Volcano in Iceland

scubacruiserx2

Iceland is on high alert for a possible volcanic eruption near the Blue Lagoon . The town of Grindarvik had to be evacuated and over 800 earth quakes recorded since Midnight . Story here 

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iceland-officials-say-high-volcanic-eruption-possibility-hundreds-earthquakes-hit-region?intcmp=fb_fnc&fbclid=IwAR0H1b5MmrMhUIaHfNmJ1_iI1hySU5J63W-tuaM9anVmAMmqpCFKFsx2HUY

We hope and pray for the people there and hope that our trip on the NCL Star there isn't on ice .

💗

Edited by scubacruiserx2

This has been in the news for several days. The last time there was a big eruption in Iceland, it shutdown air travel all over Europe because of the ash cloud. Specific airports and routes were closed. And planes and crews were not in the right locations so it had ripple effects on other flights. 

• Like 1

From what I've read during this week or so: They doubt the eventual eruption will have anywhere near the effects on air trafic that the one some years ago had. Or even any effect at all.
The effects on the ground from the earthquakes (and possible lava flow) though is, and will continue to be huge. My thoughts are with the evacuated people that may never be able to return to their homes.

• Like 1

Hubby and I took our dream Iceland trip this past July.  We did an 11-day self-drive tour of the country.  It was amazingly beautiful and everything we thought it would be and more.  I'm so glad we went when we did because I would be nervous about taking the same trip now.  I watched some video of the damage in Grindarvik and couldn't believe my eyes.  That was one of the places we went to on our trip.  It's devastating how many people are displaced and had no time to gather many of their belongings.

• Like 2

I have a connecting flight in 16 days through Iceland. I’ve been watching this carefully for days. I’m glad I have travel insurance that will cover me if I need to book a new flight. More importantly I’m glad people in Iceland are safe and hope they continue to be so.

• Like 1

You should be fine. The last 3 eruptions have had localized impacts. Because of its location they seem to be expecting a similar situation. We were there this summer during the most recent eruption. That was slightly east and north of the current situation. We saw some smoke from the eruption as we drove to the airport but it had zero effects on flights.

One of our guides said the type of eruptions they have had recently don’t tend to cause travel disruptions because they don’t cause ash plumes.

The 2010 eruption caused air travel disruptions because it erupted underneath a glacier that cause a lot of ash to be ejected. That one was called Eyjafjallajökull.

I hope this helps reassure you a bit. For others, the cruise port is well away from the affected area.

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This has been in the news for several days. The last time there was a big eruption in Iceland, it shutdown air travel all over Europe because of the ash cloud. Specific airports and routes were closed. And planes and crews were not in the right locations so it had ripple effects on other flights. 

2yrs ago i debarked at Reykjavik while the volcano was spewing lava. 

I was staying for a few days and planned to do a  volcano tour to watch the lava live. (Will be like 800' away according to the ad.)

I tried to book the tour 2 days after I debarked but was told it stopped spewing lava the day before. :(

I could still do it if I wanted but I declined