Specialty Restaurants Individual Pricing?

asctony

Thanks for your replies. On some cruise lines (RCI, Celebrity, MSC and Princess) they have a set fee for a 3 course meal.

Example: Starter (Soup/Salad), Main & Desert for a set price. Apparently NCL does not unless you buy the dining package or pay per item.

10 hours ago, asctony said:

Thanks for your replies. On some cruise lines (RCI, Celebrity, MSC and Princess) they have a set fee for a 3 course meal.

Example: Starter (Soup/Salad), Main & Desert for a set price. Apparently NCL does not unless you buy the dining package or pay per item.

Yes, indeed.

For NCL. those were the good old days.

2 hours ago, asctony said:

Yes, I remember those days. Cruising NCL since 1986 the ole SS NORWAY.

HAPPY CRUISING! 

Speaking of,

my first cruise was on Home lines Oceanic in 1975; second was on Costa Carla in 1986...

Specialty restaurant - what's that? 

47 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

You don’t want to do a la carte dining in Cagney’s.  It’s VERY expensive.   Buy a 2 dinner SDP package.  It will be cheaper than a la carte for just Cagney’s.

Thank you! Yes, for a shrimp cocktail, lamb & side it is $71 before tip. Totally overpriced! JMHO! 

@graphicguy and @cruiseny4life - totally agree!

@asctony if. You’ve already planned out you FAS dining package, buy the 2 meal package BEFORE embarkation (price goes up IME). 

While we haven’t tried it, I’ve been seeing several people post that they’ve shared the dining package at some restos, ie use 1 package meal and the other person buy something small then share everything between the 2 people. Probably works best for small to average eaters.

I find I can no longer eat 4 items at Cagneys without regretting it later. Used to be able to eat soup, salad, 1lb prime rib + steak house baked potato with room for dessert. Those nights are past……

• Like 2

11 hours ago, asctony said:

Thank you! Yes, for a shrimp cocktail, lamb & side it is $71 before tip. Totally overpriced! JMHO! 

It is expensive, yes. Although it is not significantly more than on RCI for example even though they have the fixed price available at their ships. Chops - their equivalent for Cagneys - was $70/pp during our cruise this year…

4 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

It is expensive, yes. Although it is not significantly more than on RCI for example even though they have the fixed price available at their ships. Chops - their equivalent for Cagneys - was $70/pp during our cruise this year…

I hope Royal's quality is better! NCL's specialty restaurants are fun of the mill, suburban chain like quality. 

6 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

i have two upcoming RCI cruises next year on the older smaller ships, chops for me with the black friday sale is only $60/pp

• Like 1

Just now, shof515 said:

i have two upcoming RCI cruises next year on the older smaller ships, chops for me with the black friday sale is only $60/pp

That is far cheaper than purchasing a la carte at Cagney's! Steak around $50, sides at $9 each, appetizer around $15, and dessert about $10. With gratuity, you're looking at over $100 per person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Just got off Princess Enchanted Med cruise. Their Specialty Restaurants were $39 per person. Crown Grill steak house, Catch Seafood, & Sabatines Italian. 

Excellent menus and 5 course meals. No extra up charges.

One of the best values of most cruise lines.

Happy Cruising!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, asctony said:

We frequent a land-based steakhouse (we were there 2 weeks ago), and here's the equivalent off their menu (before tax and tip). There is always Denny's on land if you want a cheap steak. And the MDR where you can have a steak every night... for free. 

SHRIMP COCKTAIL $ 34.95

cucumber gelée, horseradish cocktail sauce, fresno chili

FARMER’S MARKET SALAD $ 21.95

whipped smokey blue cheese, brûléed Asian pears, blistered grapes, endive, citrus braised golden beets, cider vinaigrette, bitter chocolate, quinoa, pumpkin seed tuile

RACK OF LAMB $ 89.95

spice crusted, accompanied with garlic pea purée, port-honey glazed figs, potato croquette

POTATO PURÉE $ 18.95

yukon gold potato, crème fraÎche, chives

GRILLED ASPARAGUS $ 18.95

lemon vinaigrette, smoked salt

• Haha 4

Just now, BirdTravels said:

We frequent a land-based steakhouse (we were there 2 weeks ago), and here's the equivalent off their menu (before tax and tip). There is always Denny's on land if you want a cheap steak. And the MDR where you can have a steak every night... for free. 

SHRIMP COCKTAIL $ 34.95

cucumber gelée, horseradish cocktail sauce, fresno chili

FARMER’S MARKET SALAD $ 21.95

whipped smokey blue cheese, brûléed Asian pears, blistered grapes, endive, citrus braised golden beets, cider vinaigrette, bitter chocolate, quinoa, pumpkin seed tuile

RACK OF LAMB $ 89.95

spice crusted, accompanied with garlic pea purée, port-honey glazed figs, potato croquette

POTATO PURÉE $ 18.95

yukon gold potato, crème fraÎche, chives

GRILLED ASPARAGUS $ 18.95

lemon vinaigrette, smoked salt

Yes, but your local steakhouse is actually good. NCL's Cagney's is Texas Roadhouse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yes, but your local steakhouse is actually good. NCL's Cagney's is Texas Roadhouse.

But the Roadhouse doesn't have tablecloths and a fine dining ambiance.  It has resin covered tables and you throw your peanut shells on the floor (actually not since COVID,,, but that is what they are known for). 

1 hour ago, asctony said:

For that price it should be OUTSTANDING! That is the price of a day on a cruise ship. SMH! 

Not really. We go there for steak. 

FILET $94.95

BONE-IN NEW YORK $94.95

BONE-IN RIB EYE $114.95

PORTERHOUSE $165.95

TOMAHAWK $174.95 (shared)