Exclusive Look at Carnival Jubilee’s River Conveyance

Host Jazzbeau

Thanks, I had read about this latest conveyance briefly. Have never looked at the area before in detail. It is - flat! I should not have expected anything else though. Doesn't it look photo shopped? I mean that last photo looks unreal one just cannot imagine that river being deep enough to float a cruise ship.

Here is a short video: https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niedersachsen/oldenburg_ostfriesland/carnivaljubilee122_backId-carnivaljubilee100.html#content

One can visit the shipyard in Papenburg. Even on a river cruise on the Ems. CroisiEurope has a sailing from Amsterdam to Berlin with a visit to Papenburg.

notamermaid

The Meyer Werft Pappenburg shipyard has built a number of large ocean cruise ships for Royal Caribbean, Disney, Norwegian, Carnival, etc. 

There are 2 things that amaze me every time:

1) These ships are built indoors! The building appears to be just over twice the width and about half again as long as these ships are!

2) The 20 mile conveyance down the narrow Ems. 

Here's a great video Royal Caribbean put together:

And Odyssey's conveyance:

Edited by RobInMN

Wow, thanks for the videos. The Ems river is a federal inland waterway and then becomes an estuary, a tidal waterway with special laws for navigation, etc., meaning different from inland and standard coastal/maritime with special arrangement with the Dutch. The Ems was already dug out in the 19th century, the lower Ems was 4.50m in 1884 and by 1995 that depth had been increased to 7.30m. Now using the tide and the special sluice, ships with a draft of up 8.50m can be pushed from Papenburg out to sea.

To compare: navigation channel depths inland on the Rhine and other rivers where river cruise ships sail vary greatly throughout the year but the standard depths that authorities "guarantee", that is maintain, are mostly between 1.40m and 3.00m. No chance of getting a large ocean cruiser up a river very far unless a river is flooding... Depth at Duisburg tonight is 525cm, at Cologne it is 485cm.

notamermaid

Maybe this will explain why I dropped out of an Engineering major and went to History, but... 

Instead of dumping their water when approaching the notorious low bits of a river, why don't cruise ships have vents on the bottom to slowly expel the water thereby creating their own extra clearance?

OK, I'll have another glass of wine and shut up...  🤪

Nooooo don’t give up the wine! I’m pretty sure that river cruise vessels have grey water tanks and these could not be emptied into the rivers but on one low water year our Captain did admit to lowering the fresh water tanks overnight to get through a tricky section of river which we did at stealth speed in company with two huge trading barges. I’m still trying to work out what the benefit was to us being the filling between the sandwich of barges, but it certainly worked.