Safety concerns

Rdclfamily

Hey all!

Is it safe to do a non-Carnival excursion in Costa Maya and Cozumel?

I'm not a fan of the corny over-priced Carnival excursions, but I am traveling with teens and I want to do the best thing from a safety standpoint.

We LOVE eating authentic Mexican.  The last time we tried to stay right near the port, we ended up having a horrible meal at a chain restaurant.

I read about renting a golf cart and that sounds fabulous.  

Thanks!

With a vendor who has a good reputation, like Native Choice, your safety should not be an issue.

It's easy to just grab a taxi and head to the malecon in Mahahual and go to one of the beach clubs there.

See myrecent post in  the Authentic thread here on food.

No particular safety concerns in Costa Maya or Cozumel if you take normal precautions. 

Costa Maya “syndicates” have me concerned presently and I am not keen on overall “vibe” compared to pre-Covid. I sense local unrest but not particularly a safety concern for visitors. 

Personally I wouldn’t bother renting a golf cart other than for the pleasure, or excitement of driving the cart. There is no where to actually go in the cart other than to the malecon and then you have to drive along the road one block in from ocean. Be careful where you park and added fees. That said, taxis have increased their fares and are now $4pp each way which is ridiculous for the distance,  so economics may depend on size of your group.  Personally I would take a taxi to the lighthouse and Mahahual photo sign and walk length of Malecon if I wanted  to explore. It is perfectly safe although there may be a barrage of vendors. Take a taxi back from the other end of malecon or when you have had enough cut back one street from the ocean to pick up a taxi.Be sure to have the name of a reputable place in mind if you want to stop to eat and drink.

Native Choice is a tour operator with long standing reputation if you want to travel further afield.

Cozumel has lots more options but you need to ask on appropriate port of call board.

We were pleased with the Native Choice Chocchoben Ruins Tour.  Very professional and much cheaper than the ship tour.  

Costa Maya is pretty safe from what I have seen and we have been there 5 or 6 times.

Edited by clackey
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cozumel and Costa Maya are very safe. Maybe not true Mexico but good tourist traps that let you pretend you are in Mexico.

I would not rent a golf cart. Please do not for many reasons.  Definitely, not safe.  Take a $4 taxi. 

We've been to CM about 10 times or so and have always went on our own to wherever we wanted to go for the day. Never had a problem. Always be aware of your surroundings as you would anywhere but I feel like it's a perfectly safe port. Not many adventure too far from the cruise port...over to the Malecon for a beach day or book a day at Maya Chan or Almaplena. 

I wouldn't bother with a golf cart. The only place you would really drive it to would be the Malecon and you are not allowed to drive on the Malecon itself, which is where you'd want to be if walking to see all the places up and down there. 

Here's a list of the places we've been to.