Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

7 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

We sailed our first part of our b2b in a concierge infinity balcony. No issues of big characters.

We ate 14 dinners in MDR. No problems we didn't handle, we rotated around as we wanted. We decided around noon where to book a table for dinner every evening on the app. We eat late, so always tables for booking 20.30 or 20.45. Never a problem, they were always waiting us and things worked out. 

Our housekeeping staff first part, deck 12 did an excellent job and everything was spotless and cleaned to our needs. We had no big issues at all for this partition of the cruise. Only thing was my Captains Club status missing. (I did tackle it, and it did not ruin my holiday.... I waited in line for 45.min for captains club and new 20.min+ at guest relation to reprint my card) 

But if you have read my live, you know we did not meet our housekeeper, retreat team until we went on a hunt for them after our move in Dubai to the SS and retreat. Our stateroom (suite) was not clean on arrival. It was stains and a dental stick brush left in the floor in the bathroom. 

What we have made criticism off is the lack of the attention to detail and overall service of a SS produkt that is not as described.  

For both legs of our b2b we have visited Oceanview, we had breakfast, snack or lunch and it has always been available tables if you go all the way aft. We had never problem finding a table out on the terrace or aft of the buffet. 

We ate dinner in the buffet in Phuket. It was on Thanksgiving. They had lots of choices and a big turkey station celebration of thanksgiving. And we ate in the prime rush in Phuket, not impossible to find a table. Again, aft of the buffet..... 

It sounds like you really had a bad experience. We did not in many ways. This was in our eyes a great itinerary and a really good cruise on most parameters. 

What governmental decisions taken in Greece, India, UAE and Singapore, we can't control nor the ship or X. They just have to follow their instructions. 

We waited in Athens as everyone, we did our immigration inspection in the morning in UAE due to private tour and was lucky compared to others on a ship tour. In Mumbai and Cochin we had luck on timing. So we didn't have the worst case scenario. But it was just pure luck. 

When we checked out of the ship in Singapore, we left early, so we didn't have a too long line to pass immigration. But again, this was not due to The Retreat. We were ready to leave the ship. 

But what we criticism is the miss match of what a SS is market as and what the actual produkt given. 

Remember, I dont sail in suites, The Retreat on a regular basis. 

This was the first experience in The Retreat. I have 19 other X cruises in regular balcony, AQ and CON mix. So this is what I am comparing my SS experince too. 

But we can't in any ways call this the worst cruise we have taken!

I did read your full Live.    I do agree with you assessments.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, awhfy said:

Celebrity bring your own wine one 750ml bottle each allowed

we always bring our own Gatorade-type packets, just add water. I’ve had heat/humidity issues & they aren’t fun!! 

I will have to add Gatorade Packets to my Medical Supply.    I have Thera Flu Day and Night and a full array of most complications.    I forgot Mosquito Spray and was bitten often in Singapore. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

Jim, I hope you are soon feeling better. You have had a hectic time even without taking on board the climate change.

I must confess to feeling really annoyed for Iain about the wine…Excuses that things are not available when they are on board is not acceptable and as for trying to charge you….well!!!

I remember sommelier service in Luminae being really slow one cruise and after our wine not arriving two nights running until our starters were nearly finished my late husband saying politely to the waiter “If our starter arrives and our wine hasn’t we will be sending it back…”. He said it pleasantly but firmly and when our starters arrived and we still had empty glasses he asked the waiter not to serve it. Our waiter was flustered and talked to the M’D who chased the sommelier….After that wine service did improve…

Perhaps next visit to Luminae you order the wine you want and refuse to accept your meals until it is provided!

Good news.   They how have is wine -  They are bending over backward now to please.

IMG_1040.thumb.jpeg.e6dd010a133e193f25353f316fff10e3.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@Jim_Iain  Thank you for posting the new menu's.  I see some favorites as well as some new things.  I have lost track of your meals and wanted to know if you had tried out the new Daniel Boulud menu yet, expecially the dessert?  

I haven't -   I've heard a number of negative comments.     Robert tried the Chocolate Pill and said it wasn't good and would never order it again.  

The Chef promised me that he would make be a Raspberry/Pistachio Vacherin for the last night.    He doesn't have the powder as that is supplied by Daniel B and he can't make it to look like his but will do a deconstructed one due to copyright and contractual issues.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

Unfortunately even if she was in a SS her experience would not be anywhere close to what most experience in a SS.  

I doubt her Retreat Host would tell her they could only deliver 2 bottles of water a day and for other beverages she can stock them from the lounge.  

Should she the Host ask about an afternoon cheese plate I doubt she would be directed to call Room Service. 

For a problem with her onboard account would she be directed  to stand in line to speak with a Concierge in the Lounge.

When the bar setup she purchased doesn’t show up would her Host tell her “ I asked about that and they can’t find a order, try the Concierge.

Would she only see the Head Butler once, on embarkation day. 

IMO, to get the real experience a couple of unrecognizable members of the staff need to be in Sky Suites and not in any way associated with her or her entourage. 

I think the problem is that Celebrity has not done a good job of education.  David and Robert have often said that they wouldn't have know about many of the things at their disposal had we not been with them.

Examples:   The every day menu items, the children's menu.   Our first waiter never even mentioned them but our current one also goes down the full list -   Celebrity should post it like in the MDR.

The Butler Team -   Anu explained it very well -

They have a Butler for the SS's but his job is more like a Retreat Host or a Concierge in a Hotel.    You press your butler button and he answers.   You tell him what you would like and he makes sure it happens.   Eg.    Fruit Bowl every day,  Cheese Platter at 6 PM,  Want something from Room Service just call him.   

He also said that he found as a butler, when they would leave the appetizers every evening 80% were never consumed and just went into the garbage.  

He did drop off some nuts last night even though I don't like things left in the room.   I of course at half the big bowl before dinner last night.   Opps I just took a big hand full.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Jim,

A tip for you regarding Anu.  He collects refrigerator magnets for his children so when he gets home he can share all of the places that he has been. Often he is not able to get off the ship.  We bought magnets for him in port and gave them to him as a gift. He was so appreciative of that.  Trish

Thanks Trish.   I will definitely pick some up.   

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Jim, I will be interested to hear what you think of the new chocolate pill.  I finally remembered to try it.  It was good, but not anywhere near as good as the raspberry vacheron.  We did not eat in Luminae every night, so did not see some of the new menus.  

I haven't tried it.   Maybe I will order an extra one in addition to my desert and give it a try.

28 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

When we sailed Apex in Dec 22 as our Edge Class shake down cruise, we enjoyed our MC SS verandah with 2 sitting chairs and 2 lounge chairs.  This worked well for us and we look forward to the same cabin and location on the Edge in the spring.  That is, without all of the amenities that were included when we booked the cruise.  Could someone onboard now tell us if there are still 2 lounge chairs on the MC suite verandahs?  We have heard differing reports. The Hoppin upright chairs are not very comfortable to sit in, and we loved the loungers.

Jim, I hope you have an opportunity to speak with LBH and that she takes your comments to heart.  We were shocked to learn that on the Reflection some room stewards/retreat hosts service up to 22 cabins.  I give these folks credit for being able to be so gracious to the passengers while working so hard.

I expect but don't know for sure whether she will be at the Zenith Lunch or Lunches.    I understand on previous cruise.  There were so many Zeniths they had to break it up to 3-4 individual lunches. 

I expect there will be fewer on the final leg.   So many I know are abandoning us in Sydney.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whewwww..  Finally got caught up reading all the posts.  

Now on with the Show.   I am so behind.    Just finished post-production processing of my photos.

Moving back to our our Second Day in Benoa, Indonesia

Our favorite Bar Tender on Ponant took us out for a day of exploration.  

We were up early and had room service for Breakfast.   I wanted my regular so asked Anu to get me my Berry Greek Yogurt Parfait, Fresh Berries and Almond Croissants.     Off menu from the Retreat.   He was happy they we finally asked him to do something for us.

We met Mertha at 8:00 AM --  You can only imaging how pleased Iain was to be drug out of bed at 6:30 AM. 

IMG_0917.thumb.jpeg.fd30f9c4a64c931d1daf3ffad35ca0b8.jpeg

We really appreciated Mertha volunteering to take us around beautiful Benoa but didn't want to impose on him too much.   

We told him we would like to be back to the ship by 1:00 PM (so Iain could get a nap -   oops I didn't say that!)

We told him we wanted to do something close to the port and then take he and his driver for lunch in a place that he would go --- not a tourist trap. 

We agreed on GWK - which we found later was the #1 attraction of Bali and to the port.

IMG_0981.thumb.jpeg.3c1584b7faeefe7998d3a181cb2ebaed.jpeg

GWK Cultural Park is home to some of the most iconic cultural landmarks in Bali, including the magnificent Garuda Wisnu Kencana statue, which stands tall at 121 meters (400 Feet) and is a representation of the Hindu god Vishnu and his mount, the Garuda bird.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 12

We arrived too Early so had to wait 30 minutes for GWK to open, which gave us a good opportunity to catch up.   

It was fun to learn that Mertha had never been himself.   He admitted like many things we never take the time to explore the treasure's in our own backyard.  

IMG_0922.thumb.jpeg.ce39c6a241acdce1f995ab8994403fb7.jpeg

IMG_0920.thumb.jpeg.018a56770091aba81cdf34c1834ddb17.jpeg

IMG_0921.thumb.jpeg.fd02ea823f713819285929174b1c3a9e.jpeg

IMG_0923.thumb.jpeg.32602f23b0d12d7ba565799ae69c0cf2.jpeg

IMG_0925.thumb.jpeg.58dcffdf90a8205e3d4343504adb9fc3.jpeg

IMG_0924.thumb.jpeg.4ed60a6b1944c0d38f3dd5883f222ad0.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to say that after a rough start in Luminae that they have taken a 360  and with the exception of the wine issue have a waiter and assistant waiter that are impeccable.   Iain and David's wine glass has not gone dry and the full staff is incredible.

Jim--I'm no engineer, but...wouldn't a 360 take you right back to where you started (as opposed to a 180).  Sorry I just couldn't resist!  😇

If you don't mind my asking, who's been taking care of you in Luminae? We had Dewa and William back in August and they were great.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Still wasting some time I was clicking away. 

There are Turtle Icon's every where and found that Kura Kura—meaning 'turtle' in Bahasa Indonesia, was inspired by old Balinese folklore where it was believed the Island of Bali lay on top of a turtle's back.

IMG_0931.thumb.jpeg.08b60835ba4071fd3a47cb94e8bac2ed.jpeg

IMG_0932.thumb.jpeg.2421ba28cedcc3800f37ac9b24ed3aff.jpeg

Got a chuckle out of the expression on the Female turtle - can you get on with it and the Male with his rolled back eyes of bliss.

IMG_0934.thumb.jpeg.61172f66a602230f26ab80db77cd0b78.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 11

Promptly at 9am the park opened

IMG_0935.thumb.jpeg.ebfc79e7d468ef14f96923d8eb24e25e.jpeg

IMG_0936.thumb.jpeg.30e42f3d5d85b3798fdeabfb6d6a8c24.jpeg

Ananta Shesha

Also known as Sheshanaga or Adishesha, was one of the primal beings of creations.

Anaato Shesha is often depicted as a dragon wich thousands of heads adored with diamond crowns, which forming the bed of Lord Vishnu.
He is called as an eternal entity, which will remain when the entire universe is destroyed.

IMG_0939.thumb.jpeg.8f7b72d3626a83ca42269953f2231f6a.jpeg

• Like 11

IMG_0941.thumb.jpeg.83b49e34e3e4f25cb7b2dc47e9cb7dc9.jpeg

IMG_0941.thumb.jpeg.83b49e34e3e4f25cb7b2dc47e9cb7dc9.jpeg

The Kura-Kura Plaza is the first plaza that you come to. In Indonesian Kura-Kura means turtle. Here you will find a pond which has a fountains that represent turtles rising from the water.

IMG_0943.thumb.jpeg.72e5f45ecb93792f0c3cd6b5fe6d1d92.jpeg

IMG_0946.thumb.jpeg.6a14103d4eb2cc14b6f77a18c3fa733c.jpeg

IMG_0948.thumb.jpeg.17f834f37cd7d85efebfdf7b5567f562.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 17

I will have to add Gatorade Packets to my Medical Supply.    I have Thera Flu Day and Night and a full array of most complications.    I forgot Mosquito Spray and was bitten often in Singapore. 

They’re an easy add. Gatorade or Power Ade both come in single serving packages. I carry some in my purse & hubs carries a variety box in his backpack 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

I totally agree…

It concerns me at present that so many guests I ‘know’ from CC as reliable and truthful are posting less than good and no where near excellent experiences. 

I agree! I was worried enough about Celebrity that I booked some HAL cruises for 2024 and 2025,  to try another brand. Then the announcement about the mdr menu returning to normal gave me hope that management might be listening to us. But these recent complaints, coming from people on CC that I respect, has left me even more worried than I was!  I cancelled  move up bids off 2 upcoming cruises on the Ascent, figuring right now isn't the time to experience a suite for the first time. 

• Like 3

IMG_0956.thumb.jpeg.c4d6682746e6cfe796adee0bbabc8900.jpeg

PATUNG WISNU

Lord Vishnu, Lord of Preserver, is a deity figure who is believed to be the source of wisdom.
He is one of the manifestations of gods who is in charge to taking care the entire universe. Lord Vishnu possesses Tirta Amertha (eternal holy water) believed as the source of the fertility and prosperity.
Plaza Wisnu is the highest point in GWK Cultural Park where the God of Vishnu Statue rises to a height of 23 meters.
The entire sculpture material is made of copper and brass mixture .

• Like 8

There's a huge statue of Garuda Bird which is from mythologyy. The Garuda Bird has a body that is half bird and half man. Garuda is a symbol of freedom from every shackle and deprivation of human rights.

Mertha shared with us that part of Bali Tradition he plans on attempting to have a son.   It is part of passing on your name and to provide a son to take care of he and his wife when they grow old.    His parent's are currently are in his care. 

I was surprised to learn that they needed lots of help with mobility, and when asked his parents are in the mid-50'S.      He felt that the hard work and climate of Bali contribute to early aging.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_74bf-1024x768.thumb.jpg.74f012ada84dd4ca7a3d292d83c7179b.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 8

We could have take a cart up to the top of the mountain but decided to walk instead.    Being out in the hot sun and humidity did take a toll on me.    Luckily they had an air conditioned lobby underneath.

We sat at a table and talked for the better part of an hour.   I was starting to fill dizzy so knocked down two bottles of water. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

Trish -  I  have to agree.   He is incredible.     He is truly a gem. 

We were on the Constellation with him for 10 nights in November of 2021.  We had the PS and George had the adjoining SS.  He truly made the cruise very special!