Getting to Manhattan Cruise Terminal, NYC

Smitheroo

7 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Inexpensive is good but not if it is more inconvenient.

What you are saying, effectively, is that it is a balancing between cost and convenience. I think that is right. Moreover, it is not a uniform or objective balancing: each person values those two factors individually, and different people will come to a variety of balancing conclusions. This is the primary reason that I don't like questions that are posed in this forum about the "best" way to get someplace without any guidance from the poster as criteria are important to them in making that personal balancing. Perhaps even more uncomfortable are responses from some who state, emphatically, that there is a single "best" answer that they know, and that anyone who disagrees is absolutely wrong. In these circumstances, I can offer my personal observations, how I analyze from the perspective of a public transportation professional with expertise in that area, and I can offer how I balance things. But I also acknowledge that you might be different. Hopefully I did that well here.

• 2 months later...

I was involved in a thread of this topic several months ago. It may have been on another part of Cruise Critic (which I couldnt find just now) in which case this thread will be moved. The discussion was about the different ways to get to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. I asked if the neighborhood was "seedy" and was lambasted by someone who lives in the neighborhood.  I would like to report back on my personal experience.   I stayed two nights at the Hi Hostel NYC in the Upper West Side and on the morning of embarkation I took the subway to the 59th street station. I did this because the 59th is "accessible" in that it has an elevator.  When I arrived in NYC (Newark Airport Express bus into the Port Authority from Newark Airport)  I came into the Port Authority area (bus discharged passengers on the street, not in the terminal) and went to the 42nd street station to take the subway to the Hi Hostel. The escalator and elevator were both out of order and it was really really difficult for me, a 73 yr old woman with some mobility issues, to lug my 24 inch suitcase plus a brief case plus a back pack through the subways and onto the trains.  I am digressing here but I want to say that my experience was that although it was extremely difficult for me, the number of New Yorkers who offered to help me was remarkable. Mostly men, young and older, black and white, professionals (in appearance?) and blue collar workers (in appearance?) It was amazing. I did a few staircases on my own at first after which I gladly accepted help from these remarkable New Yorkers.   Ok, back to my account.  So I left the Hi Hostel at 9:15 am and walked to the 96th street subway station on Broadway (it had a working elevator at the time, the 103rd street had no elevator) I got off at the 59th street station (for the reason explained above) and started walking to Manhattan Cruise Terminal with my luggage. I wove my way down there by walking one block horizontally, then going down one block towards the dock,  repeating this  pattern over and over. I thought it would be easier to walk the city streets with my luggage rather than lug it up/down the stairs in the station.  I arrived at the waterfront by  11 am, in plenty of time for my chosen embarkation time at Pier 88.  Fortunately the weather cooperated and it was very pleasant.  But it was a lot of work and I would not recommend any one to do this unless young and in good shape. (I did see a middle aged couple coming up 46th street from the waterfront with two large suitcases and they looked a bit winded)  About the footbridge-  I tried to take that across 12th avenue and found that the end on the waterfront had only a staircase down which doesnt make a lot of sense when it has a ramp on the other end in addition to a staircase.  The other choice I had (the staircase was a non choice to me at that point)  terminated at the Intrepid Museum with a number to call to get access to the ship terminal.  I turned around, went back over the footbridge and down on the street, crossing 12th ave by foot.  Advice to anyone trying this: just cross at the crosswalk. It is clearly marked and there are traffic lights. Plus there was a traffic cop directing traffic from the arrivals. Forget the footbridge. Sorry that this is rambling but I wanted to report back because there was quite a discussion previously.  My advice is to find another way to get from the Port Authority to Pier 88 where NCL docks only because it was very tiring. I felt completely safe. There were people everywhere going about their business, doing their jobs, and walking dogs.   I hope the person who was offended because I asked if this neighborhood was "seedy" sees my update.

3 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I just take a cab or Uber from my hotel to the port. No way would I drag luggage thru any city to save a few bucks. 

Agree. Want to be fresh for that embarkation photo and save my energy for exploring the ship!

OTOH.... maybe I should earn that first buffet lunch and get some steps in first.....

In all seriousness, kudos for @smitheroo for walking it and sharing her experience. But it's not something I would endeaver to take on to kick start my day.

Edited by cruisewingman

5 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I was involved in a thread of this topic several months ago. It may have been on another part of Cruise Critic (which I couldnt find just now) in which case this thread will be moved. The discussion was about the different ways to get to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. I asked if the neighborhood was "seedy" and was lambasted by someone who lives in the neighborhood.  I would like to report back on my personal experience.   I stayed two nights at the Hi Hostel NYC in the Upper West Side and on the morning of embarkation I took the subway to the 59th street station. I did this because the 59th is "accessible" in that it has an elevator.  When I arrived in NYC (Newark Airport Express bus into the Port Authority from Newark Airport)  I came into the Port Authority area (bus discharged passengers on the street, not in the terminal) and went to the 42nd street station to take the subway to the Hi Hostel. The escalator and elevator were both out of order and it was really really difficult for me, a 73 yr old woman with some mobility issues, to lug my 24 inch suitcase plus a brief case plus a back pack through the subways and onto the trains.  I am digressing here but I want to say that my experience was that although it was extremely difficult for me, the number of New Yorkers who offered to help me was remarkable. Mostly men, young and older, black and white, professionals (in appearance?) and blue collar workers (in appearance?) It was amazing. I did a few staircases on my own at first after which I gladly accepted help from these remarkable New Yorkers.   Ok, back to my account.  So I left the Hi Hostel at 9:15 am and walked to the 96th street subway station on Broadway (it had a working elevator at the time, the 103rd street had no elevator) I got off at the 59th street station (for the reason explained above) and started walking to Manhattan Cruise Terminal with my luggage. I wove my way down there by walking one block horizontally, then going down one block towards the dock,  repeating this  pattern over and over. I thought it would be easier to walk the city streets with my luggage rather than lug it up/down the stairs in the station.  I arrived at the waterfront by  11 am, in plenty of time for my chosen embarkation time at Pier 88.  Fortunately the weather cooperated and it was very pleasant.  But it was a lot of work and I would not recommend any one to do this unless young and in good shape. (I did see a middle aged couple coming up 46th street from the waterfront with two large suitcases and they looked a bit winded)  About the footbridge-  I tried to take that across 12th avenue and found that the end on the waterfront had only a staircase down which doesnt make a lot of sense when it has a ramp on the other end in addition to a staircase.  The other choice I had (the staircase was a non choice to me at that point)  terminated at the Intrepid Museum with a number to call to get access to the ship terminal.  I turned around, went back over the footbridge and down on the street, crossing 12th ave by foot.  Advice to anyone trying this: just cross at the crosswalk. It is clearly marked and there are traffic lights. Plus there was a traffic cop directing traffic from the arrivals. Forget the footbridge. Sorry that this is rambling but I wanted to report back because there was quite a discussion previously.  My advice is to find another way to get from the Port Authority to Pier 88 where NCL docks only because it was very tiring. I felt completely safe. There were people everywhere going about their business, doing their jobs, and walking dogs.   I hope the person who was offended because I asked if this neighborhood was "seedy" sees my update.

I remember that thread.  It was in the East Coast departures section.  If you don't mind me asking, how was that hostel?  I looked into staying there before my next cruise, but I decided to just come in town the day of the cruise.  But I still may stay there in the future

11 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Uber is not expensive and takes you quickly in comfort right up to the porters who take your bags on board.

I know.  I do weird things sometimes. It was an immersion experience for sure. I dont think I would do it again with a suitcase. WIthout a suitcase I would do it unless it was bad weather.  I never felt any degree of danger.

27 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I remember that thread.  It was in the East Coast departures section.  If you don't mind me asking, how was that hostel?  I looked into staying there before my next cruise, but I decided to just come in town the day of the cruise.  But I still may stay there in the future

The hostel had many pluses: location, close to the subway, many businesses in the surrounding area, a cool international vibe, very friendly and helpful staff, a great snack bar with good variety of food, very clean and they run tours and other activities, many of which are either free or small charge. the negatives: what you would expect with a hostel, the lack of privacy. I was hoping that in January I would be lucky enough to have a room (4 female room) for myself. Nope. The website states that there are privacy curtains. Nope. I rigged up a makeshift curtain with the top sheet they gave me which helped. I would probably go back but would bring a more substantial material to use for a privacy curtain. The room was too small for 4 females who didnt know each other.  One guest thought nothing of putting the light on at any time, another went out nights and slept during the day, the third was just plain weird but she only stayed 1 night. Pleasant enough people (well, two of them were) but the nature of the accommodation was difficult (although what you would probably expect with a hostel) I thought the bathrooms would be sink, toilet and shower in one unit (some hostels have this arrangment, I think Boston HI does) with many units. This one had the typical instituational type bathrooms with multiple sinks, toilet stalls and shower stalls. But all very clean.  If you've lived in a college dorm it will seem normal to you. I have not.  They also have a huge self service laundry and a kitchen where you can cook your food.  They also have private rooms you can book but of course cost a lot more. It would be a lot better if it were 4 females who knew each other sharing a room but like I said, I would go back with modifications. I had a great sleep mask which provided me total darkness but need better ear plugs. Another thing- the beds are short. I am 5 ft 2 inches and my head and feet touched the rails at each end. So if you are a taller female you might not be too comfortable. The mattresses were so-so. I'm a camper so I can deal with that.  I imagine the male beds would be longer.  Also, my 24 inch suitcase did fit in the locker front to back with some room on the sides and top of the suitcase. (I purchased a padlock for $6)  I saw a room for additional storage which i think there is a fee for, plus a really nice patio that would be nice to sit at in good weather

Edited by Smitheroo

oh, my.

glad you made the trip to the MCT and that it was uneventful and that you were helped along the way by many friendly new yorkers.

i live in the neighborhood and responded to your initial inquiry in a helpful way and pretty much told you that you would experience exactly what you describe in this thread. the neighborhood is quite walkable!

i did however reject the notion that the neighborhood was "seedy." and i did that by putting the word in quotes, just as you have done here and just as you did there. and i put the word "allegedly" before it to indicate that i didn't agree. i referred to it in my post as the "allegedly seedy" neighborhood. because it ain't seedy.

please note that there are a few key pieces of information divulged in this post that weren't revealed before. that you are 73 and that you have some mobility issues. oh, and that you would be carrying more luggage than you initially described. you initially said that you had "carry on" bags. here you describe a brief case plus a backpack and also a 24 inch suitcase. you also changed your departure point. originally, you had asked for advice in navigating from the port authority bus terminal, which is considerably closer to the cruise terminal than any of the other locales you describe in this post. (much of that original post is about you arriving on a bus from newark airport and wishing to go directly to the MCT.) 

had you explained all that initially, and that you would be coming from the upper west side, neither i nor anybody else would likely have advised you to walk through any neighborhood nor cross a footbridge nor take the subway or navigate the many steps required to get in and out of most subway stations.

again, very glad you survived the journey! but it would be really helpful to explain everything you're thinking of doing, so you can get the best advice for your particular situation.

here's a link to the original thread...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I was involved in a thread of this topic several months ago. It may have been on another part of Cruise Critic (which I couldnt find just now) in which case this thread will be moved...

@Smitheroo

Your new thread on an incorrect forum has been moved & merged into your previous thread. In the future if you want to find one of your previous posts, click here: How To: Find your Own Posts, Photos, Albums etc

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of that forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications. If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

7 hours ago, UKstages said:

oh, my.

glad you made the trip to the MCT and that it was uneventful and that you were helped along the way by many friendly new yorkers.

i live in the neighborhood and responded to your initial inquiry in a helpful way and pretty much told you that you would experience exactly what you describe in this thread. the neighborhood is quite walkable!

i did however reject the notion that the neighborhood was "seedy." and i did that by putting the word in quotes, just as you have done here and just as you did there. and i put the word "allegedly" before it to indicate that i didn't agree. i referred to it in my post as the "allegedly seedy" neighborhood. because it ain't seedy.

please note that there are a few key pieces of information divulged in this post that weren't revealed before. that you are 73 and that you have some mobility issues. oh, and that you would be carrying more luggage than you initially described. you initially said that you had "carry on" bags. here you describe a brief case plus a backpack and also a 24 inch suitcase. you also changed your departure point. originally, you had asked for advice in navigating from the port authority bus terminal, which is considerably closer to the cruise terminal than any of the other locales you describe in this post. (much of that original post is about you arriving on a bus from newark airport and wishing to go directly to the MCT.) 

had you explained all that initially, and that you would be coming from the upper west side, neither i nor anybody else would likely have advised you to walk through any neighborhood nor cross a footbridge nor take the subway or navigate the many steps required to get in and out of most subway stations.

again, very glad you survived the journey! but it would be really helpful to explain everything you're thinking of doing, so you can get the best advice for your particular situation.

here's a link to the original thread...

This is the advice I got from a former high school friend (we used to go into NYC frequently to do the things young people like to do)  "Be very, very careful about NYC. It is NOT like it used to be. People drive up on the sidewalks (I'm not kidding), her son goes into NYC everyday (he works on cell towers) and says its like the Wild Wild West with people all doing their own thing with no repercussions.  You have been warned."  My answer was thanks but you are going to find crazy situation everywhere, including Lewiston, Maine where we had our first mass shooting. And if I remember there was one incident not that long ago where someone drove up on the side walk, I think Times Square, for whatever reason.  

8 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I just take a cab or Uber from my hotel to the port. No way would I drag luggage thru any city to save a few bucks. 

My husbands thoughts exactly. Some of us think differently. In my case, I welcome an immersion experience and learn from that.  After a lot of research before the trip I realized that there wasnt much to fear. It definitely wasnt just to save a few bucks. 

Edited by Smitheroo

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

This is the advice I got from a former high school friend (we used to go into NYC frequently to do the things young people like to do)  "Be very, very careful about NYC. It is NOT like it used to be. People drive up on the sidewalks (I'm not kidding), her son goes into NYC everyday (he works on cell towers) and says its like the Wild Wild West with people all doing their own thing with no repercussions.  You have been warned."  My answer was thanks but you are going to find crazy situation everywhere, including Lewiston, Maine where we had our first mass shooting. And if I remember there was one incident not that long ago where someone drove up on the side walk, I think Times Square, for whatever reason.  

Did you see any of this?  I've been in NYC a half dozen times since Covid and never seen a car on a sidewalk (yes, it has happened 2 or 3 times in the past few years, but it's a big city and these are ISOLATED incidents, and it happened in Pre-covid times, too).  I have no idea what the 'do your own thing with no repercussions" thing means, but these are just scare creeds, generally spoken by folks with an issue.

You were there.  Will you tell your friends to watch out for cars on sidewalks?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Did you see any of this?  I've been in NYC a half dozen times since Covid and never seen a car on a sidewalk (yes, it has happened 2 or 3 times in the past few years, but it's a big city and these are ISOLATED incidents, and it happened in Pre-covid times, too).  I have no idea what the 'do your own thing with no repercussions" thing means, but these are just scare creeds, generally spoken by folks with an issue.

You were there.  Will you tell your friends to watch out for cars on sidewalks?

Of course not. I was just quoting my friend, one that used to go into NYC with me when we were in high school. I told her she was crazy (politely) and that anything can happen anywhere (thus my reference to the mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine in a place where  the motto is "Maine, the Way Life Should Be".)  People get mugged in their local grocery store parking lot, anywhere. I hear this all the time when I camp alone also.  I'm not exactly sure what "no repercussions" meant either. I'm assuming that she meant there is no law and order, which is why she called it the Wild West  lol.  Yes, I do think she has an "issue". She owns an assault weapon type gun for her protection.   There was an incident in the past year or two where someone with an issue about something drove up into a crowd on the sidewalk in NYC. It was on our local news in Maine.  No, if anyone asks me for advice I will tell them about the positive experience I had. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 3:03 PM, GTJ said:

Applicable to all decisions is the fact that the area between midtown Manhattan and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is relatively secure. Generally, you need not concern yourself, though if walking between, say, midnight and 6:00 a.m., you should be more attentive (though that is probably the same advice that would apply most anywhere).

Walking between Port Authority Bus Terminal and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is a pleasant stroll, suitable for most people other than those who are frail, disabled, or carrying substantial baggage.

There are several choices of travel from Newark Airport to midtown Manhattan, but the Coach USA bus from the airport terminals is the most convenient and direct, short of a hired car (e.g., taxi). The regular is $18.70, with half fare for seniors. The bus brings passengers to West 42nd Street, west of Eighth Avenue, outside the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Other options include (1) trains, which requires a transfer from a monorail train to a commuter train, that leave you at Pennsylvania Station, more distant from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal than Port Authority Bus Terminal, and (2) local public transportation, which requires multiple transfers, that leaves you at Herald Square, also more distant from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal than Port Authority Bus Terminal. While there are ferries from New Jersey that arrive in Manhattan at Pier 79, which is very close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, there is no convenient transportation from Newark Airport to any of these New Jersey ferries. I imagine that the NCL-arranged transfer would be the most expensive and least flexible means of travel--and for those reasons I would likely reject the option--but it would obviate the need to get from any midtown Manhattan transportation terminal to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

From Portland I also note the existence of a very comfortable bus service operated by Concord Coach Lines. With 2+1 executive-style seating, free movies, power outlets, and Wi-Fi Plus, it is a really nice way to travel. Not cheap, but $85 one-way is not unreasonable. Departing from the combined railroad and bus terminal in Portland at 6:30 a.m. daily except Tuesdays, the first class coach arrives on the east side of Manhattan, East 42nd Street between First and Second Avenues (not Port Authority Bus Terminal) at 12:30 p.m. . . . you could then ride the M42 crosstown bus from the Concord Coach Lines stop to the Hudson River, near the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

I missed your answer here.   I ended up taking the NCL transfer to Newark Airport because after making the first walk to the ship I didnt feel like walking back up to the Port Authority.   If I had known that my flight out of Newark was going to be cancelled (in other words, no notification from United) I would never have gone to Newark airport and would have arranged to do what you suggest here- take the Concord Trailways bus to Portland. I travel frequently on their Portland to Logan Airport bus and it is very comfortable with reliable service.  Although I dont know if I could have canceled the ship to Newark airport transfer  at such a late date and wouldnt have liked to waste $37.50 and then take the Concord Trailways bus.  I guess there was no great solution but i ended up getting on a standby flight to Boston and then took the Concord Trailways bus from Logan home to Portland   I'm hoping for some type of refund from United as there was a difference in fares but I'm not holding my breath. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got off the Getaway yesterday in NY and walked to Penn Station.  I can't believe that this is even a topic. It was such a short and easy walk.  I was actually laughing at the idea of any safety concerns.  If any part of that walk  was seedy, then I guess I simply don't know what seedy means. The only hassle was the throng of cabbies outside the port looking to pick up a fare.  It was too cold on embarkation day, so I took an uber.  I swear the uber ride took longer than my walk.

14 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

I got off the Getaway yesterday in NY and walked to Penn Station.  I can't believe that this is even a topic. It was such a short and easy walk...

Even closer I've walked with airline-sized check baggage to the C/E subway stop at 50th Street and 8th Ave. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 8:44 AM, Brighton Line said:

Even closer I've walked with airline-sized check baggage to the C/E subway stop at 50th Street and 8th Ave. 

That's what I do, it's usually around 9:00 am on a Sunday morning. There's usually a small caravan of people doing it.  I also travel very light.