Is it possible to self explore ports when cruising with Holland America Line?

RagnarDanneskjold

It's easy for us to self tour in the Caribbean and we have always done that. In Europe, we take tours for must see locations but have been comfortable to do sightseeing on our own too. Safety, obviously is key, but we've had some really great conversations with locals and never felt rushed like you do sometimes on a tour. I love leisurely enjoying meals and quiet observations while traveling.

• Like 1

John Galt would be an option for a username too, but Ragnar Danneskjold (the good pirate) seemed a more suitable choice for a cruise forum...🤭

I thank you all for the answers and tips...

I don't know if I should open a new thread for this, but I would like to know if there are any computers with internet access in HAL ships...

We're Brazilians, my wife has never cruised before and my experience with cruising is not that extensive either... I cruised with carnival when I was little and those computers were available, but I don't know if they are an option nowadays(this was more than 20 years ago)... My wife thinks that the price for Wi-fi is not worth it, but she would like to have some way to contact our daughter while cruising from time to time... If those computers are available, that would be a cheaper option than getting the wifi package.

1 hour ago, RagnarDanneskjold said:

I don't know if I should open a new thread for this, but I would like to know if there are any computers with internet access in HAL ships...

1 hour ago, RagnarDanneskjold said:

If those computers are available, that would be a cheaper option than getting the wifi package.

There are still computers on HAL ships for passenger use. However, your wife would still need to purchase a plan to be able to use the Internet. 
Navigator has no charge. 

On 11/6/2023 at 10:08 PM, AV8rix said:

.🙂

Sorry, just to make it clear, because I think I did not understand it very well...

So, even if she uses a "public computer in the ship", we would have to buy the wifi package to use it? Because if this is the Casey there would not be much sense in it, since she could simply use the wifi on her phone...

And about Navigator being free of charge, does this mean that she could.use Navigator to communicate with out daughter somehow? Or simply that one does not need a wifi package to get navigator to work?

15 hours ago, RagnarDanneskjold said:

Sorry, just to make it clear, because I think I did not understand it very well...

So, even if she uses a "public computer in the ship", we would have to buy the wifi package to use it? Because if this is the Casey there would not be much sense in it, since she could simply use the wifi on her phone...

And about Navigator being free of charge, does this mean that she could.use Navigator to communicate with out daughter somehow? Or simply that one does not need a wifi package to get navigator to work?

Umm, you quoted me accidentally.  I believe that you were referring to message #28 by @RuthC.

Booking yourself, even if the same tour/activity can be both cheaper and a better experience.   The main one I remember was on one of the islands, you could go jumping down waterfalls.

We booked with a private company, got picked up from the pier, driven to the start point, went down about 25 waterfalls in total.   When we got to the last 8, there was a big line of people waiting to start/take their turn.   Since we were already on the 'course', then our group automatically jumps to the front of the line just getting started.

So, the big line of people were the cruise ship bookings.   They only did the last 8 waterfalls, whereas we did about 25.   They were in a big group with probably a lot of waiting.   

Our only waiting was when my wife would hesitate at the top of some of the waterfalls.

I also believe ours was also cheaper.

16 hours ago, RagnarDanneskjold said:

The Navigator will not allow you to reach anyone off ship. You put your phone in Airplane Mode and open Navigator, similar to a Local Area Network or intranet.

29 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

The Navigator will not allow you to reach anyone off ship. You put your phone in Airplane Mode and open Navigator, similar to a Local Area Network or intranet.

Tech is not my thing but it is also my understanding that that you want to leave phone on airplane mode while on the ship to avoid your phone hooking up to ship's the internet - as opposed to Navigator.   I have read the costs can be eye popping.

Up until our last cruise with HIA, we have always managed very well with finding internet on shore, sometimes the cruise terminals offer it other times you may need to go buy a beverage and the restaurant will usually offer it free.  So unless you have a long string of sea days, you should be fine.

Also check your phone plan, We recently switched to something pink and with the plan we purchased, we discovered we can text and use our data in many foreign countries. It was a very pleasant surprise as that was not the reason for the switch. Calls are something like 25 cents a minute.  We make sure we leave our phones in airplane mode until we have actually docked though.

Techies feel free to correct.  This is just my understanding

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RagnarDanneskjold said:

So, even if she uses a "public computer in the ship", we would have to buy the wifi package to use it?

If your wife wants to use the Internet, or contact someone off the ship while she is on the ship, she will have to pay for it. 
I don't know how to be any more clear than that. 

Just because someone doesn't have a smart phone with them doesn't mean they don't want to connect. The computers are what they use, and HAL is good to provide them. 

@RagnarDanneskjold

You must differentiate between 'wifi' and 'internet'.

Wifi will connect your device to a wifi router.  When you are on the ship wifi (free) will connect your device to the ship's wifi router.  This will connect you to the ship's Intranet and you will be able to use Navigator to see the day's menus, events, entertainment etc and your onboard account, however you will not be connected to the Internet.  To contact someone at home you will need to use either Internet (at a cost) or Phone call (at a high cost) or stateroom phones (also high cost).  If you pay for internet then you will be able to send emails, WhatsApp messages etc to someone at home.  The higher priced WiFi package will support WiFi calling if your device is enabled for it.

The alternative is to make contact at Ports of Call during your cruise and use either free wifi (available sometimes in the cruise terminal or Starbucks, McDonalds etc  - just ask some crew members at each port) or ask your phone service provider about a 'Roaming' package.

It really depends on how often you will need to contact home.

The computers onboard work in the same way.  You will need to have internet package to send emails etc.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, REOVA said:

Pros: usually find cheaper, less crowded and more in depth tours when done on your own (do a lot of research on vendor) or join with a few other passengers (your roll call is a good place to look).

Cons: port delays or cancellations are common so book with someone that offers refund or no charge until tour complete. Make sure your time is no earlier than an hour after expected ship arrival and return no later than 2 hours before ship all aboard depending on itinerary. Many places have traffic issues getting back to ship and if you don't get back in time, ship will leave you doing a private tour. 

There is also another rather important consideration when booking independent tours:  Check how much advance notice is required to cancel the tour.  We are currently on the final leg of the Oosterdam's 26-day cruise from Athens to FLL.  We have had five ports cancelled, four in the final segment from Barcelona to FLL.  Two were for bad weather and two were for pilot strikes in Portugal.  One of the passengers had spent a considerable amount of money with Viator for excursions in those ports.  Unfortunately, Viator had a 24-hour cancellation requirement, and the ports were cancelled too late for advise Viator.  Further, the ship's internet has been poor, and the women had no opportunity to use a port's wifi.  Viator confirmed that no refund is forthcoming.  A HAL excursion, of course, would have been automatically cancelled.  So.... buyer beware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3