Vision Class supposedly will be around at least 3 more years

I remember cruise ships frequently sailing out of Philadelphia back in the day during the summer. But the lack of smaller ships have essentially eliminated cruising out of Philly.

But this will be an issue of sailing out of Baltimore, Tampa, and Jacksonville down the road as cruise lines scrap their smaller ships.

2 hours ago, toad455 said:

I remember cruise ships frequently sailing out of Philadelphia back in the day during the summer. But the lack of smaller ships have essentially eliminated cruising out of Philly.

But this will be an issue of sailing out of Baltimore, Tampa, and Jacksonville down the road as cruise lines scrap their smaller ships.

I think you can probably add New Orleans to that list, but not 100% positive. 

3 hours ago, toad455 said:

New Orleans can have the Voyager class sail out of there. Carnival's Spirit class also fits.

Thanks for that info. I've sailed Vision Class and Radiance class out of there but nothing bigger.

3 hours ago, toad455 said:

New Orleans can have the Voyager class sail out of there. Carnival's Spirit class also fits.

15 minutes ago, HERDFAN said:

Thanks for that info. I've sailed Vision Class and Radiance class out of there but nothing bigger.

All of the cruise terminals are downstream of the bridges.

43 minutes ago, marvelous35 said:

I researched this previously.  Radiance class ships can sail out of Baltimore.  Larger than Radiance class cannot.

Then I expect the Vision class days are numbered. I would love to see a Radiance class ship in Baltimore. We've done the majority of our cruises out of there. I'd rather drive for five hours than fly commercial for 5 minutes. 

• Like 4

It is sad to see Grandeur and Enchantment in port recently. They have clearly been very neglected. It really seems like they need to put some major money into rehabbing these ships or get rid of them.

It is sad to see that even the Fantasy class ships are in better shape than Grandeur and Enchantment. 

We have sailed on Enchantment and Vision a number of times in the past two years, and I would not call them neglected at all!  Viewed from the outside, of course you might see some rust, but that is no indication of the state of the interiors or decks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We have sailed on Enchantment and Vision a number of times in the past two years, and I would not call them neglected at all!  Viewed from the outside, of course you might see some rust, but that is no indication of the state of the interiors or decks.

We were given a galley tour of Vision just recently and were shocked to see the state of much of the equipment, and how many things were tagged out and waiting for repair. I'm sure that situation is not limited to the galleys, but can be found in other areas all over the ship. Hopefully they will do a dry dock and replace things so they can keep the old girl going!

4 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

We were given a galley tour of Vision just recently and were shocked to see the state of much of the equipment, and how many things were tagged out and waiting for repair. I'm sure that situation is not limited to the galleys, but can be found in other areas all over the ship. Hopefully they will do a dry dock and replace things so they can keep the old girl going!

Were they expecting a USPH inspection?  That is a classic galley staff dodge to get around not cleaning equipment up to USPH standards.  They just tag it out, wrap it in shrink wrap and claim its not working.  That way the galley staff try to transfer the blame to the engineering department.  Usually doesn't work real well, as the USPH are not dummies.

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Were they expecting a USPH inspection?  That is a classic galley staff dodge to get around not cleaning equipment up to USPH standards.  They just tag it out, wrap it in shrink wrap and claim its not working.  That way the galley staff try to transfer the blame to the engineering department.  Usually doesn't work real well, as the USPH are not dummies.

No, the equipment was legitimately out of service. Several examples were shown to us as the reason why we were getting inconsistent food in the main dining room, i.e., not served at the correct temperatures, overcooked, undercooked, etc.

Glad to hear the Vision Class will be around for a while, that (hopefully) means the Radiance Class has another 5+ years. As someone who prefers the older/smaller ships it is nice to have options especially now that Carnival has scrapped most of the Fantasy Class. 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:50 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

We just got off Vision last Saturday, and it was hinted that one of the smallest ships would be up for sale, not sure which one. 

AFAIK all the Vision class have been available for sale for many years.  Granduer was already "sold" to Pullmantur, but COVID killed them so Grandeur stayed.