Seasickness meds

cruisin73

22 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Of course for potential seasickness, I asked the wife if I could bring Ginger on a cruise. I can’t print her answer. 

A non-drowsy Dramamine is ginger extract. We carry some candy ginger from Trader Joes on every cruise to settle the tummy. 

On 10/30/2023 at 7:31 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Of course for potential seasickness, I asked the wife if I could bring Ginger on a cruise. I can’t print her answer. 

Do you have a picture of "Ginger"?  Would like to see what the fuss is all about!  LOL

I agree with others that I wouldn't trust a patch off Amazon without a lot more information including ingredient lists.

If you are looking for an alternative, I use the ReliefBand.  It goes a step further than just using acupressure like the SeaBands/PsiBands (which only worked so well for me) and combines acupressure with electric pulses.  Recently, I saw a cheaper alternative brand on Amazon that appears to use the same technology that I haven't tried.

I still bring Bonnie with me in case something were to happen to my ReliefBand or the seas got so bad I needed something more but can't remember that last time I needed the Bonnie.

On 10/30/2023 at 7:31 PM, neverbeenhere said:

If the ship you are on has an Izumi, they will give you fresh ginger.

Also, I drink ginger beer and that really helps to settle my stomach. Not sure why they call it beer when it has no alcohol in it,(I guess like root beer)but they use it to make mule drinks, so they have it on every ship.

Just took my Dramamine (less drowsy)because we’re on Allure right now and winds are 20-30 tonight and 25-35 tomorrow!🤢

I'm currently on my first transatlantic sailing (on Symphony of the Seas). Since I'd not done such a cruise before, I had concerns the water might be rougher than I could handle.

I used Amazon Clinic ($30, I think) for a text-only consult to the responding physician's assistant who coordinated with the doctor to verify that scopolamine would be okay for me based on my history and then they prescribed it. I sent that prescription to Amazon Pharmacy who filled it using my insurance (so just $5 for 8 patches) and then sent them to me overnight. This way ended up being cheaper than going to my local doctor.

I'm pleased that I was able to get this medicine relatively easily, just in case. I am wearing my first ever patch now, and it has seemed to help, although maybe I would've been just fine if I'd let my mildly nauseated stomach rest a bit.

• Like 1

I tried the patch many years ago and had terrible reactions from it. I then tried half a patch and still had bad reactions. 

I bring Ginger essential oil and put that behind my ears and on wrists if we’re  rocking and if it’s really rocking Bonine works great!

Try that and see if it works but have a backup in case of reactions. 

As stated earlier, I really hate taking any medications and OTC stuff.  I asked if Bonine could be helpful if taken after the onset of motion sickness.  I ask that for a specific reason.  If it must be taken as a preventative and you do, how do you know if it works if you don't get sick?  How do you prove a negative?  So, I'm going to get Bonine and use it after the onset (if it happens), like I said, I don't have a history of motion sickness but don't deny the possibility.  If it makes me feel better, almost immediately, then I know it's working.  

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

If it must be taken as a preventative and you do, how do you know if it works if you don't get sick?  How do you prove a negative?

A related story. My wife has motion sickness problems, I don't. When our kids started cruising with us she insisted that they take bonine to prevent any problems. I went along with this for the first 2 cruises. For the 3rd cruise I said they are not going to take it. How were we to know if the kids had motion sickness issues if we prevented them in the first place? If we we didn't medicate them and they had no problems, it would save them from taking the medication every time they traveled. We founf that neither of the kids have motion sickness issues so neither of them have to take medication for non-existant issues.

• Like 3