Paul Gauguin vs Regent Navigator Tahiti?

abbe727

please advise we are experienced cruisers that usually go on Celebrity or Azamara used to high-end service and great experiences. Please advise which ship you think is the best for the Tahitian islands?
Thank you so much.

Both are definitely in the luxury category, and a step above Celebrity and Azamara. But which might be considered "best" is a very individual opinion. Besides looking at reviews on line, I'd be more concerned on the itineraries offered and the amount of time spent in each port.

Edited by mom says

Thank you. I think we’re gonna go with the Paul Gauguin. They can get closer to the islands as they have less of a draft on their ship, and this is 100% their specialty. Also, the particular itinerary we’re looking at looks great. Now our only question is where should we stay pre cruise? We have 4 nights, stay in Papeete, fly to Bora-Bora  or going to Moorea? Thank you again…

Edited by abbe727

32 minutes ago, abbe727 said:

Now our only question is where should we stay pre cruise? We have 4 nights, stay in Papeete, fly to Bora-Bora  or going to Moorea?

I would ask/research on the Pacific Islands port of call forum.  Lots of good info available.  Here's the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/62-pacific-islands-all/

Edited by ColeThornton

10 hours ago, abbe727 said:

... Now our only question is where should we stay pre cruise? We have 4 nights, stay in Papeete, fly to Bora-Bora  or going to Moorea? Thank you again…

@abbe727

To help you out on your last question, your thread has been moved to the Pacific Islands, All forum where it will be on topic.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2023 at 5:25 AM, abbe727 said:

Thank you. I think we’re gonna go with the Paul Gauguin. They can get closer to the islands as they have less of a draft on their ship, and this is 100% their specialty. Also, the particular itinerary we’re looking at looks great. Now our only question is where should we stay pre cruise? We have 4 nights, stay in Papeete, fly to Bora-Bora  or going to Moorea? Thank you again…

Just off the PG ... for my 16th time. I will give a detailed review later but I'm addressing the draft issue. Both can go to any of the islands usually visited by both ships. The Regent ship has a slightly deeper draft but not enough to make any difference. 

Though PG is home based in FP at on time it was a Regent ship so the line knows the islands/vendors. The Navigator is an all suite ship ... smallest cabin is 300 SF, Cat F, E, D and C on the PG are all around 200 SF minus the balcony. Regent includes most basic excursions whereas you pay on the PG. 

I will be on the Navigator in FP in January. Looking forward to this cruise so I can have a comparison. I love most of the things about the PG but competition is always good ... 

Will be on the Star Breeze in October, 2024.

As far as pre/post stays most pick Moorea ... so accessible from Tahiti. Many go to FP for Bora Bora but many fall in love with Moorea 😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...