Wellington shuttle bus stops

I am organising shore excursions for an extended family cruise to NZ in January. I am trying to check where the shuttle bus stops are in Wellington. The two sites shown on the internet aren't where the shuttle buses stopped in February this year when we were there last. Can anyone confirm where the shuttle buses stop?

36 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Generally 1st stop is Lambton Quay  near Whitmore st    2nd stop is in Wakefield stt next to a little park near Jervois Quay

Cheers Don   

(will be there on the 7th dec on the Grand)

On the internet it says the stops are at the Cnr of Lambton Quay & Brandon St (they mention near David Jones) with the other one at 111 Wakefield Street (at Cuba St) near the i Site (tourist info office). One internet site mentions that one of the two stops is near the Parliament Buildings. Presumably they mean the Brandon Street stop but it isn't really anywhere near Parliament.

When we were there in February there was one stop in the middle of the main shopping area (it could've been Brandon Street) and the other one was out past Te Papa. The bus went along Courtnay Place and turned left into probably Blair Street. There was a stop there beside a tiny park with lovely flowers. I got off there and walked to Te Papa. The bus then did a loop back along Wakefield.

Maybe this second stop has now been changed to Cuba Street (several blocks closer to the ship).

I might have to wait until after your 7th December cruise to find out if you will be kind enough to post the info. My son-in-law is meeting is 'favourite' aunt and I want to tell them where he and his family will be getting off the shuttle bus.

Edited by Aus Traveller

14 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

I second tge corner of Lambton and Brandon near DJ store.

Two ships had pick-up there when we were in AKL earlier this year

We were in NZ in February and that is where one stop was. I am pretty confident with that one, even though it isn't anywhere near the Parliament buildings. The other one is a puzzle.

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Generally 1st stop is Lambton Quay  near Whitmore st    2nd stop is in Wakefield stt next to a little park near Jervois Quay

Cheers Don   

(will be there on the 7th dec on the Grand)

I don't know if you have plans for your day in Wellington. We have been there many times so I would like to make a couple of suggestions. The obvious first one is Te Papa - superb. The other suggestion is less obvious - Parliament House. They have free tours that run multiple times a day when there is a cruise ship in port. On one visit we went there thinking it would be a but 'Ho hum' but what else was there to do. We loved it! Particularly the part when they show visitors how they earth-quake proof existing buildings.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't know if you have plans for your day in Wellington. We have been there many times so I would like to make a couple of suggestions. The obvious first one is Te Papa - superb. The other suggestion is less obvious - Parliament House. They have free tours that run multiple times a day when there is a cruise ship in port. On one visit we went there thinking it would be a but 'Ho hum' but what else was there to do. We loved it! Particularly the part when they show visitors how they earth-quake proof existing buildings.

I agree  I loved both your recommendations.

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It may very much depend on what's happening, ie roadworks or construction, at the time. Usually they try to have one near Te Papa and the Information Centre, and the other somewhere along Lambton Quay.

I think I walked last time.  I rode the Cable Car, admired the gardens and walked down through interesting graveyards.  Plus visited the not to be missed TE PAPA Museum and Parliament House.

Just now, MMDown Under said:

I think I walked last time.  I rode the Cable Car, admired the gardens and walked down through interesting graveyards.  Plus visited the not to be missed TE PAPA Museum and Parliament House.

You can't walk off the wharf now. There was some earthquake damage sometime between our first NZ cruise Dec 2015 and our second in Feb 2017. They moved the docking area further in and no longer allow walk-offs.

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You can't walk off the wharf now. There was some earthquake damage sometime between our first NZ cruise Dec 2015 and our second in Feb 2017. They moved the docking area further in and no longer allow walk-offs.

Thank you.  I cruised on Celebrity Century in 2011.  I'm glad my next booked cruise will be stopping at Wellington, as it was my favourite cruise ship port,  (I also did land tours which included Wellington.)  

thanks for the suggestions on where to go... this will be our 8th time in wellingtom

on one of the earlier trips, we headed back to the ship earlier, anyway the the bos driver wasn't on shift yet  so it gave us a senic tour out to near the airport and round with just us and 6 other people in a 40 seater coach, it took about 40 minutes to get back to the ship,  saw a lot it was very good

cheers Don

• Like 1