Is Anthem's engine fixed?

I'm on the Jan 7, 2024 Anthem sailing, and they have not dropped (or changed) any ports. The two sailings after us for Anthem they have dropped DR and replaced with PR.

Also, there is a member in our roll call on FB that stated (currently being on Anthem) that the captain said all engine issues have been resolved.

Edited by mylittleloki

Just now, mylittleloki said:

I'm on the Jan 7 anthem sailing, and they have not dropped (or changed) any ports. The two sailings after us for Anthem they have dropped DR and replaced with PR

Yes, they switched out 11 night sailing on Jan 18th sailing to PR months ago.   Not sure that had anything to do with engine trouble.

On 11/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, rjrpar said:

You’re wrong about the Jan 7 cruise, where does this info originate??

The January 11 day sailings have had 5 ports for the past five years, not counting COVID issues. The sailing on the 7th has only four ports

But on a positive note, the engine issue has been fixed. I'm on her now, and after boarding on Sunday, Captain Ban announced we will be going to Cape Canaveral after all.

2 hours ago, mets123 said:

The January 11 day sailings have had 5 ports for the past five years, not counting COVID issues. The sailing on the 7th has only four ports

But on a positive note, the engine issue has been fixed. I'm on her now, and after boarding on Sunday, Captain Ban announced we will be going to Cape Canaveral after all.

And went, we did.  

• Like 1

According to someone on FB who spoke with the chief engineer on Anthem a couple weeks ago, nothing ever really needed to be "fixed". Just scheduled engine overhaul maintenance that required each engine to be taken out of service one at a time to accomplish. It was supposed to be done earlier this year but supply chain issues forced them to defer it to November. The completed it early and so were able to return to the original itinerary for the 11/26 sailing.

2 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

According to someone on FB who spoke with the chief engineer on Anthem a couple weeks ago, nothing ever really needed to be "fixed". Just scheduled engine overhaul maintenance that required each engine to be taken out of service one at a time to accomplish. It was supposed to be done earlier this year but supply chain issues forced them to defer it to November. The completed it early and so were able to return to the original itinerary for the 11/26 sailing.

Virtually every cruise ship afloat sails around for weeks at a time, every year, with one engine down for overhaul, and no one is any wiser, if the itinerary is set to allow for the reduced speed due to reduced generating capacity.  Every marine medium speed engine, like those used on cruise ships, is completely torn apart for overhaul every 12,000 hours (about every 2 years), and these overhauls take 4-6 weeks to complete.  I thought this was the case for Anthem, when the problem was first announced, and is one of the problems with the ships that have only 4 larger diesel generators, as taking one out of service impacts speed way more than those ships that have 5-6 smaller diesels.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 2:35 PM, mets123 said:

Evidence for only four ports? I'm booked on the January 7 sailing and the cruise planner still lists excursions for five ports: (1) Puerto Plata, DR; (2) Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; (3) Philipsburg, St. Maarten; (4) St. Johns, Antigua; and (5) Basseterre, St. Kitts.