Carnival Upgrade Offers Lately

Kudos2Fly

We are booked in a standard balcony. I put in a request for an upgrade offer to a suite. I'm wondering what has been the offers from Carnival lately on upgrades from a balcony to a suite? We sail in Feb and the final payment date is in a few days. 

We were booked on the Vista in a balcony and was offered an upgrade to a spa balcony.  We jumped on it, but ended up canceling the whole cruise and rebooked the Magic in a spa balcony.  I know it wasn't a suite upgrade, but it thrilled us.

Edited by Butterbean1000

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We were booked on the Vista in a balcony and was offered an upgrade to a spa balcony.  We jumped on it, but ended up canceling the whole cruise and rebooked the Magic in a spa balcony.  I know it wasn't a suite upgrade, but it thrilled us.

What were they asking for the upgrade price?

3 hours ago, Kudos2Fly said:

We are booked in a standard balcony. I put in a request for an upgrade offer to a suite. I'm wondering what has been the offers from Carnival lately on upgrades from a balcony to a suite? We sail in Feb and the final payment date is in a few days. 

Can you explain what you mean by "put on request"? I thought carnival just informed you if an upgrade was available.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TiredTrucker said:

Can you explain what you mean by "put on request"? I thought carnival just informed you if an upgrade was available.

By the way I meant "put in a request".

I have done it before on Holland. You just tell them to put in your account you are willing to do an last minute upgrade. It worked on Holland, not that we do this all the time. Now it totally up to them if they call you. But at least they know you are interested in doing so. The person I talked to Carnival a few months ago said she would "note" it in our account. Who they choose to "give" the deals is up to Carnival.. 

There isn't an "upgrade/upsell" list.  If you have a long time PVP, they may keep an eye out for you for availability on a different stateroom on your sailing and let you know what the cost will be to cancel/rebook in the new stateroom.  If you are calling the general line, well, they just agreed with you instead of arguing since you will never talk to them again.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kudos2Fly said:

By the way I meant "put in a request".

I have done it before on Holland. You just tell them to put in your account you are willing to do an last minute upgrade. It worked on Holland, not that we do this all the time. Now it totally up to them if they call you. But at least they know you are interested in doing so. The person I talked to Carnival a few months ago said she would "note" it in our account. Who they choose to "give" the deals is up to Carnival.. 

Upsell calls are always based on cabin location and type.  Carnival wants to upsell you to a slower selling room type and resell your booked cabin at a higher price.  If you are in a connected cabin but not linked to the other side, you are prime for an upsell call. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

There isn't an "upgrade/upsell" list.  If you have a long time PVP, they may keep an eye out for you for availability on a different stateroom on your sailing and let you know what the cost will be to cancel/rebook in the new stateroom.  If you are calling the general line, well, they just agreed with you instead of arguing since you will never talk to them again.   

TA’s get these offers as well.  

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Upsell calls are always based on cabin location and type.  Carnival wants to upsell you to a slower selling room type and resell your booked cabin at a higher price.  If you are in a connected cabin but not linked to the other side, you are prime for an upsell call. 

The program actually works, cabins open up all the time during the process, especially near final pay.  For some, it it an easy decision, when other factors come into play (connecting rooms, desire to be near other cabins etc, the complication factor makes the decision less desirable (in some cases).  Options are always a good thing.

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The program actually works, cabins open up all the time during the process, especially near final pay.  For some, it it an easy decision, when other factors come into play (connecting rooms, desire to be near other cabins etc, the complication factor makes the decision less desirable (in some cases).  Options are always a good thing.

Sure, but expecting a TA or a PVP to constantly monitor when a different cabin opens and expect a deal is unrealistic since Carnival's computers are also at work.  If there are blocks of unsold cabin, we all get the "Pack and Go" offer.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Sure, but expecting a TA or a PVP to constantly monitor when a different cabin opens and expect a deal is unrealistic since Carnival's computers are also at work.  If there are blocks of unsold cabin, we all get the "Pack and Go" offer.  

Actially they do not have to.  They get notified of the client, and the offer.

Edited by jimbo5544

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

If they are targeted

Do not want to go into the weeds here.  The point of my posts is that however Carnival determines how they want to upsell cabins that are either open or have opened due to cancellation or other means, the process is that (in our case, assume it is the same for PVP) it is automated that we get opportunity to offer upgrades to clients.  Obviously they have have a way to determine whether it would be an upgrade or not.  I know factually that it is offered to many.  When taken, the opportunity to upgrade goes away.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do not want to go into the weeds here.  The point of my posts is that however Carnival determines how they want to upsell cabins that are either open or have opened due to cancellation or other means, the process is that (in our case, assume it is the same for PVP) it is automated that we get opportunity to offer upgrades to clients.  Obviously they have have a way to determine whether it would be an upgrade or not.  I know factually that it is offered to many.  When taken, the opportunity to upgrade goes away.

The post I was responding to suggests if anyone calls Carnival and be asked to be put on a special list, they will be contacted first for free upgrades or upsells to a desired cabin regardless of current cabin. 

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Where do you find this??

I didn't find it anywhere. I was working with a PVP at Holland and asked about upgrades. We did get a call but missed it and missed that one. Then a few weeks later since she knew I interested and called when she knew a room became available. We took that offer. 

9 hours ago, Kudos2Fly said:

I didn't find it anywhere. I was working with a PVP at Holland and asked about upgrades. We did get a call but missed it and missed that one. Then a few weeks later since she knew I interested and called when she knew a room became available. We took that offer. 

So for Holland not Carnival?

56 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

So for Holland not Carnival?

Yes, but also had Carnival do this a couple of time with us. We decided not to take the offer at that time... It doesn't always happen and I don't always request... Plus I never said anything about a list they keep. I have no ideal that they do keep one and I doubt it. It never hurts to ask.... 

I also wrote a letter to the Captain on one of our cruises to have a dinner with the Captain (Carnival)... Guess what it was honored. The main question I had was what Carnival was asking for upgrade costs. Only one person answer my question... Sorry about mention about putting in the request for an upgrade. 

Edited by Kudos2Fly

39 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

good question, we have a good friend who used to work for Carnival and now works for HAL.  I will ask.

That cruise we did with Holland was back in 2015. So what they are doing now or Carnival is doing may be different. The person with Carnival I talked to a few months ago would note it on our account is what they said. Now whether they did this is another story. My guess they say a lot to make people feel "special".  We paid $600 for the Holland upgrade from standard balcony to a "lower level suite" on Holland which was still great for us. Saved us $400. So I was just wondering what Carnival was offering for upgrades to suite lasted minute. If it's about 400-600 we would take that offer for this cruise. "IF" Carnival calls us which I give 90% or lower they don't...

1 hour ago, Kudos2Fly said:

That cruise we did with Holland was back in 2015. So what they are doing now or Carnival is doing may be different. The person with Carnival I talked to a few months ago would note it on our account is what they said. Now whether they did this is another story. My guess they say a lot to make people feel "special".  We paid $600 for the Holland upgrade from standard balcony to a "lower level suite" on Holland which was still great for us. Saved us $400. So I was just wondering what Carnival was offering for upgrades to suite lasted minute. If it's about 400-600 we would take that offer for this cruise. "IF" Carnival calls us which I give 90% or lower they don't...

Typically the offers are fairly close in price and rooms, your experience may have varied.  Do you doubt me that this is in place?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Typically the offers are fairly close in price and rooms, your experience may have varied.  Do you doubt me that this is in place?

Again I was just asking what Carnival was offering for upgrade from balcony to suite for last minute upgrades now. 

6 minutes ago, Kudos2Fly said:

Again I was just asking what Carnival was offering for upgrade from balcony to suite for last minute upgrades now. 

The answer is "it depends".  If they have enough time, they'll shop it around as an upgrade offer for hundreds of dollars (if not more).

If they have only a little time left before sailing it may get offered for much less, and if/when taken, then try to fill that cabin with an upgrade offer the the next tier down, etc.

I've been offered a couple of lateral moves (at best, IMHO - one balcony to another, last one on the same deck just more mid-ship) for an upcoming cruise that were something like $90 extra.  Not worth it to me.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The answer is "it depends".  If they have enough time, they'll shop it around as an upgrade offer for hundreds of dollars (if not more).

If they have only a little time left before sailing it may get offered for much less, and if/when taken, then try to fill that cabin with an upgrade offer the the next tier down, etc.

I've been offered a couple of lateral moves (at best, IMHO - one balcony to another, last one on the same deck just more mid-ship) for an upcoming cruise that were something like $90 extra.  Not worth it to me.

The only lateral move I would be interested in is an extend balcony..... Thanks for the info.