Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

Last night this showed up in the room.   Kelly Ann failure.   I guess the previous guest in our room had it removed.   I had our butler take it back to storage.   It takes up far too much space and you hit your shin on it often. 

IMG_0913.thumb.jpeg.94ff4e348e007b64285fd29aa463bac5.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4
  • Haha 8

12 hours ago, chemmo said:

You can understand and forgive the odd shortage but it seems to be becoming the norm…

The World Cruise has been plagued by shortages for the complete cruise due to many reasons but doesn't seem to be improving.   Hopefully it will improve.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, darsura said:

“Continued outages of many of the wines on the Premium Package is apparent every evening.”

We had the same experience on the Edge in July.  

We were on the first 2 legs and didn’t have an issue getting wines on the premium package until 2 days before that ship arrived in Singapore. 

• Like 2

First time - SENDING NEGATIVE ATTENTION TO DETAIL FORM  to Hotel Manager.

As many of you know I'm not a winner by nature but for the first time in 23 years I felt compelled to send Mahai, Hotel Manager a letter.

Why a letter ?    The Attention to Detail Electronic Form in the daily -  Is Dead.   First attention to detail.

I have a very minor issue that began a month ago.

To insure we had reservations in Eden for my birthday I booked in advance and paid with OBC.  After I purchased I wrote the Shore-side Concierge and asked her to have my 25% Zenith Applied for our reservation and combine the two reservations into 1 for 8PM.  She responded immediately she couldn't do it on land and sent the request to the ship.

On day 1 I checked with Rolando and he confirmed the reservations had been combined but basically told me to go do to talk with the Maitre 'd.

I brought the issue to JoJo - Retreat Manager  attention.   She appologized and said she would take care of it.   The issue was when I purchased on - line they had a 10% discount and could not stack.   I said Fine -  Cancel and refund my OBC and then rebook with the 25% applied.  She agreed and said would take care of it.

Next day no credit -  I then talked to Danny -  He assured me it would be taken care of.   

After 5 days still not credit.    Eden had however Canceled my PPD (no Credit) Charged me $240 for all 4 of us and then reversed that -  Still no $30 credit.   By this time it has become a principle issue and the dollar amount isn't of significance. 

Stay tuned. 

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We were on the first 2 legs and didn’t have an issue getting wines on the premium package until 2 days before that ship arrived in Singapore. 

Surprised to hear -  wonder if it was your selections and type of wine- 

On the FB forum there are many complaints for everything from Budweiser to Selection of Chardonnay.   Right now about all they have is rock gut Elegance that in California we buy in 5 liter boxes and Le Crema 

Not sure if you even know but did they have the Brown Raw Sugar?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hcat said:

Photos are exceptional! Thanks for sharing your wonderful gift with us !

Not sure if I ever asked:  have you ever submitted to the National Geographic or other competitions ?  Some  of the work you posted above could win in several catogories.

My husband is an  excellent photographer   but lost interest once digital took hold.. I hope he will get back to it as our grandsons show an interest.

No -- I just shoot photos for my enjoyment and just consider them average to the Exception Photography of  those from NG and other publications

I probably shoot 50 for every one that isn't tossed in the trash.   Shoot enough and anyone is bound to get lucky with an unexpected treat. 

Robert commented on this one.  I never noticed he had his hand down his pants.  LOL. 😂. Actually I never noticed either. 

IMG_0868.thumb.jpeg.b4661db2f4b5635630eee61a7256a07a.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, colourbird said:

This must have been a nightmare for the Pacific Adventure which was supposed to sail to New Zealand but ended up heading to Tasmania with all the extra sea days and not being in the expected ports where additional supplies would have been arranged. Not sure what happens if all the fresh fruit, eggs, meat and drinks are waiting in Wellington but the ship is in Hobart.

Indeed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Last night this showed up in the room.   Kelly Ann failure.   I guess the previous guest in our room had it removed.   I had our butler take it back to storage.   It takes up far too much space and you hit your shin on it often. 

IMG_0913.thumb.jpeg.94ff4e348e007b64285fd29aa463bac5.jpeg

Not to mention a chair like that is the worst thing to sit on if you have a bad back.  

• Like 2

Resolution

30 minutes after I dropped of the form.  By the way the don’t have a Attention to Detail form so gave me a blank piece of paper

We went to Retreat for our light breakfast.  Danny came over and apologized and said credit had been applied. 

• Like 15

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Surprised to hear -  wonder if it was your selections and type of wine- 

On the FB forum there are many complaints for everything from Budweiser to Selection of Chardonnay.   Right now about all they have is rock gut Elegance that in California we buy in 5 liter boxes and Le Crema 

Not sure if you even know but did they have the Brown Raw Sugar?

For us it was a much bigger issue.  We had been quietly tipped off the first day of the second leg that 4-6 pallets had not been loaded in Dubai and stuff would start running out soon.

First thing to go was the Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, next was the Decoy cab. One of the Luminae sommeliers would wave and say "last bottle" as they went.  The next day both the Hasinger (sp) and Montadon champagnes were gone.  I also heard of Pinot Grigio and some Rose's going dry.

They tried to field replacements, though they weren't to our liking.  We expressed our disappointment at the situation and that our options were to drink the wine we didn't like or pay ~$80 a bottle for wine that isn't much better than what would have been included in the Premium package.   Our concerns were escalated and we had nice conversations with the Cellar Master.

He indicated all alcohol sourcing occurs via Miami and they ship to home ports for loading.  He said India was a nonstarter due to customs.  He said they ended up getting a little bit in Sri Lanka (mostly beer).  I will say after that it got better, champagne and French sparkling reappeared (a different label) and the Rebellious red blend was also decent.  I will say that I was quite pleased how they handled us.

Edited by BOB999
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Resolution

30 minutes after I dropped of the form.  By the way the don’t have a Attention to Detail form so gave me a blank piece of paper

We went to Retreat for our light breakfast.  Danny came over and apologized and said credit had been applied. 

Glad to hear the issues have been resolved.  It really is important to bring these matters up at the time.

I have a favour to ask.   Do you know if they have Clarins and Clinique skin care and cosmetics for sale in the shop?  Trying to work out what to spend my OBC on!

Enjoy the day.

• Like 1

Well I  need to take it easy today -  Been feeling light headed and sent my doctor a message overnight.   He said sounds like I am dehydrated from the hot Singapore and Indonesian heat and humidity and have the ships doctor check it out.   I guess when you live in a place where the temperatures run 65-80 F and mild humidity my body was not use the the equator temps and humidity.

The ships doc confirmed and told me to stop my BP med for a couple days.  By sweating I had lost Sodium and Potassium so and had dropped my BP too low.  Orders  -  Drink Electrolyte enhanced drinks - eg Vitamin Water, eat lots of fruit with high water content for slow absorption  and don't do any exercise or long walking for a couple days.  He also gave me some magnesium / potassium vitamin tablets.  

I should have known better.   When I was working in Singapore I got really dehydrated and needed IV Fluids and then had to take salt tablets.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 14

11 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We are 10 days into a repositioning cruise on Seabourn Ovation transatlantic.    We have run out of fresh berries, bananas and fresh orange juice.   We provisioned in Lisbon and had seven days continuous at sea.    Fortunately no shortage of premium wines and liquors.   I don’t understand Celebrity’s supply problems in Asia with major ports almost every day.   Our first port in the Caribbean is Terre de Haut, Guadeloupe.   It’s a small island without cars, only golf carts and scooters so I doubt we will get supplies here.

Wishing you a happy belated birthday and a great cruise.

I have to agree.   Especially originating this segment in Singapore -  One of the largest sea ports in the world -  it isn't supply chain issues it is Celebrity Supply Chain Issues.     I can tell you we could find almost any wine while in Singapore.    

It appears that many of the wines did come aboard but haven't made it's way from the Galley to the dining rooms.   Come on Celebrity,  Day 6 and you are still using that line.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

I totally agree with hcat, your pictures and your instinct for capturing natural, yet beautiful images are exceptional! 

Thank-you so much for bringing us with you on your discoveries!

You guys are flattering me.   By the way Flattery means bestowing undeserved praise.  

e.g.   Seeing an Ugly Baby and saying to the mother   " She is so quite,  she looks just like you"   Of course Mom is carline.

Edited by Jim_Iain

9 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I was on Summit in March and martinis listed in the menu at the martini bar some they couldn't make due to not having ingredients but this was sailing out of Miami (good news I did get more adventurous with trying new ones and now know which to avoid in future 🙃 )

After trying 3-4 I'm sure no one cares What's in them... 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

I've taken to availing myself of the X byo policy, just to ensure I've decent wine for those 2-3 special meals each cruise.

OK @Whinenowine  you have me curious.    What is X Byo Policy.  Even my neighbor and best Friend Mr Google has failed me.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The ships doc confirmed and told me to stop my BP med for a couple days.  By sweating I had lost Sodium and Potassium so and had dropped my BP too low.  Orders  -  Drink Electrolyte enhanced drinks - eg Vitamin Water, eat lots of fruit with high water content for slow absorption  and don't do any exercise or long walking for a couple days.  He also gave me some magnesium / potassium vitamin tablets.  

I should have known better.   When I was working in Singapore I got really dehydrated and needed IV Fluids and then had to take salt tablets.

Hope you feel better soon Jim! No Vitamin water or Gatorade on the Apex TA and they ran out of several of the premium wines so this seems to be a shipwide problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Redking said:

This is really interesting Jim. We had major supply issues on the Eclipse back in January. At the time, I thought Celebrity had completely mismanaged their supply chain over in this part of the world- too reliant on central purchasing out of the US without fully considering how to effectively transport to the other side of the world. Sounds like they struggle to get it right outside of their main markets  around the US and Europe.

Hard to have a Negroni without any Campari 😱. First 🌏 problems.

Belated happy birthday and hope the supply issues don't impact you too much.

I know that they can do local supply at time.   When we were on our New Englad cruise I was sitting next to the FB Manager and he said -   I have a surprising coming up on Last Chic Night.  I was able to source a half ton of Nova Scotia Lobster tails for our final Chic Night.     They were indeed tender and flavorful vs the normal Caribbean lobster. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well I  need to take it easy today -  Been feeling light headed and sent my doctor a message overnight.   He said sounds like I am dehydrated from the hot Singapore and Indonesian heat and humidity and have the ships doctor check it out.   I guess when you live in a place where the temperatures run 65-80 F and mild humidity my body was not use the the equator temps and humidity.

Hope you feel better soon.. Take care!! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You guys are flattering me.   By the way Flattery means bestowing undeserved praise.  

e.g.   Seeing an Ugly Baby and saying to the mother   " She is so quite,  she looks just like you"   Of course Mom is carline.

Not flattery...just complimenting you ..Well deserved. You are very modest about your  photography.. you have the eye for a great shot and the skill to make it work.

Hope you are feeling better...hydrate !

• Like 4