pineapples on doors; one of those cabins may have a pole.🤭

I'm devastated.

Dance.gif

• Haha 10

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Well our next cruise has come around already and tomorrow (Saturday) we board Ventura for a 14 night cruise to the Canaries. We have a 1215 priority boarding embarkation slot and having had no issues whatsoever with CPS or embarkation on Britannia or Iona this summer we shall just turn up at around midday. We always travel down on the day, as it’s only a few hours drive for us, but we are all packed apart from last minute things. 

I was very surprised to discover that this will only be our third cruise on Ventura and the last time was in 2017. It’s very true that time goes quicker as you get older 😂 We are booked in an accessible Superior Deluxe balcony cabin. I’ve seen a YouTube video of it and it looks huge. Unfortunately the balconies with these cabins are completely uncovered, which I don’t like, so hopefully the weather will be kind for us. 

The big difference on this cruise will be that we have reverted to Club (Fixed) dining (2nd sitting), for the first time since Freedom dining was introduced. We took the decision after some frustrations with the app not being used properly in the MDRs on Britannia. We have requested a table for 2 and are hoping that, if we are successful, it will be a proper table for 2 and not one that’s 6 inches from another ‘table for 2’. Wish us luck 😂 

We have booked two dinners in Epicurean and one each in Sindhu and the Beach House. If the MDR disappoints then we may book more, but if it’s as good as it was on Britannia and Iona then we will be very happy. I fully intend to try the extra cost MDR dishes if the trial is still running 😋

I shall endeavour to post updates as and when I can, but will struggle on sea days. I have never paid for the ships WiFi before, but am going to try it for the first time over 24 hours to see if it’s any good, as a trial for our 65 nighter on Aurora in January. 

If anyone has any specific question about Ventura, or would like me to find out anything for you whilst we are on board, please don’t hesitate to ask. 

Hope you have a great cruise. We are booked on the 35 night cruise on Ventura next February. I have booked the wi fi for the entire cruise as there are a lot of sea days so I will be interested to hear how you get on. I can't remember how many restaurants are on Ventura and how many are allocated to freedom dining? We have booked a saver fare and would prefer freedom dining but may end up with 2nd sitting so I will be interested to see what you think of it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Now that is creepy!😯

I've had cheese tonight, so I can guess what will now feature in my dreams later!😵‍💫

Perhaps this guy is more soothing then 

icegif-683.gif

Edited by Megabear2
  • Haha 9

40 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Hope you have a great cruise. We are booked on the 35 night cruise on Ventura next February. I have booked the wi fi for the entire cruise as there are a lot of sea days so I will be interested to hear how you get on. I can't remember how many restaurants are on Ventura and how many are allocated to freedom dining? We have booked a saver fare and would prefer freedom dining but may end up with 2nd sitting so I will be interested to see what you think of it.

Thanks. As far as I recall, Saffron & Cinnamon MDRs are Freedom and Bay Tree is Club.

Whilst tomorrows cruise was a Select booking, we have also booked a late saver on Aurora’s 65 night Caribbean cruise in January and are hoping for either Freedom or 2nd sitting. We really don’t want 1st sitting, but I believe that’s always the most popular choice, so hopefully we won’t get that being at the bottom of the pile, choice wise!

I’ve also booked the basic WiFi for our Caribbean cruise in order to get the introductory 15% discount (on top of whole cruise, longer cruise and loyalty discounts). We are a bit concerned about being away for so long, and as well as being able to be in contact throughout the cruise (and not having to waste time ashore using free WiFi), I’m hoping that it will help to pass the time on sea days. At £6.89 a day after all the discounts it will hopefully be worthwhile, but I’m keen to try it out next week. I’m not entirely sure whether Ventura and Aurora are fully fitted out with Starlink yet though! We’ve pre-booked as the offer ends next week, but if it’s really rubbish we can cancel and get a refund up to 3 days before departure. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Well our next cruise has come around already and tomorrow (Saturday) we board Ventura for a 14 night cruise to the Canaries. We have a 1215 priority boarding embarkation slot and having had no issues whatsoever with CPS or embarkation on Britannia or Iona this summer we shall just turn up at around midday. We always travel down on the day, as it’s only a few hours drive for us, but we are all packed apart from last minute things. 

I was very surprised to discover that this will only be our third cruise on Ventura and the last time was in 2017. It’s very true that time goes quicker as you get older 😂 We are booked in an accessible Superior Deluxe balcony cabin. I’ve seen a YouTube video of it and it looks huge. Unfortunately the balconies with these cabins are completely uncovered, which I don’t like, so hopefully the weather will be kind for us. 

The big difference on this cruise will be that we have reverted to Club (Fixed) dining (2nd sitting), for the first time since Freedom dining was introduced. We took the decision after some frustrations with the app not being used properly in the MDRs on Britannia. We have requested a table for 2 and are hoping that, if we are successful, it will be a proper table for 2 and not one that’s 6 inches from another ‘table for 2’. Wish us luck 😂 

We have booked two dinners in Epicurean and one each in Sindhu and the Beach House. If the MDR disappoints then we may book more, but if it’s as good as it was on Britannia and Iona then we will be very happy. I fully intend to try the extra cost MDR dishes if the trial is still running 😋

I shall endeavour to post updates as and when I can, but will struggle on sea days. I have never paid for the ships WiFi before, but am going to try it for the first time over 24 hours to see if it’s any good, as a trial for our 65 nighter on Aurora in January. 

If anyone has any specific question about Ventura, or would like me to find out anything for you whilst we are on board, please don’t hesitate to ask. 

I hope you have an amazing cruise Selbourne.

I will be following along.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TigerB said:

We are actually cruising tomorrow too, but on Iona - Spain and Portugal. 

I won't do a 'live from' this time as I don't want to be in direct competition with you, @Selbourne; in the quest for readers, you'll win hands down! 

Anyway, I'm going to try and detox from t'interweb these next two weeks. I may bob on now and again to see how yours is going, and if anyone is doing one on ours.  I'll still take photos, especially of food, and post a review when we get home.

We are currently in Andover, so it's only going to be a short trip in the morning.

I hope you and your good lady have a great cruise.🚢😎

I hope you have a fantastic cruise on Iona.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TigerB said:

I won't do a 'live from' this time as I don't want to be in direct competition with you, @Selbourne; in the quest for readers, you'll win hands down! 

Anyway, I'm going to try and detox from t'interweb these next two weeks. I may bob on now and again to see how yours is going, and if anyone is doing one on ours.  I'll still take photos, especially of food, and post a review when we get home.

We are currently in Andover, so it's only going to be a short trip in the morning.

Bon voyage to you too. Have a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

Selbourne I hope you and mrs selbourne have a fantastic cruise and get your choice of dining etc , we are doing the exactly the same itinerary in December on Aurora on a saver fare and hopefully get late dining at 8.30 table for two.

Hope your travels down to Southampton are trouble free, it will be very busy tomorrow and could be flooded in certain parts of the road in as we have had a lots  of rain and parts were flooded last week so take care and enjoy your cruise.🥂🍾🛳️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TigerB said:

Have a wonderful time on Iona and I hope the weather is bright and sunny for you .

• Thanks 1

The weather forecast for our departure looks interesting. Heavy rain followed by lightening. Thankfully the wind looks light, which would be the main concern, although I understand that recent crossings have been a little bumpy 🤮 Stugeron at the ready 😂 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

The weather forecast for our departure looks interesting. Heavy rain followed by lightening. Thankfully the wind looks light, which would be the main concern, although I understand that recent crossings have been a little bumpy 🤮 Stugeron at the ready 😂 

Oh, yes! Stugeron is my friend!😉

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Hope your travels down to Southampton are trouble free, it will be very busy tomorrow and could be flooded in certain parts of the road in as we have had a lots  of rain and parts were flooded last week so take care and enjoy your cruise.🥂🍾🛳️

The traffic down here has been 'tricky' all week, it only takes a little incident to cause major issues. 

I had a 2 hour delay just getting across the Winnall roundabout from the A34 to the M3 on Thursday evening, still don't know what caused it... 

With the Winchester Road being closed for some time, although it is not an obvious route for cruisers, the diversions are. 

Add football and cruise traffic, it's gonna be busy... 

Safe journey to all travelling today. 

Andy 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. As far as I recall, Saffron & Cinnamon MDRs are Freedom and Bay Tree is Club.

Whilst tomorrows cruise was a Select booking, we have also booked a late saver on Aurora’s 65 night Caribbean cruise in January and are hoping for either Freedom or 2nd sitting. We really don’t want 1st sitting, but I believe that’s always the most popular choice, so hopefully we won’t get that being at the bottom of the pile, choice wise!

I’ve also booked the basic WiFi for our Caribbean cruise in order to get the introductory 15% discount (on top of whole cruise, longer cruise and loyalty discounts). We are a bit concerned about being away for so long, and as well as being able to be in contact throughout the cruise (and not having to waste time ashore using free WiFi), I’m hoping that it will help to pass the time on sea days. At £6.89 a day after all the discounts it will hopefully be worthwhile, but I’m keen to try it out next week. I’m not entirely sure whether Ventura and Aurora are fully fitted out with Starlink yet though! We’ve pre-booked as the offer ends next week, but if it’s really rubbish we can cancel and get a refund up to 3 days before departure. 

When you take the basic package at the 15% discount, do you also get your Peninsular discount on top