Suggestion for Mendenhall Glacier Shuttle Tour

surgie

The cruise line does not offer what I am interested in for Mendenhall Glacier for July 2024. I would like a shuttle to the visitor center (for 11 people) with time to take the Nugget Falls Hike on our own. Juneau Tours offers this for about $900 for all 11 of us. Other options you are familiar with? I read so much about passes not being available going the taxi route this past summer. I don't want to get to Juneau and find out we cannot get to the visitor center. 

https://www.juneautours.com/book-a-tour/details/344494/glacier-shuttle-tour/

8 minutes ago, surgie said:

The cruise line does not offer what I am interested in for Mendenhall Glacier for July 2024. I would like a shuttle to the visitor center (for 11 people) with time to take the Nugget Falls Hike on our own. Juneau Tours offers this for about $900 for all 11 of us. Other options you are familiar with? I read so much about passes not being available going the taxi route this past summer. I don't want to get to Juneau and find out we cannot get to the visitor center. 

https://www.juneautours.com/book-a-tour/details/344494/glacier-shuttle-tour/

You can just do it on your own.  If I remember right from my last two cruises there was a kiosk selling shuttle tickets to Mendenhall Glacier for about $25...  They drop you off at the visitor center and that there was return trips offered every 30 minutes.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You can just do it on your own.  If I remember right from my last two cruises there was a kiosk selling shuttle tickets to Mendenhall Glacier for about $25...  They drop you off at the visitor center and that there was return trips offered every 30 minutes.

This is what I did in May….the shuttle was easy and convenient, and I could take my time walking the trail. I would definitely go this way. BTW, I am a solo traveler and in my early 70’s. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

Ok I understand doing it on our own and we definitely can- but am I mistaken about this past summer that people were not able to get tickets to the visitor center or tours were cancelled or something? I am such a "reserve in advance" person that I don't want to get there and come up empty - especially with 5 kids in tow. 

Just now, neverbeenhere said:

Option # 2 is the City Bus, cheap, but drops you off quite a walk from the visitor's center.

Post/Search in the Alaska Forum for other options.

Not an option for us to do the bus and walk but thanks. 

2 minutes ago, surgie said:

Ok I understand doing it on our own and we definitely can- but am I mistaken about this past summer that people were not able to get tickets to the visitor center or tours were cancelled or something? I am such a "reserve in advance" person that I don't want to get there and come up empty - especially with 5 kids in tow. 

The visitor centre is nothing special but I can't imagine them not selling you a ticket right on the spot.  The real traffic is on the trails.  When we were there last I spent 15 minutes in the Visitor center max.  The last time I was there we did it as part of a RCi tour because it included whale watching.  When I return to Alaska, possibly 2025, I will do it self guided, like I'm recommending.  That is how I did it the first time we were in Juneau.  Even with 5 kids in tow you will be fine.  Enjoy Mendenhall and save your money for a t-shirt souvenir.  Or maybe a few extra drinks onboard to help you cope with 5 kids 🙂 

• Like 2

Does anyone have a National Parks Pass?  If you don’t have pass, there’s a fee that driver has to collect.  We were there this summer.  Took shuttle from port into town and then picked up a taxi. I’m sure you can prearrange taxi from port.  

I understand you’re planning for 11.  We paired up with another couple for the ride up to MG.  Hiked East Glacier Trail which starts right outside visitor’s center.  Then teamed up with two other couples for ride back into town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I honestly think Mendenhall is under whelming. It has receded so much. I would do something else instead.

I wondered about that...we saw it in 2015 but the others haven't. For some reason I am finding Juneau hard to plan!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 2:20 PM, surgie said:

You are not mistaken. This thread covers more than just the Blue Bus.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

You are not mistaken. This thread covers more than just the Blue Bus.

For others interested, I booked the shuttle to the glacier with Juneau Tours. Evidently there is no longer the $45 shuttle. We aren't interested in the taxi, rental car or city bus so this was the best option for us. They are running a special with 10% off for 2024 with the code EARLYBIRD24 if booked this year. 

• Like 1