Sail Standby for $49 a day- new program

BermudaBound2014

With cruise bookings at record levels why is HAL bringing this standby program out  ? seems to me that there is a reason but cruisers will never know the real reason as we can only guess why  the cruise line is using    this standby  deal   .  I keep seeing cruise line stocks moving up in value  as booking keep setting record levels 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

With cruise bookings at record levels why is HAL bringing this standby program out  ? seems to me that there is a reason but cruisers will never know the real reason as we can only guess why  the cruise line is using    this standby  deal   .  I keep seeing cruise line stocks moving up in value  as booking keep setting record levels 

It's just a way to sell a few more cabins. 

Some people don't seem to be able to grasp that it isn't for everyone, but it does provide an opportunity for a few who are flexible and live near ports. It doesn't take anything away from anyone else. Surprised at all the carping from those who wouldn't use it anyway.

Yes, HAL rolled it out badly. But that's par for the course with HAL. 

• Like 9

"Yes, HAL rolled it out badly. But that's par for the course with HAL."

I totally agree with your statement above .Perhaps this & other management mistakes is why Carnival corp is holding back new ships for  HAL while they are adding ships to other of their fleets . Maybe HAL will be on the 4 sale block in the future 

Like the airlines say "A seat (cabin) that departs empty is revenue that is lost forever."    I live 6 miles from the pier in San Diego so I guess Standby is meant for people like me.   But I've already done Mexico Riviera 3 times and I am not particularly interested in doing it again.  Same with the California Coastal trip.   I might do it for Hawaii, but 18 days in an inside cabin is something I would have to think long and hard about.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

"Yes, HAL rolled it out badly. But that's par for the course with HAL."

I totally agree with your statement above .Perhaps this & other management mistakes is why Carnival corp is holding back new ships for  HAL while they are adding ships to other of their fleets . Maybe HAL will be on the 4 sale block in the future 

It is interesting to note that both Seabourn and Holland America share the same address in Seattle.   I don't know if the customer service at Seabourn is better than at Holland.  

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

It creates engagement with the brand.

Most people can afford to cruise with HAL only ever so often. So while they're replenishing their bank accounts, HAL doesn't really have much contact with them. Which means maybe next time they'll go with someone else. God help them, maybe even someone not in the Carnival Group. 

But if you join the standby program, you're letting HAL into your house. You're actually going to read their emails just in case it's news about your status. You're thinking about HAL, even if you aren't really buying a cruise yet. 

And when you don't get a cabin, you're disappointed. Not mad, since you always knew this was very likely. But you didn't realize you wanted this thing so much until they told you you can't have it.

So maybe you should just buy a cruise at full price...

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Eric from San Diego said:

It is interesting to note that both Seabourn and Holland America share the same address in Seattle.   I don't know if the customer service at Seabourn is better than at Holland.  

It would be interesting if they combined the two lines. Small ships, good service, and low prices.

7 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@Eric from San Diego there have been reports of senior level officers (captains?) going from HAL to Seabourn.

Yes, for sure. 

We enjoyed Captain Bart on the Zuiderdam in 2019. He ran the Zuiderdam much like the Prinsendam with officers at the gangway and at the MDR entrance every Gala night to greet you. He has been at Seabourn of late. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Carnival Corp will not combine Seaborn with HAL , Seaborn is a high end cruise line with a much  different focus than HAL  .   They must have the same VP over both lines  & that is all that will ever happen 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are on Nieuw Amsterdam Mar 2 sailing.  We were notified of confirmation on Tuesday for an inside cabin but took an upgrade offer to Oceanview for $98 for the cabin.  We accepted and were called to upgrade to a verandah for $149 pp which we accepted. Total additional upgrade was $396.00

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, 2LoveBikes said:

We are on Nieuw Amsterdam Mar 2 sailing.  We were notified of confirmation on Tuesday for an inside cabin but took an upgrade offer to Oceanview for $98 for the cabin.  We accepted and were called to upgrade to a verandah for $149 pp which we accepted. Total additional upgrade was $396.00

Congrats.  So $396.00 + $686.00 for the Stand By Cost for a 7 day cruise is $1082 plus taxes and port charges.  I would consider that a great price.  It's been a long time since I have seen 7 day Caribbean cruises for a verandah at this price.

Safe sailing and wishing you a wonderful cruise.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 2LoveBikes said:

Congrats!!

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 12:21 PM, mcrcruiser said:

I continue to find HAL hard to understand.  I do not like their refund/changes policy and I do not like the various promos that if not careful, might not be so good down the line.

HAL runs their pricings and polices different than Princess or Carnival even though part of the same corp.

But I would never buy standby on any cruise line as those folks would be the first to get bumped if oversold (which is another story as well) 

10 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Im sorry if this question has been discussed already but can you get HIA on the standby program?

Yes - when you are notified that you have cleared the list the email invites you to contact HA for the HIA package if you would like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

But I would never buy standby on any cruise line as those folks would be the first to get bumped if oversold (which is another story as well) 

You can’t get bumped on standby, because if they oversell the cruise, you don’t get a cabin in the first place. The whole point of standby is that you’re waiting to see if they have empty cabins. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Some may be looking too much into why HAL implemented the program. 

I believe that the new standby program is a creative way to way to fill cabins when and if flight cancellations blanket the country which leaves HAL in the lurch.  HAL has a deep (qualified) bench waiting to get in the game all they have to do is send them an email and pull the trigger to fill the empty cabins.  They have a baseline of guests that have already paid, prequalified and they can offer upgrades for higher level inventories as well.

Happy sailing!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2LoveBikes said:

Some may be looking too much into why HAL implemented the program. 

I believe that the new standby program is a creative way to way to fill cabins when and if flight cancellations blanket the country which leaves HAL in the lurch.  HAL has a deep (qualified) bench waiting to get in the game all they have to do is send them an email and pull the trigger to fill the empty cabins.  They have a baseline of guests that have already paid, prequalified and they can offer upgrades for higher level inventories as well.

Happy sailing!

Exactly. In the ‘70s I did my fare share of flying standby. It was very popular then, and the same principal, just MUCH more last minute and you’d better be sitting within earshot of the gate. Long, drawn out security lines and clearances have probably killed that particular golden goose.🤔

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Have you noticed the HAL IT folks made some changes to the Standby Program web page? 

They added additional wording and now promise a minimum 2-day notice.  Also, a FAQ.

The "big" news (for some folks) is the new 2x $49 for Solo cruisers. 

>> JUST looked and they have put it back to original $49 for Solo (see FAQ) << 

I am still kinda surprised they have not added any sailings beyond the current 04/30.  No Alaska; perhaps they feel confident they can fill the ships with the usual fare drops. 

Good Luck to Laurie59 and drtravel47Bon Voyage! 

Edited by LBCABob
added link; Solo back to $49
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3