Bringing champagne on board

mafig

We usually bring champagne on board for sail away (most of the time lately it's been in the room on other cruise lines).

As I said it's for sail away.    I have read that HAL charges a $20 corkage fee now.

Will I find a bucket of ice in my cabin (Vista A on Rotterdam) and champagne glasses?  Or will I have to go searching or bothering the room steward for these?

The only time I’ve found champagne on ice is when I’ve had a Neptune Suite. Yes, there are champagne flutes. (1st pic)

A90A3E5A-EBF7-43F5-9D0F-A43C4CD325F4.thumb.png.1de8438cbb934c741a16adda33fc3de2.png

Except now they’ve downgraded it to Wycliff “champagne” from CA and its god-awful. It’s even got a screw cap and there were no bubbles! (2nd pic)  But there will be ice already in the bucket so that’s a plus!

751A560A-F31F-472E-90B7-D7B935876C9B.thumb.jpeg.abd76bbe395befb1e2408a4e72724f5d.jpeg

When you board and head to your room, your room steward will magically appear to meet and greet you, and they will ask if you have any special requests.  Alternatively, there is a card in the room for you to fill out if you don’t see them before you head elsewhere. (3rd pic)

46CF7A91-ECA2-49B4-9634-9FB22221A5E9.thumb.jpeg.f090b05f731801147873b9e1efaaba6e.jpeg

I have found that the split of LaMarca Prosecco — which you will find in your bar fridge — has worked out just fine while my own champagne is chilling. (4th pic)  

A611C14E-1924-4C0A-9059-14CADE4BC549.thumb.jpeg.7c152090098eabe5823f2ea17affe1d2.jpeg

Alternatively, you can purchase champagne ahead of time and it will be there chilling when you board.  Or call for room service (? someone correct me on this) and they will send some right up.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Except now they’ve downgraded it to Wycliff “champagne” from CA and its god-awful. It’s even got a screw cap and there were no bubbles! (2nd pic)  But there will be ice already in the bucket so that’s a plus!

Yikes! A $5 bottle of wine for the suites😑 There's definitely some room for improvement here.

44 minutes ago, TYCruise said:

Yikes! A $5 bottle of wine for the suites😑 There's definitely some room for improvement here.

That’s $5/$6 retail!  Cost to buyer is probably in the $2.00-$3.00 range.  We each tried it and it wasn’t even worth that.  It probably scoured the drain when I poured it out though.  So there’s that.  🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, mafig said:

First day is usually hectic for the room steward

Yes it is, but they are there to assist you in getting your ice bucket filled and such.  I have always had the steward stop by when I enter the cabin or shortly after.  Some people have reported that they didn't see their steward on day one, but I think/hope that is a one-off situation!  I consider myself a thoughtful ship guest but getting an ice bucket doesn't feel like I'm "bothering" them at all!  Ask away and enjoy your cruise!  

~Nancy

• Like 1

If you are thinking of chilling your Champagne in an ice bucket, don't. (Unless it's a really big & tall bucket.)

A chilled base and a warm bottle neck are a recipe for disaster.

Edited by POA1
  • Haha 1