Sail Standby for $49 a day- new program

BermudaBound2014

The kids sail free could change up dynamics. Attendance in traditional school is significantly down opening up less restrictive family vacation time. 

Of course it’s really 3rd and 4th sail free which doesn’t limit this deal to families.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I don't like paying in advance with no guarantee of a spot. This also wouldn't work if there are multiple cruises on the same day and want to bid on all of them. 

You don't get the money back if you don't clear the list? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

You don't get the money back if you don't clear the list? 

You do get it back.

”Once a guest puts themselves on the standby list for a Cruise, they cannot be removed from the list, and if such guest clears the standby then the guest's full charge will remain (regardless of whether or not the guest shows up to cruise on the Cruise). If guest does not clear standby, they will automatically be refunded the full amount of the cruise fare that they were charged at the time”

• Like 3

This reminds me of when you were able to go down to the port (PEV), when a ship was in, and get great discounts on the day of sailing.  My Dad used to do that, then come back and tell my Mum to pack up, they were going on a cruise.  😂

I wonder what their definition of “Within driving distance” is?

• Like 6

The cynic in me wonders how long it will be before someone comes on here whining that they couldn’t go and HAL kept their money while not disclosing that they chose not to go, or HAL sold them a cruise and then turned them away, when it was one of these last minute deals. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I hope, hope, hope they do this for the Alaska cruises next year! Fantastic!

I wonder if this is CND or USD for the $49 and taxes on the cruises out of Vancouver?

When I click the link (which is US) I am taken to a Canadian link but it doesn't say if it is US or CDN for us. Is an interesting offer for sure. We are inside GTY cabin folks generally, so worth a bit of investigation for us (-:

• Like 3

Yes, interesting for sure.  I did a waitlist cruise out of Tampa about 7 years ago, knowing it was a close drive for me.  You need to be ready to go and yet have no assurance of doing so.  It turned out, there was no room available and was a big disappointment for us.  I kept thinking, surely someone would cancel and thereby allow us to go.  Remember, the cruise line can't resell a room that is paid for if there is a chance that guest will still show up right up to sailing.  Anyway, if is 7x$49=$343, plus taxes &fees, and of course $16 crew appreciation, it may be closer to $100 per day for a room you don't like.  You would have to assume in will be an inside, correct?  If you can book a room for maybe $499 plus the extras, which is $71 a day, the $20 per day difference would be worth it for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I would do this if I lived closer to a port. Or, I suppose I could book flights, cancel them if necessary, and carry the flight credit over to try again.

Easy to do with Southwest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I wonder what their definition of “Within driving distance” is?

I'd assume that's more a guideline than a rule. After all, HAL gets to keep your money if you don't make it so what do they care if you're too far away? You'd just need to ensure that you can make plans to be in port on short notice. I'd assume the rules about when the manifest needs to be finalized still apply (48 hours ahead, I think?) so HAL would have to give you at least that much notice. With that long to get there, "driving distance" could still be pretty far.

That said, I think I'd personally still aim for actual driving distance to avoid having cash tied up in airline credits. Think HAL may sail out of Galveston one day? 🙏

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

That said, I think I'd personally still aim for actual driving distance to avoid having cash tied up in airline credits. Think HAL may sail out of Galveston one day? 🙏

I am hoping for Norfolk, VA, one day, for the most convenience.  Or even Baltimore.  (I think they used to sail from there for the Bermuda cruises?)  But, really, “driving distance” could be from wherever I happen to be at the time (due to travel it could be anywhere in Canada, the US, or England) so there are lots of choices.  Fun!  I am looking forward to hearing of anyone taking advantage of this.  Maybe me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1