Sail Standby for $49 a day- new program

BermudaBound2014

10 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

So, it’s Friday evening and our Standby is for Tuesday. We called this afternoon and are still marked as Waitlisted. Our 48 hour mark is Sunday afternoon, but the offices won’t be open. I guess we’ll see what happens on Monday.

Interesting.  They have the condition that says if you aren't notified within 48 hours you can get a refund but I wonder how that works if the office is closed?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

Interesting.  They have the condition that says if you aren't notified within 48 hours you can get a refund but I wonder how that works if the office is closed?

I haven’t been keeping up.  So there is now a clause that guarantees 48 hour advanced notice? That makes it workable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

I’ve heard debate about whether that means at/ after the 48 mark you can cancel at anytime, or if at that point you get a one time offer to cancel or to stay on standby until 90 minutes before sailing. We’ll see what happens and go from there. We live close, but with parking etc. 90 minutes is just too tight.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

From the T&C on the standby list page:

"If HAL does not confirm guest on the Cruise’s standby list at two (2) days prior to the Cruise’s depart have two options.  They can choose to have their reservation cancelled and will be refunded the full amount of the cruise fare that they were charged at the time they were placed on the standby list or they will have the option to remain on the Cruise’s standby list until 90 minutes prior to departure and their booking will be fully refundable if they do not sail."

My read on this is if you get to the 48 hour point and don't hear that you have been cleared you can cancel or not but I suspect if you didn't cancel and then cleared the list between 90 minutes and 48 hours prior you may lose the right to cancel.  It sounds like you would like to hear by Monday so if you call in then and still haven't cleared it sounds like you can cancel and get your money back.

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

their booking will be fully refundable if they do not sail

This bit is oddly worded. It doesn't say that your booking is fully refundable if you do not sail because you didn't clear. It just says that your booking is fully refundable if you do not sail, full stop. I'd read that as you could literally just not show up after clearing and you'd be eligible for a refund, but surely HAL wouldn't put themselves in that position, right?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bundtkate said:

This bit is oddly worded. It doesn't say that your booking is fully refundable if you do not sail because you didn't clear. It just says that your booking is fully refundable if you do not sail, full stop. I'd read that as you could literally just not show up after clearing and you'd be eligible for a refund, but surely HAL wouldn't put themselves in that position, right?

I think that is spelled out in context in the previous and next sentences:

snip 

Once a guest puts themselves on the standby list for a Cruise, they cannot be removed from it, and if such guest clears it, their full charge will remain (regardless of whether the guest actually sails on Cruise). If HAL does not confirm guest on the Cruise’s standby list at two (2) days prior to the Cruise’s depart have two options.  They can choose to have their reservation cancelled and will be refunded the full amount of the cruise fare that they were charged at the time they were placed on the standby list or they will have the option to remain on the Cruise’s standby list until 90 minutes prior to departure and their booking will be fully refundable if they do not sail.  Guests wanting the ability to remove themselves/not be charged for the Cruise if they elect not to sail should instead opt to go on a cruise waitlist (and pay at prevailing rates), not this non-refundable Program“

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’ve heard debate about whether that means at/ after the 48 mark you can cancel at anytime, or if at that point you get a one time offer to cancel or to stay on standby until 90 minutes before sailing. We’ll see what happens and go from there. We live close, but with parking etc. 90 minutes is just too tight.

I'm waitlisted for the Tuesday cruise too. My last chance to get to the ship is the 10:30 Amtrak from Bellingham on Tuesday, so if it's not cleared that morning, I'll call to cancel, if they haven't denied or cleared me before that. I don't have my hopes high, because last week the cruise was listed as sold out, whereas when I cleared for Koningsdam in January, there were lots of cabins available a few days before the cruise. I did a web search and several Vancouver news sites were promoting the standby program, which means more interest and thus less likelihood of getting on a cruise, especially with Alaska being so popular (crazy that a 5-night at the end of April with no glacier options would be sold out). But being between Vancouver and Seattle, I can just keep rolling the dice until I get lucky. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, rj59 said:

I'm waitlisted for the Tuesday cruise too. My last chance to get to the ship is the 10:30 Amtrak from Bellingham on Tuesday, so if it's not cleared that morning, I'll call to cancel, if they haven't denied or cleared me before that. I don't have my hopes high, because last week the cruise was listed as sold out, whereas when I cleared for Koningsdam in January, there were lots of cabins available a few days before the cruise. I did a web search and several Vancouver news sites were promoting the standby program, which means more interest and thus less likelihood of getting on a cruise, especially with Alaska being so popular (crazy that a 5-night at the end of April with no glacier options would be sold out). But being between Vancouver and Seattle, I can just keep rolling the dice until I get lucky. 

Yes, I noticed this one was sold out, which seemed crazy to me, too.

After 9:00 AM Tuesday, we can’t cancel our 5 day parking charge in Vancouver. So like you, we have a specific no go point Tuesday morning.

What isn’t specifically clear is CAN you cancel Tuesday morning, or are you locked in by then and lose your money if HAL calls 91 minutes before sailing and you aren’t standing right at the check in desk?
Ironically, a few weeks ago, our favorite Vista class cabin was reservable for this sailing for $15 CAD per person total more than this standby program.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2

We have a new plan: 

If we haven’t heard either way by Monday night, I’m cancelling our parking reservation. Tuesday morning, we’re driving to a cousins house, leaving the car there, and taking the Skytrain to the Vancouver waterfront. At 3:00 PM, we either watch sailaway from the ship and head for Alaska, or watch sailaway from the shore and head home. At the very least we get a day in Vancouver and lunch out. It’s only 5 days so we’ll be traveling light.

• Like 8

Other than solos, I’m not following the benefit of this program for 7 day Alaska (or any of the “bus runs”). 

These cruises are the same price (or Pennies more) than the standby program and you get a regular booking weeks in advance. Heck, in some cases it’s cheaper than the $49 offer.

What am I missing?

F002F601-7F1D-4DC1-ABC3-8D34CC2B3EF7.jpeg

550BBA80-C5AA-4837-BC22-76CB41190922.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Other than solos, I’m not following the benefit of this program for 7 day Alaska (or any of the “bus runs”). 

These cruises are the same price (or Pennies more) than the standby program and you get a regular booking weeks in advance. Heck, in some cases it’s cheaper than the $49 offer.

What am I missing?

You're missing the leap in fares the rest of the summer, and fares in Mexico and elsewhere the rest of the year, when they appear. These last-minute fares also don't have many cabins available--I did some mock bookings and there were only one or two inside and oceanview, and only guarantee balcony. That said, another argument for non-standby is that you can get military, shareholder, and other OBC, which they don't give on standby. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, rj59 said:

You're missing the leap in fares the rest of the summer, and fares in Mexico and elsewhere the rest of the year, when they appear. These last-minute fares also don't have many cabins available--I did some mock bookings and there were only one or two inside and oceanview, and only guarantee balcony. That said, another argument for non-standby is that you can get military, shareholder, and other OBC, which they don't give on standby. 

If you want to book in advance (aka the rest of the summer) you obviously pay for that privilege.

I mentioned the “bus runs”. Those typical 7 day trips offered by HAL to Alaska, caribbean, mexico (and I’m even seeing some very attractive fares for New England). These sailings tend to offer excellent rates last minute without booking the new program. 

If history repeats itself (as is has the last several years), the Alaska 7 day runs will sail at very similar rates all season. Of course, if you want last minute rates you have to wait to book last minute;). My point is that you can book last minute (a month in advance) for - similar price as last minute (48 hours prior).

I get that the $49 fare may offer better rates for unique itineraries. I’d use this program for legendary voyages in a NY second, but I don’t see those offered. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I am not seeing any standby cruises in Europe. I would consider one of those because I could book flights with miles and easily cancel for a refund if I needed to.

The program is designed for those who live within driving distance of a port, even if you can get around it, as I did by flying from Seattle to SD the morning I got on standby. You're also gambling there won't be a flight delay, missed connection, or cancellation, 1-2 days notification means an overnight flight and rushing to get on a ship and dealing with jet lag. It would also mean opening them up to Europeans, which would really complicate things. I think demand is so high for Europe/bucket list trips that there are fewer cancellations, with people investing more in airfare, excursions, and the fare itself. HAL also ensures the fullest ships by being able to offer cabins for no-shows up to 90-minutes before sailaway, which isn't possible for people going to Europe, whereas I can drive to Seattle the day of standby and if I don't get on the ship, I just drive home. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

What am I missing?

You’re not missing anything. You’re absolutely right. I can see prices in CAD cheaper than standby currently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rj59 said:

Actually, they do give shareholders benefit on standby. We have it on ours - IF we sail. The difference is that shareholder benefit is a type of dividend, and the others are promotions.

@sunviking90, I agree with you. We are on last minute (less than 48 hours now) for a cruise we could have booked on sale 3 weeks ago. Reserving our favorite cabin on a Vista class for sure would have cost $30 CAD in total more than sitting here wondering where we’ll be the day after tomorrow. We wanted to test the program out. I’m glad we did, but in future we’ll just wait for the sales.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 3

Sorry, me again.

Can anyone who’s actually successfully sailed on standby tell me if your Mariners benefits apply? I know we all have an opinion on what probably happens, but has anyone actually been on board and had them applied or denied?

29 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Can anyone who’s actually successfully sailed on standby tell me if your Mariners benefits apply? 

Mariner status benefits (ie 5 star free laundry etc DO apply). Unfortunately,OBC benefits do not.  I’ve heard that the stockholder benefit now works, but when we sailed standby in January we were denied stockholders, military, first responder and AARP. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Actually, they do give shareholders benefit on standby. We have it on ours - IF we sail. The difference is that shareholder benefit is a type of dividend, and the others are promotions.

@sunviking90, I agree with you. We are on last minute (less than 48 hours now) for a cruise we could have booked on sale 3 weeks ago. Reserving our favorite cabin on a Vista class for sure would have cost $30 CAD in total more than sitting here wondering where we’ll be the day after tomorrow. We wanted to test the program out. I’m glad we did, but in future we’ll just wait for the sales.

Well I appreciate you “taking one for the (local) team”, lol. Its is interesting to hear your experience with it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

So I just got off the phone with HAL at 24 hrs 10 minutes before sailing.

WE ARE CONFIRMED! And for $69 CDN per person, we’ve upgraded to a veranda cabin. Now to finish packing and water the plants! 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  @rj59, my fingers are crossed for you!

Let me understand.  At 48 hours you could have canceled but chose to wait longer, right?

oh and have a great cruise!!!

Edited by Mary229