How does one contact Royal's IT support electronically?

Scottee25

Hard to search the forum for IT and support because so many false positive hits are made. So if this has been asked and answered, I apologize  but I was unable to find my answer.

I used a password manager called LastPass and about a few months ago, this application stopped working on Royal's website. Personally I believe it is an issue with LastPass but they have requested that I reach out to Royal's support and inquire as to whether or not Royal has configured their login page to disallow autocompletes. I did find a number for Technical Support (had to google for it) but I am hoping for an electronic form of contact. Does anyone know how I can reach their technical support electronically? I did reach out to them on Facebook and their response via messenger was that they could relay my question/concern but that IT did not communicate with users directly.

For the record, I have told LastPass that I believe the issue is on their end and that, as a software developer, I would never tell one of my paying customers to do the legwork and research to find out why the tool I wrote wasn't working correctly. However, I am trying to humor them so that once I have this escalated to management I have a track record of how they shouldn't be conducting support.

3 minutes ago, TheDawg79 said:

Your situation is not unique to you. It stopped auto filling for everyone about a month or so ago. You contacting their IT department is not going to do anything. 

I am only contacting their IT dept to show LastPass that I have done so. I still think this is an issue with LastPass's software and they should be the ones working with Royal's IT dept. I am just looking for the answer to the question, from Royal's IT; Is autocomplete disallowed on their login page. I personally do not expect Royal's IT to fix any of this for me.

3 minutes ago, GJustice said:

Autocomplete has been flakey for months on all my devices both the website and the app. 

Autocomplete works, just have to fiddle with it.

Autocomplete built into Chrome works for me. This would lead me to believe that autocomplete, as a whole, is not disallowed on the site. I am only trying to reach out to Royal's IT to satisfy the request from LastPass's support.

Martha Poulter is their CIO.  It's a bit of a stretch going to the top but that seems to be the only way with Royal.

Guessing at her email address: mpoulter@rccl.com 

Or contact the executive offices by email mbayley@rccl.com.  This address is monitored by a team of executive assistants that can forward emails to respective departments.  

Maybe this?? 

Customer Service Pre-Cruise: web_reservations@rccl.com

Cruise Planner: (Onboard Reservations) precruiseplanner@rccl.com (800) 398-9819

These are the only two I see related to the website at all... here is the "contacts list" 

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/13033980_Sales_Contact_List.pdf

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Even if you did get a response from IT, they'd just say that it's a limitation of your browser and/or LastPass, which it is.

Websites are under no obligation to make it easier for you to autopopulate login info.

Yep, fully understand and agree. I just want to come back to LastPass and say "I reached out to them. Now fix your own product."

2 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

I am only contacting their IT dept to show LastPass that I have done so. I still think this is an issue with LastPass's software and they should be the ones working with Royal's IT dept. I am just looking for the answer to the question, from Royal's IT; Is autocomplete disallowed on their login page. I personally do not expect Royal's IT to fix any of this for me.

I don't think it's LastPass's fault. It comes down to the way RC has their website coded. I use Bitwarden and it also doesn't fill for me like it does on 95% of other websites. I just copy the password now or use the password manager built into my browsers.

3 minutes ago, fizzywm said:

I don't think it's LastPass's fault. It comes down to the way RC has their website coded. I use Bitwarden and it also doesn't fill for me like it does on 95% of other websites. I just copy the password now or use the password manager built into my browsers.

And it very well may be the way Royal's site is coded. But that is for LastPass and Bitwarden to work out with Royal. Don't ask your paying customers to do that legwork for you 🙂 

Out of curiosity, how do you like Bitwarden? I have considered switching since LastPass support has left much to be desired and their data breach last year is also a bit concerning.

My Norton Password Manager won't autocomplete either. The Chrome/Google password system will fill in - but only if I click in the box exactly the right way, and it won't add my username, just my password.

The other thing that is super annoying is that I can't stay logged in, no matter how many times I click the 'stay signed in" checkbox. So I have to do the click & fill dance EVERY SINGLE TIME I close the page and reopen it. Other websites stay logged in just fine until I clear the cookies. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

For those technically inclined, I believe this is the issue: The Shadow DOM

https://github.com/supertokens/supertokens-auth-react/issues/22

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing this. I don't write customer facing web apps so I have never heard of Shadow DOM until now. I definitely will put this on my list of things to research and what the benefits are of implementing this in the first place. I will pass this onto LastPass support though I am actually quite surprised (no I am not) that their Level 1 support has never encountered this issue before.

I don't know if this is apples to apples, but I use Dashlane as a password manager.  On Royal's site, I do have to select my login from the list of available logins (I created one for my son until he logged into the site for our cruise).  Once my login is selected, it does automatically populate the password field, I do not have to enter.  Not sure of the differences between the two.  Using Edge on a computer, have not tried mobile devices.

34 minutes ago, jk04 said:

I don't know if this is apples to apples, but I use Dashlane as a password manager.  On Royal's site, I do have to select my login from the list of available logins (I created one for my son until he logged into the site for our cruise).  Once my login is selected, it does automatically populate the password field, I do not have to enter.  Not sure of the differences between the two.  Using Edge on a computer, have not tried mobile devices.

Dashlane is specifically mentioned in the link Smokey provided. The link did not provide any research on Edge though I did try using LastPass in Edge without success. Perhaps Dashlane has found a way to work around this limitation?

3 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

And it very well may be the way Royal's site is coded. But that is for LastPass and Bitwarden to work out with Royal. Don't ask your paying customers to do that legwork for you 🙂 

Out of curiosity, how do you like Bitwarden? I have considered switching since LastPass support has left much to be desired and their data breach last year is also a bit concerning.

I expect they will kick it back to the developers at RC to follow web standards. But I do hope someone there listens to your complaint. It’d make it easier for all of us.

Bitwarden is great. It’s been a couple of years since I used LastPass but as I recall LastPass didn’t require any clicks to fill fields. On Bitwarden I have to click on my username inside the manager to fill them. (That is, on most sites, not RC’s where it doesn’t work). So it requires an extra click, but otherwise feels the same as LastPass. Small price to pay and worth it to me because it’s free for all devices.

48 minutes ago, fizzywm said:

I expect they will kick it back to the developers at RC to follow web standards.

RC is following web standards. Just the whole nature of how password managers work aren't compatible with that standard.

Edited by smokeybandit

4 hours ago, fizzywm said:

I expect they will kick it back to the developers at RC to follow web standards. But I do hope someone there listens to your complaint. It’d make it easier for all of us.

Bitwarden is great. It’s been a couple of years since I used LastPass but as I recall LastPass didn’t require any clicks to fill fields. On Bitwarden I have to click on my username inside the manager to fill them. (That is, on most sites, not RC’s where it doesn’t work). So it requires an extra click, but otherwise feels the same as LastPass. Small price to pay and worth it to me because it’s free for all devices.

I don't believe Royal will do anything to change how their website works. This really falls onto those who develop the password managers to find new ways to integrate with sites like Royal's.

1 minute ago, Scottee25 said:

I don't believe Royal will do anything to change how their website works. This really falls onto those who develop the password managers to find new ways to integrate with sites like Royal's.

I don’t expect them to either. But it seems like there’s a way for it to work because 95% of websites do work with them in my experience. Some of those sites are clearly more advanced than RC’s.

14 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

Hard to search the forum for IT and support because so many false positive hits are made. So if this has been asked and answered, I apologize  but I was unable to find my answer.

I used a password manager called LastPass and about a few months ago, this application stopped working on Royal's website. Personally I believe it is an issue with LastPass but they have requested that I reach out to Royal's support and inquire as to whether or not Royal has configured their login page to disallow autocompletes. I did find a number for Technical Support (had to google for it) but I am hoping for an electronic form of contact. Does anyone know how I can reach their technical support electronically? I did reach out to them on Facebook and their response via messenger was that they could relay my question/concern but that IT did not communicate with users directly.

For the record, I have told LastPass that I believe the issue is on their end and that, as a software developer, I would never tell one of my paying customers to do the legwork and research to find out why the tool I wrote wasn't working correctly. However, I am trying to humor them so that once I have this escalated to management I have a track record of how they shouldn't be conducting support.

I would send them a postal letter - they are not really into IT stuff...you know...!

• Haha 1