How to get drink upon arrival

barriechris

3 hours ago, barriechris said:

Newbie question.  We signed up for cheers but i know your room keys get delivered to your room.  How do you get a drink while waiting for the cards or can you?

Board ship, walk to bar right in front of you, show boarding pass, order drink, enjoy!

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

This. Plus, you will be limited in getting drinks until you've completed the muster.

I don't think that's correct, unless is relatively new?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

This. Plus, you will be limited in getting drinks until you've completed the muster.

It used to be you could get 2 drinks before muster. In October, we could only get 1 before muster. So…go muster!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, momin05 said:

It used to be you could get 2 drinks before muster. In October, we could only get 1 before muster. So…go muster!

I've always found this funny as h-e-double hockey sticks...

It's a sure-fire way to enforce the Muster ( Go Muster ! ) for the majority of cruisers...   🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I've always found this funny as h-e-double hockey sticks...

It's a sure-fire way to enforce the Muster ( Go Muster ! ) for the majority of cruisers...   🤣

It is a great motivation for some, yes ! Besides, the new muster method is the best thing to happen because of covid. So much better than being herded outside in a giant noisy group of people not paying attention imho 😉 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

It is a great motivation for some, yes ! Besides, the new muster method is the best thing to happen because of covid. So much better than being herded outside in a giant noisy group of people not paying attention imho 😉 

I know a lot of people think it's great but I do wonder how it will affect a real emergency. Not because of the passengers but because the crew isn't receiving the same level of training that they used to receive. 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I know a lot of people think it's great but I do wonder how it will affect a real emergency. Not because of the passengers but because the crew isn't receiving the same level of training that they used to receive. 

Crew still does emergency training. If you stay on ship during port days, you'll hear the announcements and see some of the drills. Not a cruise we're on that we don't see emergency training. Plus they get training at the start of each contract.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Crew still does emergency training. If you stay on ship during port days, you'll hear the announcements and see some of the drills. Not a cruise we're on that we don't see emergency training. Plus they get training at the start of each contract.

Yes, I am well aware of that. I'm referring to actually being able to work with a massive crowd of passengers week after week and getting them to cooperate. That real hands on experience is hard to simulate. During an emergency if muster needs to be done they'll know what to do, but they'll have to learn how in the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

A year ago we completed muster AND had drink ordering ability paused at sailaway. 

If you are talking about the emergency briefing over the intercom (the one with the loud horn blasts), everyone's drink service is suspended during that time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

A year ago we completed muster AND had drink ordering ability paused at sailaway. 

Had to re-do muster to activate dranks.  Surely an error but why fight city hall? 

errors do happen.  we had a man overboard scare on a recent sailing (turned out to be a false alarm) but the ship had to 100% muster everyone.  So, my wife and I went to our Station and scanned our cards and then went to a bar to await them resuming drink service (two hours of no service).  Toward the end of the muster they started calling individual names of who hadn't mustered, and my name was called, so I went to the nearest person holding an iPad and scanned again.

On 11/19/2023 at 2:53 AM, sparks1093 said:

they still get plenty of training.  I would be more concerned with your fellow passengers.  We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise and had a fire alarm in the middle of the night.  We woke up and looked out the cabin door and everyone else was just looking around not sure what to do.  We got dressed and headed out to our muster station.  On the way down the hall a lady was having a complete meltdown and freaking out and screaming.  Her traveling party was dragging her out of the room and then carrying her by her arms and legs down the hallway and stairs.  Had another group with the mother totally freaking out and practically dragging her daughter (probably 7-9 years old) down the stairs.  Then the stair case backed up with people and she started yelling and her daughter was freaking out.  Was complete pandemonium all for a false alarm.  Just add a little smoke to the hallway and it would have turned into Mad Max.  When we got to our station there was only 1 family (2 parent and 2 pre-teens) who were there with their life vests.  Everyone else forgot their life vests, even us.

1 hour ago, bstel said:

they still get plenty of training.  I would be more concerned with your fellow passengers.  We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise and had a fire alarm in the middle of the night.  We woke up and looked out the cabin door and everyone else was just looking around not sure what to do.  We got dressed and headed out to our muster station.  On the way down the hall a lady was having a complete meltdown and freaking out and screaming.  Her traveling party was dragging her out of the room and then carrying her by her arms and legs down the hallway and stairs.  Had another group with the mother totally freaking out and practically dragging her daughter (probably 7-9 years old) down the stairs.  Then the stair case backed up with people and she started yelling and her daughter was freaking out.  Was complete pandemonium all for a false alarm.  Just add a little smoke to the hallway and it would have turned into Mad Max.  When we got to our station there was only 1 family (2 parent and 2 pre-teens) who were there with their life vests.  Everyone else forgot their life vests, even us.

Yes, the passengers are going to be a problem and with the crew not working with all of the passengers all at once their training isn't going to be as comprehensive as it could be. The crew needs to know how to handle hundreds of people all trying to find their way and while some of that can be taught in a classroom setting the best experience is actual experience. Your tales only re-enforce my point.