your most memorable CCL Cruise Director moments

havanadaydreaming

All of them are sooooo good, but one moment that stood out to me was seeing Mike Pack get down on his knees to chat with a little girl about the animals on her dress, helping her name them all.  It was so sweet and totally not in his job description, but he did it anyway.  

• Like 3

My folks being from Scotland-Chris Williams holds a special place in my heart. Have been on several cruises with him and love his energy and stage presence. Being that he is now going to be a Fleet DC going to miss you on our upcoming Celebration cruise in Feb but wish you all the best. 

On the much-altered (due to unexpected maintenance needs) July 9th and July 21st Pride cruises last summer, it became clear to me that the cruise director has responsibilities far beyond promoting Carnival's trademark Fun.   Kudos to Frankie Portero for his role in everything that had to be done to arrange early disembarkation and transportation in Germany for those passengers expecting to disembark in Dover, as well as keeping the rest of us informed with whatever information could be shared.   And he still came up with activities for the small number of us left onboard for the delayed return to Dover.  

Everyone onboard pitched in during the unusual circumstance, but I had never thought about the cruise director's role beyond organizing entertainment.   Now I see that position as being a member of senior management, taking a leadership role in whatever manner needed.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

On the much-altered (due to unexpected maintenance needs) July 9th and July 21st Pride cruises last summer, it became clear to me that the cruise director has responsibilities far beyond promoting Carnival's trademark Fun.   Kudos to Frankie Portero for his role in everything that had to be done to arrange early disembarkation and transportation in Germany for those passengers expecting to disembark in Dover, as well as keeping the rest of us informed with whatever information could be shared.   And he still came up with activities for the small number of us left onboard for the delayed return to Dover.  

Everyone onboard pitched in during the unusual circumstance, but I had never thought about the cruise director's role beyond organizing entertainment.   Now I see that position as being a member of senior management, taking a leadership role in whatever manner needed.  

CDs are responsible for debarkation procedures on all ships

36 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

CDs are responsible for debarkation procedures on all ships

I know that.  But they don't typically have to manage that debarkation process on short notice a day early in a different country from the scheduled debarkation, requiring charter flights out of and into whichever airports could handle those charter flights!  

Edited by Joanne G.

4 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

I know that.  But they don't typically have to manage that debarkation process a day early in a different country from the scheduled debarkation, requiring charter flights!  

same goes for me- yrs ago in san juan i was just about to debark when a person fell and required an ambulance therefore delaying my debark along w/ other people- cd notified airport and held the flight til we could board as it was the last flight out of san juan- not sure who the cd was but hats off to that person !!!

42 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

I know that.  But they don't typically have to manage that debarkation process on short notice a day early in a different country from the scheduled debarkation, requiring charter flights out of and into whichever airports could handle those charter flights!  

Sure, they do.  

• 1 month later...

Dr. E (Everson Bevelle) doing the safety drill on Carnival Magic many years back, it was the first time I paid attention to a CD before. He had us cracking up and it was the best safety drill ever. Dr. E and Kendall Fire are my favorites.

Back in 2007, I had an accident in port and was essentially bedridden (stuck on the couch) in my cabin for 5 days. Karl with a K came and checked on me personally. I thought that was above and beyond, since my accident had nothing to do with Carnival. 

On 1/13/2024 at 6:07 AM, MEUB1112 said:

Don't remember her name, she has red hair and outlandish shoes. Sailed with her twice on the Miracle. Very outgoing, approachable and hilarious!! Great CD!!

That sounds like the fabulous Jen Baxter, no longer with Carnival. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 12:29 PM, Knights on the Beach said:

John Heald many years ago on Triumph - his bedtime story was hilarious.

Yes! We were on the Triumph 2001 Christmas cruise and he got bowled over by an overexcited guest. The audience was rolling in the aisle with laughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2