Service expectations on ncl?

djasinsk

14 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I agree. I'm a little turned off by the restaurants that add the line with how much to tip on them. First, prices at the restaurant are up which leads to bigger tips to begin with. And now it seems like the amounts they are give are for 20%, 22%, and 25%. Um, no.

I'm not a fan of tipping.  Even less of a fan when a tip is % based. Does it really take more effort to bring a steak in a fancy restaurant than a cheaper burger? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

I'm not a fan of tipping.  Even less of a fan when a tip is % based. Does it really take more effort to bring a steak in a fancy restaurant than a cheaper burger? 

the reasoning behind that is that the server in the nicer restaurant provides better service than in the cheaper restaurant. If that’s not the case, then they probably shouldn’t get a full tip. But when you start adding expensive bottles of wine to the bill, that can get excessive. A $200 bottle of wine isn’t more difficult to serve than a $50 bottle of wine.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TQuila said:

I stop at the bank ahead of a cruise and get a pack of 100 $1 bills. It certainly goes to the bartenders/servers, not NCL, even if they pool it.

And you know it goes to the bartenders/servers how?  I'm not challenging you here, I already know that the cash tips get pooled, I'd really like to know what happens after that.  I am hopeful it goes to the bartenders/servers.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 10:31 AM, graphicguy said:

Our tastes are the same...particularly with Bourbon. 😉Admittedly, I know wines are red, white and pink.  That's the extent of my knowledge.  Bourbon?  Different story.  Personally, the FAS package has all the liquors I normally drink.  Buffalo Trace, 1792, gins like Tangurey, vodka like Titos....all good to me.  FAS+ drink package offers some other spirits I might like to try.  But, I don't see any that I'd be willing to pay extra for when I can get what I like on the regular package.

Internet upgrade would be nice as I usually do live reviews that I post here.  But, I can buy that a la carte.

So, nothing would make me shell out the big uncharge for the FAS+.  

I view cabin service like a hotel.  They don't give me 2X room cleaning at my hotels.  Doesn't matter to me if they do it for my cabin.

As far as "paying" to have 2x/day room cleaning, you can.  It's called the Haven.  Want drink service for wines and liquors by the Haven Pool?  They got that too.  Want a lounger in a private area?  Haven!  Want upgraded food and restaurant service?  Haven Restaurant!  Want bartenders to fix you crazy good drinks (like smoky Manhattans)?  Haven Bar.  Want fancy linens and soaps?  Want white linen in suite specialty dinner service?   Butlers, Concierges, staff that falls all over themselves to serve you?  

You can get all that.  It's just you have to upgrade to the Haven to get it.

Or get 3 cruises instead of such an upgrade and enjoy life!

On 11/30/2023 at 4:20 PM, yakcruiser said:

I can tell the younger posters from the older ones just by their responses to this thread. But seriously, I think it's more than just this thread. Younger folks look at things differently than us older folks. Not better or worse, just differently.

Nicely aged wine, however, stays the same!  One just has to find it (as the topic if this thread dictates).

3 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Or get 3 cruises instead of such an upgrade and enjoy life!

Generally speaking, and these are just my personal observations over the last decade or so (subtracting COVID start up ships, dates)...

Comparing NCL Haven Cabin suites for 2...if you shop and are the least bit flexible...can be had for around $4,000-$5,000...all in, with FAS.  That's per cabin, NOT per person.

-Royal Balcony or Jr Suite is about $3,000-$4,000 with no drink packages or specialty dining

-Carnival Havana Suites are about $3,000-$3,500...no drink package!  But, it really can't remotely compete with the Haven

-Celebrity Retreat is about $6,000 all in

-MSC YC is about $4,000-$4,500 all in but without Specialty Dining

Royal Star Service Suites are $8.000.  It's about the same product as Haven, Retreat, YC.

Balconies on NCL with FAS, will run $1,800 and $2,500.

Anyone who is paying some of the crazy 5 figure fares I'm seeing means they aren't flexible or aren't willing to shop NCL for better fares.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Generally speaking, and these are just my personal observations over the last decade or so (subtracting COVID start up ships, dates)...

Comparing NCL Haven Cabin suites for 2...if you shop and are the least bit flexible...can be had for around $4,000-$5,000...all in, with FAS.  That's per cabin, NOT per person.

-Royal Balcony or Jr Suite is about $3,000-$4,000 with no drink packages or specialty dining

-Carnival Havana Suites are about $3,000-$3,500...no drink package!  But, it really can't remotely compete with the Haven

-Celebrity Retreat is about $6,000 all in

-MSC YC is about $4,000-$4,500 all in but without Specialty Dining

Royal Star Service Suites are $8.000.  It's about the same product as Haven, Retreat, YC.

Balconies on NCL with FAS, will run $1,800 and $2,500.

Anyone who is paying some of the crazy 5 figure fares I'm seeing means they aren't flexible or aren't willing to shop NCL for better fares.

Of course, when flexibility is not an issue,  one might find “crazy”-good prices on any cruise line including luxury one (and it could be with a real free air deals, too, like on Viking).

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Of course, when flexibility is not an issue,  one might find “crazy”-good prices on any cruise line including luxury one (and it could be with a real free air deals, too, like on Viking).

Never have been able to score those $4,500 fares on Viking or Oceania I’ve found on the Haven.  In fact, it’s never even been close.

I did score a $4K fare in a Retreat Suite on Apex and Edge for Celebrity.   But, that was right after the start up.  Can’t remotely touch those same fares, now.

If you’re stuck on a given itinerary and/or date to cruise, you’re stuck with whatever fare they publish for that particular cruise.  So, you really don’t allow yourself any wiggle room and have to accept what you get!

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Never have been able to score those $4,500 fares on Viking or Oceania I’ve found on the Haven.  In fact, it’s never even been close.

I did score a $4K fare in a Retreat Suite on Apex and Edge for Celebrity.   But, that was right after the start up.  Can’t remotely touch those same fares, now.

If you’re stuck on a given itinerary and/or date to cruise, you’re stuck with whatever fare they publish for that particular cruise.  So, you really don’t allow yourself any wiggle room and have to accept what you get!

That’s correct.  Regarding Viking, free international air (especially, to far away destinations) might bring the total trip for a cruise so much down.  We did not have their cruises yet, but our friend (being flexible like you state) had a lot of them, and on many occasions he got free air and sometimes combined with a reduced price, too.  Hopefully, when we become flexible, we will follow that route (with any cruise line), too.

Just now, kirtihk said:

That’s correct.  Regarding Viking, free international air (especially, to far away destinations) might bring the total trip for a cruise so much down.  We did not have their cruises yet, but our friend (being flexible like you state) had a lot of them, and on many occasions he got free air and sometimes combined with a reduced price, too.  Hopefully, when we become flexible, we will follow that route (with any cruise line), too.

I’m on the Viking Ocean Star right now. I saw an offer and grabbed it. 33 nights, solo from Los Angeles to Hawaii, French Polynesia and back to LA for $1000 more than the 15 day Prima Iceland cruise I cancelled. There is so much included and the service is beyond amazing. Breakfast in the buffet area includes at least three servers making sure water, juice and coffee are on your table within minutes. There are 830 guests and 440 crew. Twice a day room cleaning and mini bar restocking (soda, chocolate and peanuts at my cabin level). Wine, beer and soda included with lunch and dinner. One shore excursion at each port. I have onboard credit and need to go shopping to use it. Keep watching for those sales!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

I’m on the Viking Ocean Star right now. I saw an offer and grabbed it. 33 nights, solo from Los Angeles to Hawaii, French Polynesia and back to LA for $1000 more than the 15 day Prima Iceland cruise I cancelled. There is so much included and the service is beyond amazing. Breakfast in the buffet area includes at least three servers making sure water, juice and coffee are on your table within minutes. There are 830 guests and 440 crew. Twice a day room cleaning and mini bar restocking (soda, chocolate and peanuts at my cabin level). Wine, beer and soda included with lunch and dinner. One shore excursion at each port. I have onboard credit and need to go shopping to use it. Keep watching for those sales!

WOW!!

Without wanting to be too nosy, can you say approximately how much something like that costs, please? 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

Yes, that’s how it is on Viking.  And the same (or even better) is on Regent, Ponant, Silversea, Seabourn and some others.  Viking is though still on our future list.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

Good on you.  Viking hasn't come any closer than 2X fare of my Haven cruises...and they were charges for airfare that they were still going to charge extra for.  But if you found tat fare, you're quite the shopper!

• Like 1

Just now, Daruma said:

WOW!!

Without wanting to be too nosy, can you say approximately how much something like that costs, please? 

Thank you. 

This was a ridiculous deal, no one wants 21 sea days! I got free airfare Boston/LA and a DV6 cabin which is the lowest level deluxe. It was $11,600. The price dropped twice after I booked but I was happy! Just having the thermal spa, refilled ice and still & sparking water twice a day and free laundry rooms (with soap!) all included has spoiled me for life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

Good on you.  Viking hasn't come any closer than 2X fare of my Haven cruises...and they were charges for airfare that they were still going to charge extra for.  But if you found tat fare, you're quite the shopper!

It showed up on my fb page. I thought it was a scam until I checked with a travel agent. Yesterday I saw Antarctica for $7999!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

maybe ive just been lucky, or downright oblivious (which is entirely possible) but in 25 cruises with ncl since 2010, i have never had a problem with the service. from the concierge/butler/ cabin steward/ maitre'd's, waiters, bartenders and bus persons (and i think that covers most of the staff any passenger will come in contact personally).

by the way, we have not always been able to book a suite, so the info also applies to balcony cabin stewards and others. 

on departure day, i advise the steward to "ALWAYS" leave 4 extra towel,  and we're good to go.

by the way, im a very firm believer in tipping as i go. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 5:44 AM, Asawi said:

Even though there is nothing unreasonable about asking the Stewart to clean my room next,, or at least soon, I have to understand that maybe several other guests have asked the same thing. Which could be the reason for a "no, unfortunately I can't do that".

I use the red/green  "signals" a lot and most of the time my room is done at a good time for me.  Not that there is much to do there so it's no big deal if I come back to it and it's not done yet. 

Yes, yes there is.  Why do you think you can ask/tell (seems like you TELL) your room stewart when to clean your cabin???

OH MY GOSH.  Who does that?

I travel in suites.  Full butler, concierge, stewart.  I would never.  Never ever.  Ever.

I might let them know that we don't care about cleaning if it doesn't need it and I happen to run into them but to tell them when?  Do you have any idea of the type of workload they carry?  Their schedules are set for a reason.  

8 minutes ago, Purple_Pig said:

Yes, yes there is.  Why do you think you can ask/tell (seems like you TELL) your room stewart when to clean your cabin???

Please don't pick out a small part of my post to highlight and disregard the rest! I'd say I make a pretty clear distinction between asking and telling!

And FWIW, I would not do that myself. I'd be perfectly fine if my room wasn't cleaned at all!

Jump on the ones that DO request it and say so in this thread instead! 

1 minute ago, Asawi said:

Please don't pick out a small part of my post to highlight and disregard the rest! I'd say I make a pretty clear distinction between asking and telling!

And FWIW, I would not do that myself. I'd be perfectly fine if my room wasn't cleaned at all!

Jump on the ones that DO request it and say so in this thread instead! 

Ok.

Your entire post sounded like perhaps your attitude is the problem.
That section just really highlighted your attitude and perspective for me.

I have found the service on NCL to be wonderful.  No issues except for the MDR which I won't use as I'm not a fan.  I'm a total, self-admitted snob.

25 minutes ago, Purple_Pig said:

Ok.

Your entire post sounded like perhaps your attitude is the problem.
That section just really highlighted your attitude and perspective for me.

WHAT?? MY attitude? REALLY? When I try to say that although you may ask you must realize that you're not the only person on the ship that may be asking things. Honestly can't see what's wrong with that attitude. You must be reading something in my post that is not there. Maybe your attitude is the problem...

11 hours ago, graphicguy said:

My personal cutoff fare for premium cabin fares (Haven, YC, Retreat, etc) is $5K.  That's for 2 (although these days, I sail solo a lot).  So, Viking, Oceania etc is still over what I'm willing to spend.

Length of cruise must be a factor when deciding a cutoff?

31n at $11.6k == 14n for your $5k  

I prefer to use the pppd metric to get a more balanced cost comparison.

still have to factor how much is included, and logistics.

1 minute ago, insidecabin said:

Length of cruise must be a factor when deciding a cutoff?

31n at $11.6k == 14n for your $5k  

I prefer to use the pppd metric to get a more balanced cost comparison.

still have to factor how much is included, and logistics.

I agree.

My most recent cruise was this past October.  11 nite Med cruise in the Epic Haven.  $4.6K....all in, drinks, tips, etc.  Gotta say, I was never bored on the ship.  Great entertainment all the time.  Ship was in great shape, even though she was over a dozen years old.

Had to pay for airfare, but I think it was right around $700 in and out of Marseille.  Hotel in Marseille pre cruise was $175.

Viking at $12K for a month?  I think I may get bored as from what I've heard, the entertainment is a couple of notches below NCL's.  

That said, IIRC when I looked at Viking for the same cruise (again, being open to different dates) the best I could find was $14K fare for 10 nite Med cruise, plus another $1,500 for Viking's air plan.  Don't know if they covered a hotel pre-cruise.  But still 2X+ price over NCL.  

My TA wanted me to look at OCEANIA.  They were a little less but still about the same as VIKING.  

NCL's Haven on the EPIC is arguably one of the best HAVENs in the fleet.  Service was exemplary.  Food was excellent in the Haven Restaurant and the Specialty Restaurants.  I had FAS and 2 more Specialty Restaurants included because I'm Sapphire.  So, 4 out of 11 nites dining in Specialties.  The rest in the Haven.

Personally, there was no way I could justify paying more for Viking or Oceania given how good my Haven experience was.

But, $12K for 2 sailing Antarctica for a month?  If I were looking for that I'd probably seriously consider it. 

It's timing and catching the communication for the deals.

We keep missing Azamara  they send through emails(I auto file them and forget to check) but don't come up on TA searches or on the web site.

Other lines have been doing the same.

Princess had a few only available to limited customers.

NCL has been using coupons, without telling people, you have to check your account regularly.

They want to hide the discounting.