Turning 4 star and nobody is interested in it

JanDom

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We have found Princess also offers some unique 3-5 week itineraries that have caught our attention and $$$. But it's nice again to have two cruise lines to choose from with the longer itineraries and intriguing perks, especially since we're 4-star with HAL and just made Elite on PCL. 

This is true and they also have a well developed land and sea program.  For us, unfortunately, they continue to increase the size of their ships. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 8:04 PM, Blackduck59 said:

I have read a few more posts and still don't get the "Status" thing. Clearly it matters to some. I wonder if the "4 stars" being excluded from some events perhaps comes from "5 stars" complaining that the lowly 4 stars are getting the same perk as they are.

You are just scratching the surface of the "Status" problem, Blackduck59. Toss in suites and Club Orange. Does a 4* Mariner Suite guest top a 5* guest in a standard suite? Where does a President's Club member in an inside cabin fit in? A 3* cruiser in a penthouse suite? Who gets to look down their nose at whom?

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Personally, I can't imagine why anyone but me would be interested in how many *s or medallions I have.

Agree, but it is one way to find people who have cruised a lot and mine them for info on ports, ships, food, shorex, etc. Higher Mariners can be a gold mine of info and are always willing to talk and share, in our experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, whogo said:

You are just scratching the surface of the "Status" problem, Blackduck59. Toss in suites and Club Orange. Does a 4* Mariner Suite guest top a 5* guest in a standard suite? Where does a President's Club member in an inside cabin fit in? A 3* cruiser in a penthouse suite? Who gets to look down their nose at whom?

While I did put a chuckle on this post. It is a valid point. It seems that some people everywhere have a need to be "special". That's okay everyone to there own, I just think that the most helpful suggestions often come from those who choose not to mention their "status".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Personally, I can't imagine why anyone but me would be interested in how many *s or medallions I have.

LOL.  I am not even interested in how many medallions we have.  In fact, I think DW has likely just thrown away all that stuff.  It cracks me up when we see some HAL cruisers actually wearing those tacky things....but everyone to their own taste.  We once tried to sell some medallions and HAL pins at one of the onboard auctions (HAL does this towards the end of some cruises) but HAL had a rule that you could not sell those particular items.

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

LOL.  I am not even interested in how many medallions we have.  In fact, I think DW has likely just thrown away all that stuff.  It cracks me up when we see some HAL cruisers actually wearing those tacky things....but everyone to their own taste.  We once tried to sell some medallions and HAL pins at one of the onboard auctions (HAL does this towards the end of some cruises) but HAL had a rule that you could not sell those particular items.

Good for HAL not allowing selling of the pins/medallions onboard.  Giving them back with thanks would suffice for any awardee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Good for HAL not allowing selling of the pins/medallions onboard.  Giving them back with thanks would suffice for any awardee.

You can buy them on ebay :).  A bronze medallion is now selling for $11.56.  Too funny.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If you didn't want them and find them tacky, why did you take them? My husband and I always get 2 tiles each cruise (when they have them) but we always leave one in the room. I don't need 2.

The itinerary stickers and books they left on our recent cruises, I took one home and left the other one. 

People, just because HAL gives them to you, doesn't mean you have to accept them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seaoma said:

If you didn't want them and find them tacky, why did you take them? My husband and I always get 2 tiles each cruise (when they have them) but we always leave one in the room. I don't need 2.

The itinerary stickers and books they left on our recent cruises, I took one home and left the other one. 

People, just because HAL gives them to you, doesn't mean you have to accept them. 

We do leave the tiles behind.  Have no idea why DW tossed the Medallions in the luggage, but we shall somehow survive :).   This is not meant as a slight to HAL as we leave that kind of stuff behind on every cruise line.  As DW likes to say, just more "stuff" for which we have no use.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 8:00 PM, AV8rix said:

And, sort of on this subject:

Before the shutdown the 4* and 5* were all invited to the medallion reception on the last sea day of every cruise.  Since the restart we lowly 4*s  are no longer permitted to attend.

Well, I have a problem coming up.  In a couple of weeks I’ll be embarking on a 4-segment B2B2B2B totaling six weeks on Koningsdam.  One of my favorite cruising buddies will be awarded his platinum on the last segment and wants me to be there.

So I have sent an email to the Mariner Society to plead for admission to that reception.  I have not yet received a reply.  If they can’t help me I plan to make the request to the onboard Mariner Society rep when I board.  Can’t believe that I’m having to beg to be admitted to a medallion reception.  Before the shutdown we 4* were always invited.

We were once asked by someone in the president's club to join them for an award ceremony where they would be recognized. All you might need is an invitation from your buddy. I could be wrong but it did happen to us. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2023 at 10:12 AM, NCTribeFan said:

Just for fun (!) I just went digging through the nightstand's 2 drawers which is where I toss all my cabin cards and pins.

I found all my cruise cards, going back to 2001 when I first started sailing except for the one RCI cruise I took in 2003 and the Carnival Vista inaugural sailing in 2016.  That was my 25th Milestone sailing (separate recognition from their usual rewards).  That's a little disappointing.  So, all those Carnival cards (I've sailed them 37 times), 3 MSC, 1 NCL, 1 X, and 10 HAL (I count B2Bs as separate sailings because that's how I've booked them).

I have over 30 Carnival pins.  What's nice about those is they show the ship name.  I really do not need duplicates, though.  I sailed the old Carnival Fantasy enough times that I could've earned Platinum status on that ship alone.

I did NOT find a 3* HAL pin.  The only HAL pins I have were from my first Z'dam sailing.  During trivia, they gave out small pins showing a region that HAL sails (Alaska, Caribbean, Panama Canal, Med, etc).  I have 5 or 6 of those.

But no 3*.  I don't really need one but I might ask about it when I sail in January.  I'm happy enough just to get some perks.

Hope you had fun going through it all.

I tell my DW, I love to plan many of our sailings as I get to talk about it with others and enjoy the anticipation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

While I did put a chuckle on this post. It is a valid point. It seems that some people everywhere have a need to be "special". That's okay everyone to there own, I just think that the most helpful suggestions often come from those who choose not to mention their "status".

I couldn’t agree more. When someone needs to brag about their status, you need to find different people to talk to.

In my early days with HAL, I was at a wine tasting with a group of people who all turned out to be 4*. When I mentioned I wasn’t, one ‘lady’ looked at me like I was something nasty on the side of her shoe. I felt like dirt.

At dinner I told the story to our regular table mates. One said ‘You should have told her you were me.’ When I looked confused, she handed me her key card - with the 5* symbol. We’d shared a table every day for over three weeks. I knew her history, her family details, her pets, her hobbies, pictures of her house redecorating, and more. She never mentioned her Mariner status until the issue of a lesser Mariner snubbing her new friend over star levels came up.

Most people on HAL are more like my friend and less like the puffed up free wine taster.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Most people who go to Harvard work that into every conversation.

Yep.  LOL.  But lately, the Harvard folks have been a little more quiet....Seems like we are learning they may not be the brightest bulbs after all.  And it has been exposed.  LOL.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And beyond HS.  Most people who go to Harvard work that into every conversation.

Funny and true story.  I once had a Harvard PHD working for me at a consulting company.  I had to fire him because he could not do simple math.  Was great at writing though.

• Haha 2