Leaving from Galveston Port lots of questions

NC State

We are looking at booking a cruise out of Galveston. We never been there so here's my questions:

Which airport is the best to come in?

Hotel, airport or port area and how do you get there from the airport?

Cruise day, how do you arrive at port? (we are not Uber fans)

We will get RC to take us back to the airport when we return. I'm just worried on how to get to a clean hotel and then to port the next day. Thank you for any ideas! 

Hobby is twice as close as IAH. I can do hobby in 45 minutes, but add extra time, always for bad traffic. IAH more like 1.5 hours away. North of downtown houston which is always a slower drive. You say you are worried about getting to a clean hotel. Both airports have clean hotels with free shuttles.

Do you plan on staying the night before your cruise at a hotel near the airport or coming on down to Galveston. Since your plans are so up in the air, I would check out cc threads for Galveston. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

I'm sailing from Galveston for the first time in December.  The price and itinerary were the driving force.  I'm flying from Newark airport on United @5:45 AM to Bush Int'l.  Although Bush is further from the the cruise terminal, it has a much better flight available both ways.  Booked shuttle thru Galveston Express for $65 R/T pp.  Shuttles depart every 2 hours.  Have a 10 AM reserved and subsequently return at 8 AM.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, NC State said:

We are looking at booking a cruise out of Galveston. We never been there so here's my questions:

Which airport is the best to come in?

Hotel, airport or port area and how do you get there from the airport?

Cruise day, how do you arrive at port? (we are not Uber fans)

We will get RC to take us back to the airport when we return. I'm just worried on how to get to a clean hotel and then to port the next day. Thank you for any ideas! 

When we sailed from Galveston in 2014, we stayed at the IAH Marriott.  There is a free tram from every baggage area at IAH that stops at the Marriott.  Is the convenience.   No need to shuttle from the airport to a hotel and then shuttle back to the hotel in the morning.  Wife insisted on staying there again for our cruise in Feb.  There is a restaurant in the Marriott but is somewhat expensive (you can view the menu/prices at the hotel website).  You can always get delivery.  While there are many places to eat in the airport, only the subway is outside of security.  

There are multiple shuttle/limosene services. Google is your friend. 

We're using Galveston Shuttle and Limo.  Royal wll probably pickup passengers at IAH the morning of embarkation.

We choose IAH because there are no airlines from our local airport that serves Hobby.  We'd have to drive two hours to the closest airport to Hobby.

Edited by RocketMan275