TxTeach79's LIVE Regal return to Princess Solo Thanksgiving - 11/19/23

TxTeach79

29 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

Although I really wonder if the 48 guests who bookmarked the Costa Maya talk know we swapped that out for Belize a couple months ago…

IMG_9860.thumb.png.a89d4a60dd4187169619d343880b2ce2.png

I'd be wondering if Destination Expert Debra Shields knows it was swapped out - but who doesn't want to learn about a place that's not on their itinerary?🤔

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

So as far as port stops on this sailing, we originally had Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. About six weeks or so ago we got an email that due to operational changes, we'd be substituting Belize for Costa Maya. 

Screenshot2023-11-158_48_04AM.png.3e357026061fbd51065fa994356a3712.png

No skin off my teeth; I've been to all these ports before multiple times (Cozumel more times than I can count), so they're really secondary to me. If you've followed along with me before, you know that in the Caribbean, I generally like to take things easy, do a lot of floatin' and sippin'.... I also like to try and find at least one day to stay on board and have the ship and pool to myself if possible. Alaska and Europe are go go go and more about the ports, but not so here... which is partially why I love it so much. 

This time around, here are the plans: In Roatan we'll be docking at Mahogany Bay as any good Carnival Corp ship would, so I'm gonna take advantage of the free beach and area around the pier. I actually really dig that area a lot. I had a blast there on my solo Glory last March. While Harmony OTS and a Viking ship will also be in Roatan, it's just us and Pride at Mahogany Bay. And just like the last time I was there, we dock two hours before Pride so I'll be floating in the water watching her come in at close range just like last time - that was very cool (especially because I was gonna be on Pride two months later for our epic Europe journey). So I'm looking forward to ocean time, relaxing, and some food and drinks at one of the joints on the beach. 

I'm thinking Belize will be my day to stay onboard, sleep in, not wait in line for anything, and float in the pool all day. I'm not a huge fan of tendering (water shuttling, whatever they call it now, it's still tendering to me darnit) unless a place is worth it to me (Anywhere in Alaska, Half Moon Cay, Grand Cayman), and I'm not a huge walk around Belize City guy. The best time I ever had in Belize was years ago on the old Sun Princess when I took an excursion to Bannister Caye (apparently they also call it Starfish Island). That was a beautiful day, but I didn't see anything like that offered and was already looking for a reason to stay on board. Ships anchored alongside us that day: Carnival Pride and Viking Mars.

Meanwhile, in Cozumel I'm going back to my roots and booked a day pass at the El Cid La Ceiba, about a 10 minute walk from Puerta Maya. https://www.elcid.com/cozumel/el-cid-la-ceiba-beach-hotel/ When I was a kid growing up, before we started cruising my parents big vacation was always to Cozumel. They were huge divers, and loved Palancar Reef. They dragged me along a couple times and while it was an utterly different island, I have incredibly fond memories of those trips... I say this because La Ceiba was one of the places we stayed, and one of my Dad's big dive hotels. I remember when they wanted to go nice (i.e., without me, the kid) they'd stay at El Presidente around the island. But on this part, it was always La Ceiba until the nicer Sol Caribe (Now Park Royal I think?) opened. I remember waking up, looking out the window, and seeing the old X (then Chandris) and thinking how amazing it was. And then, one day in '87, we saw the original Jubilee and it absolutely blew our minds. How could anything be that huge and float?!? One year later we'd book the Celebration and the rest is history...... anyway, La Ceiba isn't the newest or nicest resort, but I got an all day all inclusive pass for $65, the views are great, it's unlimited food and drinks, I have a sentimental attachment to the joint, it's a reasonable walk from the pier, and I have two pools and the ocean nearby. What more does a guy need??? Ships with us in the always busy Coz that day: Carnival Pride (the whole cruise!), MSC Seashore, Harmony OTS, Norwegian Jade, Celebrity Ascent. 

• Like 20

13 hours ago, TxTeach79 said:

Just put in a very minimum offensively tiny bid for a Premium Deluxe (aft facing) balcony. Long shot? Absolutely. But hey, we're a few days away, maybe they'll take what they can get. Might as well throw a Hail Mary. 

origin.gif

Thank you for not using "Hail Flutie" for this!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I posted this elsewhere, but to re-stress just how much I'm looking forward to all this..... the 8th grade bathrooms have backed up and sewage is coming up through the drain. They're closed off with warning tape, the whole hallway stinks, and we're waiting on a plumbing team. Meanwhile, unruly 7th grade boys have overflowed a urinal for giggles in that bathroom, so we're running low and on red alert, people..... #twoandahalfdays

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, edspec said:

Too bad everyone can’t go home early, hazardous environment and all that. 

Boyyy, it's been a year of hazardous environments around here. We gotta plug away and fight through it. #twoandahalfdays

• Like 8

Okay, looks like we have a change of plans. Completely disregard my earlier post about the putt putt burned down motel.... we've shifted gears! I was doing some last minute poking and found out that the same La Quinta I stayed at before my Dream cruise in July (that allows you to leave your car there for free) has plummeted down to 89/nt on Saturday! I enjoyed it and it worked out well for me last time, so I canceled the Inn at the Waterpark and I'm back to the La Quinta, which in this case is Spanish for "Golden Corral next door."

All in all a savings of about $40 and a known commodity that works for me, so I'm in. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 11

17 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I'd be wondering if Destination Expert Debra Shields knows it was swapped out - but who doesn't want to learn about a place that's not on their itinerary?🤔

I think I want that to be my next job. "Destination Expert"

All I have to do is present a slide show, right?

• Haha 6

On 11/14/2023 at 12:37 PM, TxTeach79 said:

Every time I’ve tried to make specialty dining reservations in advance it’s failed. It makes me nervous my card info in there is wrong or something. Anyone had this issue?

IMG_9835.thumb.png.bf5a4b87fe0e9c364eedc90a61ceab66.png

I had lots of issues making dinner reservations for our upcoming Regal cruise, the princess app is notoriously terrible. But I was able to get mine sorted out by going on the princess live chat and having the agent book what I wanted for me

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bethfelk said:

Looking forward to your report! I enjoyed reading your Carnival reports as well, I'm usually just a lurker and not a commenter on here but we are on the Regal next month as well so I thought I'll be more active on this one

Awesome! Thanks for following and chiming in!!! I appreciate ya!

32 minutes ago, bethfelk said:

I had lots of issues making dinner reservations for our upcoming Regal cruise, the princess app is notoriously terrible. But I was able to get mine sorted out by going on the princess live chat and having the agent book what I wanted for me

Oooh smart. I may try that! Gracias!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bethfelk said:

Whoa!! You did it!! This totally just worked!!! If we're ever on a cruise together, I owe ya a drink!! Went ahead and locked up Crown Grill for Belize night because it's tight already. Sabatini's is wide open and I have a chunk of OBC, so I'll book that sometime onboard. Thanks again. @bethfelk!!!

• Like 8

Chatted with John Paul who got my Crown Grill ressie locked in. It charged my card on file. 

IMG_9915.thumb.jpeg.f5ff8f98bc8b1c40f771b34d3d3acc15.jpeg

after he thanked me for being Platinum he said he could see I didn’t have any packages and would I like to add one. I told him I should def have Plus, I’d paid for it, and he said oops, he could definitely see that I had plus. Then he tried to sell me Premier. 

This chat feature is a really cool thing. Came in super handy here. 

• Like 15