Drinking alcohol before we are in International waters

fun_one

Can someone remind me if Princess is the cruise line where you can't use your drink package until you get out in International waters?  I can't remember if that was a Princess rule or an RCCL rule?  At any rate, I remember whatever cruise we were on, they gave us a $25 credit to use to "tie us over" but if you are on a ship for 3+ hours prior to cruising, $25 doesn't cover much (IMHO).  If someone can let me know, I would really appreciate it!  Thank you.

Just now, fun_one said:

Can someone remind me if Princess is the cruise line where you can't use your drink package until you get out in International waters?  I can't remember if that was a Princess rule or an RCCL rule?  At any rate, I remember whatever cruise we were on, they gave us a $25 credit to use to "tie us over" but if you are on a ship for 3+ hours prior to cruising, $25 doesn't cover much (IMHO).  If someone can let me know, I would really appreciate it!  Thank you.

In port we paid a tax to the state but drinks were covered, wasn't very much.

4 minutes ago, fun_one said:

If sailing from Galveston, TX - there's a very few local liquors you can purchase aboard and until you hit international waters, beverage packages do not work.. Princess gifts $25usd OBC to offset this restriction.

FYI - the local laws of TX apply to all cruise lines. No liquor sales except local tax liquors. 

All other ports, beverage packages work from the time you get aboard. I've never once paid any taxes on any drink covered by the various beverage packages in any port while still docked.. 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

If sailing from Galveston, TX - there's a very few local liquors you can purchase aboard and until you hit international waters, beverage packages do not work.. Princess gifts $25usd OBC to offset this restriction.

FYI - the local laws of TX apply to all cruise lines. No liquor sales except local tax liquors. 

All other ports, beverage packages work from the time you get aboard. I've never once paid any taxes on any drink covered by the various beverage packages in any port while still docked.. 

California does 

Just now, Cruisintimer said:

California does 

Not in any of my sailings from San Pedro or SF. And yes, I have checked folios, and past folio printouts that I can check again, if it makes any difference.

Unless something changes during Covid, no sailings prior had any taxes charged on any drinks covered by any of the beverage packages I've had.. 

18 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Not in any of my sailings from San Pedro or SF. And yes, I have checked folios, and past folio printouts that I can check again, if it makes any difference.

Unless something changes during Covid, no sailings prior had any taxes charged on any drinks covered by any of the beverage packages I've had.. 

They do apply sales taxes for California and Hawaii ports if you order anything from the bar or barista’s IF you do not have a package.  Don’t know about the beverage package.

• Like 1

I am still confused (sorry!).  We have sailed many other ships out of Galveston that don't have that rule where you can't use the drink package until hitting International waters.  If Princess has this rule, it is different from RCCl, Carnival and NCL because they serve a limited menu but still let you use the drink package from in port until you are in International waters.  

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

They do apply sales taxes for California and Hawaii ports if you order anything from the bar or barista’s IF you do not have a package.  Don’t know about the beverage package.

Which is clearly what I stated - no taxes when getting a beverage covered by the packages - as you're not actually buying anything. The packages are prepaid - even if you buy the package aboard in a state or country with car or sales tax, it is not charged on those purchases as they're considered fare items.  

Individual drink purchases may incur a sales tax - beverages covered by a package do not.

Or haven't in 10 years of beverage packages on Princess. 

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Which is clearly what I stated - no taxes when getting a beverage covered by the packages - as you're not actually buying anything. The packages are prepaid - even if you buy the package aboard in a state or country with car or sales tax, it is not charged on those purchases as they're considered fare items.  

Individual drink purchases may incur a sales tax - beverages covered by a package do not.

Or haven't in 10 years of beverage packages on Princess. 

Yes, I agree.  What if you wait

to buy the beverage package once OB?  Would it be better then, to buy on Day 2?  No sales tax?  🤔  

39 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, I agree.  What if you wait

to buy the beverage package once OB?  Would it be better then, to buy on Day 2?  No sales tax?  🤔  

I would think they post these transactions after leaving port.  There are other examples of this.  I guess it is safest to ask first if any additional taxes are going to be added.

40 minutes ago, fun_one said:

I don't understand why Princess has different rules than RCCL, Carnival and NCL regarding drinks prior to being in International Waters.

Texas has chosen to treat ships in the channel as if they are bars on land. So cruise lines have to pivot and adjust. There is no requirement that each cruise line implement the same workaround. No one workaround is more “right” than any other. And none are perfect. One thing you can count on is that you won’t be overcharged. Between limited selections in bars, account credits or tax assessments, you will get what is legally permissible. 

5 hours ago, reedprincess said:

On NCL, their drinks package does indeed work when embarking from Galveston.  It is of course with the limited menu of alcohol choices purchased in Texas.  Have first hand experience on an 11 day repo cruise from Galveston to Miami on the Prima.

12 hours ago, fun_one said:

I am still confused (sorry!).  We have sailed many other ships out of Galveston that don't have that rule where you can't use the drink package until hitting International waters.  If Princess has this rule, it is different from RCCl, Carnival and NCL because they serve a limited menu but still let you use the drink package from in port until you are in International waters.  

Actually, Carnival's Cheers package is not available to use on embarkation day at all on itineraries from Galveston or NYC.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Actually, Carnival's Cheers package is not available to use on embarkation day at all on itineraries from Galveston or NYC.

Must save CCL a ton of money, unless they refund you the day you are losing from drinking?

11 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Must save CCL a ton of money, unless they refund you the day you are losing from drinking?

From what I have read, they do not "refund" anything.  They just bill you up front for one less day of the package.  It's not as if this situation is catching them by surprise.  So for a 7 day cruise with a per-day charge for a package, you just get charged for 6 days.  That's what I read on the internet, so it must be true!

12 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

On NCL, their drinks package does indeed work when embarking from Galveston.  It is of course with the limited menu of alcohol choices purchased in Texas.  Have first hand experience on an 11 day repo cruise from Galveston to Miami on the Prima.

And you'll mote, I said "sales" which clearly, beverage packages are not, as you're not buying individual drinks.  

Princess has alcohol sales, of the few liquors allowed but has opted (at least last season) to not allow packages to be used and instead gives OBC to cover the short time til far enough at sea.

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

No, it's the exact opposite for many people so Carnival is printing money.  Many Carnival cruisers like to hit the ground running so to speak and probably drink more on the first day than on subsequent days.  Since Cheers doesn't kick in until day two, that means all those drinks are being paid for at individual prices plus 18% gratuity.