Getting to Manhattan Cruise Terminal, NYC

Smitheroo

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

yes, the two "penn" stations often confuse passengers. you want the final stop in manhattan... THAT penn station, not the imposter in newark.

ha ha, when you referred to the two Penn stations I had no idea what you meant.  

56 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

no, but I'm an old lady and we get things cheaper lol. There's a bus service that goes from Newark to the Port Authority in NYC and for seniors the fare is $9.   But that's several steps to get to the boat and it might be easier to take an NCL transfer.  

If airfares to EWR and LGA are the same and you want the absolutely cheapest ground transportation fare from an area airport to the cruise terminal then fly to LGA, where you can take the free Q70 bus to the Jackson Heights 74th St/Roosevelt Ave subway station and then take the E train from there to 50th St and 8th Ave in Manhattan, followed by a walk to the cruise terminal.

Subway fare is $2.90, or $1.45 if you've gone to the trouble of applying for the reduced fare for senior citizens and people with disabilities.

Edited by njhorseman

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

Applicable to all decisions is the fact that the area between midtown Manhattan and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is relatively secure. Generally, you need not concern yourself, though if walking between, say, midnight and 6:00 a.m., you should be more attentive (though that is probably the same advice that would apply most anywhere).

Walking between Port Authority Bus Terminal and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is a pleasant stroll, suitable for most people other than those who are frail, disabled, or carrying substantial baggage.

There are several choices of travel from Newark Airport to midtown Manhattan, but the Coach USA bus from the airport terminals is the most convenient and direct, short of a hired car (e.g., taxi). The regular is $18.70, with half fare for seniors. The bus brings passengers to West 42nd Street, west of Eighth Avenue, outside the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Other options include (1) trains, which requires a transfer from a monorail train to a commuter train, that leave you at Pennsylvania Station, more distant from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal than Port Authority Bus Terminal, and (2) local public transportation, which requires multiple transfers, that leaves you at Herald Square, also more distant from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal than Port Authority Bus Terminal. While there are ferries from New Jersey that arrive in Manhattan at Pier 79, which is very close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, there is no convenient transportation from Newark Airport to any of these New Jersey ferries. I imagine that the NCL-arranged transfer would be the most expensive and least flexible means of travel--and for those reasons I would likely reject the option--but it would obviate the need to get from any midtown Manhattan transportation terminal to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

From Portland I also note the existence of a very comfortable bus service operated by Concord Coach Lines. With 2+1 executive-style seating, free movies, power outlets, and Wi-Fi Plus, it is a really nice way to travel. Not cheap, but $85 one-way is not unreasonable. Departing from the combined railroad and bus terminal in Portland at 6:30 a.m. daily except Tuesdays, the first class coach arrives on the east side of Manhattan, East 42nd Street between First and Second Avenues (not Port Authority Bus Terminal) at 12:30 p.m. . . . you could then ride the M42 crosstown bus from the Concord Coach Lines stop to the Hudson River, near the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Yes, I was very intereseted in the bus you are referring to and even the regular Concord Coach to NYC looks okay. (I take it from portland to boston often)  but the arrival time in NYC had me worried. The plane arrives earlier. And the plane fare is only a little more than the bus.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UKstages said:

i live in the allegedly “seedy” neighborhood, adjacent to the broadway theatre district. I routinely walk this neighborhood, even at night and in the wee hours of the morning. and I typically walk, with luggage, through this allegedly “seedy” neighborhood to the manhattan cruise terminal. i did so just a few weeks ago.

it’s perfectly safe and you’ll see many people doing this, including the ship’s crew, who can often be found at the nearby target store, buying snacks, sundries and personal items. you are more likely to get scammed in a taxi from port authority than you would be if you walked through the neighborhood. taxi drivers, after waiting in a queue to pick up a fare, will not be terribly pleased that you are going such a short distance. but, yes, the fare will be low, assuming they don’t take you for a ride… $14 sounds about right.

as for the bus from EWR (newark airport express), it’s $9.35 for seniors (62 and above) or $18.70 (regular price). a taxi from EWR to the manhattan cruise terminal at peak times will run about $120 including tolls, surcharges and tip.

I used to be a ship "groupie" in the days when visitors were allowed on board the ship before it sailed. (for a very small donation)I followed the shipping schedules in the NY Times.   I would take the bus from where I lived in NJ to the Port Authority and walk down to the docks (Dont think it was even known as Manhattan Cruise Terminal then- in the 60's, but even if it was it was "the docks"  to us)  I dont even remember how I got there, had to have been by walking and dont remember any problems.  I have vague memories of running through traffic under the elevated road above.   But that was a very long time ago.  Fun times.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Yes, I was very intereseted in the bus you are referring to and even the regular Concord Coach to NYC looks okay. (I take it from portland to boston often)

I think very highly of Concord Coach Lines. Their regular bus service, which travel upon often to South Station, is, in my opinion, the best regular bus service available in the entire United States. Their executive bus service, to New York City, is even better! White I have not traveled on C&J Bus Lines (Portsmouth and Dover), my understanding is that their operations are similarly fine. It is also on par with Orléans Express, which I believe to be the best regular bus service in all of Canada (operating primarily between Québec and Montréal).

23 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I used to be a ship "groupie" in the days when visitors were allowed on board the ship before it sailed.

I remember that as well, in the 1980s, though in San Francisco rather than New York City. No security check or anything else . . . just board the vessel and look around! So much of our innocence has been lost in the intervening years (much on September 11, 2001) that it saddens me greatly.

2 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I think very highly of Concord Coach Lines. Their regular bus service, which travel upon often to South Station, is, in my opinion, the best regular bus service available in the entire United States. Their executive bus service, to New York City, is even better! White I have not traveled on C&J Bus Lines (Portsmouth and Dover), my understanding is that their operations are similarly fine. It is also on par with Orléans Express, which I believe to be the best regular bus service in all of Canada (operating primarily between Québec and Montréal).

I remember that as well, in the 1980s, though in San Francisco rather than New York City. No security check or anything else . . . just board the vessel and look around! So much of our innocence has been lost in the intervening years (much on September 11, 2001) that it saddens me greatly.

someone told me they thought this stopped sometime in the 1980's By that time it would mostly be cruise ships.  When I visited the ships in dock in the 1960s it was mostly ocean liners although many of them did cruises in the winter.   SS United States, the original QM (which I sailed on),the original Queen Elizabeth, the QE2, some of the smaller Cunard liners,  the Rotterdam (HAL) and then the stunning new liner, the Hamburg.  I remember the SS United States being so plain compared to these brass and red carpet beauties.  Floors were linoleum and lots of stainless steel. Kind of like an American Diner

• Like 1

I suppose my romanticism for the liner days is illustrated that most of the cruises I have traveled upon are one-way or partial, transportation from one place to another, and not a mere round-trip excursion. It also extends to my criticism of modern cruise vessels as being little more than a homogeneous residential skyscraper plopped on top of a hull. Even the QM2 suffers from that attribute. While the United States might have been plain, it was however, a real liner built in the style of its 1950s time.

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

savvy new yorkers know that it's much easier - and almost always quicker - to get to midtown west from EWR than any other new york area airport.

it's also a hub for united airlines, so those who prefer united, or those who are using or accruing united frequent flyer miles fly into newark airport.

If it is a hub for United, EWR may very well be preferable - but anyone who has regularly done both will prefer LGA over EWR for getting to a midtown west location.

in the before times, i traveled 100,000 miles or more by air every year. i live in midtown west. i am somebody who has regularly used all three "new york" area airports. EWR is vastly preferable.

it should be noted that while LGA is technically an international airport (it has flights to and from canada and some caribbean islands that have USA pre-clearance), it is, for all practical terms. a domestic airport. and that limits its usefulness for many. 

it should also be noted that LGA was, until very recently, in effect a third world airport with few modern conveniences or services. they're in the midst of a multi billion dollar renovation (terminals  B and C) which has done wonders to bring them into the modern age. but there is still construction surrounding the airport property and that currently has the ability to add significant travel time for all those arriving and departing.

9 hours ago, GTJ said:

I suppose my romanticism for the liner days is illustrated that most of the cruises I have traveled upon are one-way or partial, transportation from one place to another, and not a mere round-trip excursion. It also extends to my criticism of modern cruise vessels as being little more than a homogeneous residential skyscraper plopped on top of a hull. Even the QM2 suffers from that attribute. While the United States might have been plain, it was however, a real liner built in the style of its 1950s time.

I thought it was a former military ship, the reason it was not fancy. It was repurposed as a passenger liner. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

If airfares to EWR and LGA are the same and you want the absolutely cheapest ground transportation fare from an area airport to the cruise terminal then fly to LGA, where you can take the free Q70 bus to the Jackson Heights 74th St/Roosevelt Ave subway station and then take the E train from there to 50th St and 8th Ave in Manhattan, followed by a walk to the cruise terminal.

Subway fare is $2.90, or $1.45 if you've gone to the trouble of applying for the reduced fare for senior citizens and people with disabilities.

Inexpensive is good but not if it is more inconvenient.  From Newark it is one bus ride to the Port Authority and from there either walk or take a cab to the cruise terminal. So, that would cost a bit more but be much easier.   The more legs, the more of a chance for a problem but choices are good

• Like 1

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I dont think many planes from the Northeast go to LGA. I dont remember seeing that as a choice  often, if at all.  After one experience in JFK I avoid it as much as possible.

45 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I dont think many planes from the Northeast go to LGA. I dont remember seeing that as a choice  often, if at all.  After one experience in JFK I avoid it as much as possible.

You're mistaken.  There are many, many flights from the Northeast to LGA. There are flights from Portland and more flights than you can count from Boston.

LGA has recently undergone a multi billion dollar renovation and is now one of the most modern airports in the USA.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You're mistaken.  There are many, many flights from the Northeast to LGA. There are flights from Portland and more flights than you can count from Boston.

LGA has recently undergone a multi billion dollar renovation and is now one of the most modern airports in the USA.

strange, guess I rarely look at flights to the NY/NJ area as a destination.  I avoid all flights that have connections at JFK. Will go through EWR if needed.  I dont recall seeing any going through LGA. Maybe its the airline I prefer which is Jet Blue.   I'll have to make a point of noticing in the future.  In this situation I'd much rather go to EWR  unless I'm taking an NCL transfer. That is easy.   Get on the bus, get off at your destination. 

37 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

strange, guess I rarely look at flights to the NY/NJ area as a destination.  I avoid all flights that have connections at JFK. Will go through EWR if needed.  I dont recall seeing any going through LGA. Maybe its the airline I prefer which is Jet Blue.   I'll have to make a point of noticing in the future.  In this situation I'd much rather go to EWR  unless I'm taking an NCL transfer. That is easy.   Get on the bus, get off at your destination. 

For your future travel planning, Jet Blue has many daily nonstop flights from Boston to LGA.

22 hours ago, UKstages said:

i live in the allegedly “seedy” neighborhood, adjacent to the broadway theatre district. I routinely walk this neighborhood, even at night and in the wee hours of the morning. and I typically walk, with luggage, through this allegedly “seedy” neighborhood to the manhattan cruise terminal. i did so just a few weeks ago.

it’s perfectly safe and you’ll see many people doing this, including the ship’s crew, who can often be found at the nearby target store, buying snacks, sundries and personal items. you are more likely to get scammed in a taxi from port authority than you would be if you walked through the neighborhood. taxi drivers, after waiting in a queue to pick up a fare, will not be terribly pleased that you are going such a short distance. but, yes, the fare will be low, assuming they don’t take you for a ride… $14 sounds about right.

as for the bus from EWR (newark airport express), it’s $9.35 for seniors (62 and above) or $18.70 (regular price). a taxi from EWR to the manhattan cruise terminal at peak times will run about $120 including tolls, surcharges and tip.

It is safer to walk than to take the subway IMHO.

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

For your future travel planning, Jet Blue has many daily nonstop flights from Boston to LGA.

The reason I havent seen those is because I dont normally travel from Portland Maine to New York by plane   If I go anywhere near NY by air its a connecting flight in which case I opt for Newark. I cant comment on LGA in that instance because I havent been there in at least 40 years. You'll know how long ago it was because I was traveling with 2 small children and they actually allowed my husband to come on board to help me get them situated. Then he got off the plane.  But I have been to JFK more recently and I still say best avoided if possible.   I do know where LGA is located as well as JFK and still say its a lot easier to come from EWR into Manhattan  and from someone's comment that classifies me as "savvy" lol   Its easier for me as I dont know anything about Queens and Brooklyn but I Newark and that area of NJ well. 

Edited by Smitheroo

38 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

probably is. I havent heard stories of people being shoved into the street in the path of an uncoming car.

I have lived in NY 80 plus years.The last time I was on a subway was 1990 when a guy grabbed me and put a knife to my throat as he attempted to throw me unto the tracks.

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have lived in NY 80 plus years.The last time I was on a subway was 1990 when a guy grabbed me and put a knife to my throat as he attempted to throw me unto the tracks.

that's what I meant. People DO get shoved onto the tracks in front of trains but havent heard of it happening to someone being thrown into traffic. That must have been horrifying. Being in a NYC subway is horrifying (some cities it is an ok experience) and I make sure I stand way back from the edge

4 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

that's what I meant. People DO get shoved onto the tracks in front of trains but havent heard of it happening to someone being thrown into traffic. That must have been horrifying. Being in a NYC subway is horrifying (some cities it is an ok experience) and I make sure I stand way back from the edge

It was horrifying.That is why I have never been back to a subway.

28 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

People DO get shoved onto the tracks in front of trains but havent heard of it happening to someone being thrown into traffic. * * * Being in a NYC subway is horrifying (some cities it is an ok experience) and I make sure I stand way back from the edge

Without doubt it is horrifying the acts of some people pushing others as you have described. Unfortunately it is sad truth that parallel incidents occur above ground, though more often of the form of motor vehicles themselves plowing into individuals or crowds of people, than people being pushed by others into the path of a motor vehicle. I have had two serious incidents of being placed in this type of danger.

First, I was walking on the sidewalk in Secaucus, New Jersey, when an automobile, traveling on a perpendicular street, turned the corner, and instead of going down the street I was walking aside, the automobile jumped the curb onto the sidewalk. Its bulk almost hit me, a portion of the vehicle did become detached and did hit me, and the vehicle had struck a street light pole that that then fell over on top of me. The automobile driver literally ran away from the incident (on foot) to escape liability. One of the passengers then lied to the investigating police officer, claiming to have been the driver. Second, I was riding on a street railway car in San Francisco, California, when an automobile, traveling downhill at a speed later estimated by police to about 50 miles per hour, swerved into the opposite lane, its driver purposefully aiming for a head-on collision with the streetcar. The struck streetcar broke free from its cable, throwing its operating crew, and rolled uncontrollably back down the hill it had been climbing. The automobile driver succeeded in his suicide quest. In both incidents my personal injuries were luckily not severe (one not even requiring a hospital visit), but had the greater effect of cementing my concerns over the dangers of transportation generally, and the hazards of reckless driving in particular.

The sum of the above is that the streets of New York City--or anyplace, for that matter--are not clearly safer or more secure than its subway. The are dangers with both streets and subways, and in each case one needs to exercise reasonable caution (such as, for example, walking or waiting alertly) to minimize such risks. One could avoid the risks by staying locked up at home, and never going anywhere. I have not done that: I still walk on sidewalks, and I still travel on streetcars, despite the possibility of another similar street incident (mainly because the likelihood, statistically, is so low). If you want to see the world, there are going to be risks, not all of which can be avoided completely.