Norovirus on Ventura?

davecttr

Have just arrived home and can confirm that the captain made an announcement on Tuesday morning about increased cases of a gastrointestinal illness.

Increased protocols were going to be observed from Tuesday morning onwards, cushions were removed from cabins, staff were serving in the buffet including sugar for tea.

No butter or sugar on the table in the Epicurean,staff spraying the theatre after each show and an obvious presence of staff everywhere cleaning everything they could.

Cabin stewards have been given an assistant this morning to help with the change over.

I personally had it from Sunday night and even though I’m a fairly strong guy it utterly wiped me out until Tuesday when the captain made his announcement ( I smiled when I thought that now it’s fashionable I’ve already had it ! )

I was so grateful that my wife was able to help me off the bathroom floor throughout the night as after each bout of sickness I was as weak as a lamb.

So yes it’s there and there are increased measures in place but I’m sure the crew will continue to do all they can to minimise the impact but at the same time the passengers have to do their bit too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, kalos said:

We stuck to to both your safeguards as well ,also even though the captain advises "Use the handrails whilst moving around the ship ."   We try to avoid unless the ship is very rocky .

A few times we would sit in the Red Bar people watching and were amazed how many people would cough/sneeze into their hands then use the Atrium hand rails without a thought of what they had just done .Some ships staff too .

They had two guys giving the rails a rub down but not worth the risk .

Not all that long ago we joined a ship and were asked to wash our hands as we entered. We were very happy to do so as we'd been touching handrails and all sorts of things.., it was nice to.feel that our hands were clean again.

However, the woman in front of us treated the whole exercise with total disdain. She spent about 5 seconds rinsing the tips of three finger on each hand... and turned away looking at others washing with what seemed to be total contempt.

That cruise ended up with a lot of people restricted to their cabins. We spent some time with a couple while we were waiting to leave at the end of the cruise. They were both shattered and had missed almost their entire holiday. 

Personal hygiene is a matter of self-respect. Personal hygiene, where there is a potential health problem, is surely a matter of respect for other cruisers.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Not all that long ago we joined a ship and were asked to wash our hands as we entered. We were very happy to do so as we'd been touching handrails and all sorts of things.., it was nice to.feel that our hands were clean again.

However, the woman in front of us treated the whole exercise with total disdain. She spent about 5 seconds rinsing the tips of three finger on each hand... and turned away looking at others washing with what seemed to be total contempt.

That cruise ended up with a lot of people restricted to their cabins. We spent some time with a couple while we were waiting to leave at the end of the cruise. They were both shattered and had missed almost their entire holiday. 

Personal hygiene is a matter of self-respect. Personal hygiene, where there is a potential health problem, is surely a matter of respect for other cruisers.

It's almost like the last three years had taught us nothing.

• Like 12

On 11/22/2023 at 11:10 PM, showingdiva said:

With cruise ships, it may sound like all too familiar advice, but try to only use the cabin toilet, keep washing hands with soap and water (because alcohol gel isn't going to help here) and don't touch your face.

Which is why I always take a gel that is effective against  norovirus and use that as well as handwashing.

5 hours ago, terry2 said:

Which is why I always take a gel that is effective against  norovirus and use that as well as handwashing.

Which gel is that, as most healthcare experts say gel is ineffective against Norovirus and only effective hand washing with soap & water is effective against the virus

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Which gel is that, as most healthcare experts say gel is ineffective against Norovirus and only effective hand washing with soap & water is effective against the virus

We always use Boots anti viral foam, it has anti viral and anti bacterial ingredients. Seems to be kind to our delicate office hands as well.

• Like 4

In over 20 years of cruising we have only had 2 gastro incidents, but both were caused by non ship food. I was quarantined in Alaska after a dodgy moose dinner, and my wife after eating a burrito in a Guatamalan cafe.

It must be either luck or we both have top notch immune systems.

This study of gels, foams and soaps against viruses makes interesting reading, especially it reference to Norovirus which appears to be the most resistant to all forms of hand cleansers except bleach, which of course is not a sensible option for washing your hands with.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/gentle-cleansers-kill-viruses-effectively-harsh-soaps-study-finds#:~:text=Despite the widespread use of,simplex virus%2C norovirus and influenza.

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

This study of gels, foams and soaps against viruses makes interesting reading, especially it reference to Norovirus which appears to be the most resistant to all forms of hand cleansers except bleach, which of course is not a sensible option for washing your hands with.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/gentle-cleansers-kill-viruses-effectively-harsh-soaps-study-finds#:~:text=Despite the widespread use of,simplex virus%2C norovirus and influenza.

There is no usable substitute to hand washing to remove noro, even alcohol is pretty ineffective. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Yes, but noro is not the only "bug" that can make you ill. The more generic gels will protect against a lot of sickness bugs. Every little helps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

In over 20 years of cruising we have only had 2 gastro incidents, but both were caused by non ship food. I was quarantined in Alaska after a dodgy moose dinner, and my wife after eating a burrito in a Guatamalan cafe.

It must be either luck or we both have top notch immune systems.

Same here, cruising for 15 years, never caught it and I wouldn't say ultra hygienists!!  

18 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Alcohol gels are of no use against noro, and neither are a lot of anti viral gels. 

You need to search for something that meets EN 14476 - which is a test for anti viral products that includes norovirus. Though that info is often hard to find on web pages.  (

One such is purell advanced hand sanitiser gel, and its clinell equivalent - though there are others. I  normally use the sterizar hand sanitiser gel. 

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

I use all Clinell products the same that they use in the hospitals, I still clean my shopping trolley handle before use .

I still clean the shopping trolley handle before use and then clean my hands with my little bottle of hand sanitiser and I still wear a mask in busy places.  A few weeks ago I had a man tell me that it was people like me who were causing panic about another covid wave coming.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

I use all Clinell products the same that they use in the hospitals, I still clean my shopping trolley handle before use .

We used Clinell products at the surgery Sandra. In fact if we got an impromptu visit from a H&S inspector and were found not to be using Clinell, it was points deducted. It really is the best.

Have a good day.  Jane xx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I still clean the shopping trolley handle before use and then clean my hands with my little bottle of hand sanitiser and I still wear a mask in busy places.  A few weeks ago I had a man tell me that it was people like me who were causing panic about another covid wave coming.

Yes it would be a wave goodbye 🙃

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terry2 said:

Alcohol gels are of no use against noro, and neither are a lot of anti viral gels. 

You need to search for something that meets EN 14476 - which is a test for anti viral products that includes norovirus. Though that info is often hard to find on web pages.  (

One such is purell advanced hand sanitiser gel, and its clinell equivalent - though there are others. I  normally use the sterizar hand sanitiser gel. 

Just because a product meets EN 14476 doesn't mean that it kills noro virus. Purell and Clinell are good products which is why hospitals use them as does the pharma industry, however they are ineffective against noro and are more anti bacterial which is why they have high alcohol content. When someone comes up with a safe to use hand product that kills noro then tomorrow Rodney we will be millionaires.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Norwich and Norfolk University Hospitals Trust make the distinction between sop and water and hand gels pretty clear - compulsory hand basins on ships at food service points? 

Washing your hands with hot, soapy water is the best way to protect yourself from Norovirus this winter, according to experts at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

The Norovirus stomach bug causes nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting and is very easily spread from person to person. The spread of infection is easiest in places where groups of people are in close proximity for reasonable amounts of time such as residential homes, schools, hospitals and workplaces. Norovirus is the most common cause of infectious gastroenteritis (diarrhoea and vomiting) in England and Wales.

The symptoms last around two days and no specific treatment is required apart from rehydration. However, even after the symptoms have cleared up people may still carry the virus and infect others and so good hygiene is important at all times.

Dr Ngozi Elumogo, Director of Infection Prevention and Control at NNUH, says: “It is that time of year where we see Norovirus circulating in the community and our advice is to wash your hands as a matter of routine with hot, soapy water. Hand sanitisers and alcohol gel will work against some bacteria and flu viruses but they will not protect you against Norovirus.

“This winter, we will be removing hand sanitisers from ward areas during Norovirus outbreaks and asking people to wash their hands instead.

“To keep Norovirus out of hospitals, it is important that people do not visit patients if they have been ill with a stomach bug in the past few days or in close contact with someone who has had sickness or diarrhoea.”

• Like 5

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just because a product meets EN 14476 doesn't mean that it kills noro virus. Purell and Clinell are good products which is why hospitals use them as does the pharma industry, however they are ineffective against noro and are more anti bacterial which is why they have high alcohol content. When someone comes up with a safe to use hand product that kills noro then tomorrow Rodney we will be millionaires.

IMHO  the very best anti bacterial is a well tuned immune system, but to achieve this level it is important to ensure that your immune system is well programmed. Antibac gels do serve a useful purpose in hospitals and health surgeries, to help health workers from  spreading germs from one patient to another, or for someone with a compromised immune system, but for the rest of us incidentally picking up a small amount of a germ or three during normal day to day life, can IMO be beneficial to keep your immune system in pristine working order.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

IMHO  the very best anti bacterial is a well tuned immune system, but to achieve this level it is important to ensure that your immune system is well programmed. Antibac gels do serve a useful purpose in hospitals and health surgeries, to help health workers from  spreading germs from one patient to another, or for someone with a compromised immune system, but for the rest of us incidentally picking up a small amount of a germ or three during normal day to day life, can IMO be beneficial to keep your immune system in pristine working order.

I agree.