Packing. Ugh!

DaisyUK

26 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Once we started doing repeat crossings, I developed a packing list in spreadsheet format (with two tick boxes: "take" and "packed") to help get everything sorted by day (1st/last)  time of day (day/evening) formality (gala/non-gala).  Being a guy on a relatively predictable as a TA vs a cruise, this is not a very hard list to put together. I would imagine for a woman on a cruise, it's somewhat more multi-dimensional.  Now when I go to pack for a TA, there is a formula that results in 1 suit case and 1 roll aboard, and my back pack.    

What I have yet to achieve is translating that *packing* list into a *wearing* list.  Things get a bit jumbled in the unpacking, so I am usually bumping around a darkened cabin to get dressed in the morning (OH sleeps in), hoping I am coming out of the cabin reasonably coordinated.  

Good gracious. Does it have to be that complicated? Just pick up a few things and bung them in. That is my approach, as a woman. Incidentally, I do make a list, but only of things we absolutely must not forget, like my husband’s medication, or things that are quite obscure, like Elastoplast. 

Edited by exlondoner
  • Haha 2

On 11/23/2023 at 10:19 AM, DaisyUK said:

We board QV tomorrow and am in my usual mode of panic-packing. I don't know why it is that packing beats me every time. I'm a pretty organised person and I decide what I'm going to take, but somehow when everything's just about finished I cannot resist taking one last look through my clothes and adding things willy-nilly, especially shoes. How do you all limit your packing, or don't you?

I have been known to pick what was planned and then think, "I have a bit of space left" so pack an extra suit. 

• Like 3

On 11/23/2023 at 10:39 PM, DaisyUK said:

Thank you exlondoner. It will be our first time on QV, but not Cunard. Very much looking forward to it, if I can just get my packing finished! As LouChamp rightly pointed out, a first world problem and all a bit tongue in cheek, but I am currently looking at my 8 pairs of shoes (excluding trainers and travelling shoes) sitting neatly by my suitcase. Prior to reading these posts, I thought I had done quite well, but apparently not!😅

Good news is we are driving to and from S'hampton, so no airports or security to navigate.

I think the key is to not actually *count* the number of pairs of shoes you're taking! I never travel with less than 5 pairs - perhaps it's a weakness but it's something that matters. Each to her own.

I've tried taking the bare minumum of clothes but I end up being fed up with the clothes I'm wearing; having a choice improves my holiday experience so I'm happy to lug a full suitcase (or two) for the options.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I think the key is to not actually *count* the number of pairs of shoes you're taking! I never travel with less than 5 pairs - perhaps it's a weakness but it's something that matters. Each to her own.

I've tried taking the bare minumum of clothes but I end up being fed up with the clothes I'm wearing; having a choice improves my holiday experience so I'm happy to lug a full suitcase (or two) for the options.

I so agree. I like taking options. I always take extra. It gives me pleasure.  I am with you on the shoes too. Luckily I live near Southampton and never fly . I drive myself   I am a solo traveller so all the space is for me.  I was a bit embarrassed before a 14 night cruise with 2 large and a small suitcase while waiting for the baggage pod to open , a lady kindly commented “ it’s annoying when partners just go off and leave you with the luggage isn’t it” I smiled and agreed. 🧳🧳🎒😂

• Haha 6

My concise packing is influenced by long distance flights to get to a ship.

Taking four cases plus carry ons when porterage can be suspect is  difficult with a husband on walking sticks. Taking any more than that is a potential nightmare.

Now with a wheelchair to factor in, anything more than three cases before carry ons is not feasible. My shoe count, including trainers, open sandals and comfort Skechers does come to around seven pairs and that is now my packing goal.