Live - Valiant Lady Dec 2-10

ceilidh1

2 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

That's been my experience too - the bag can't travel without an associated passenger for security reasons.

Until it’s on it’s own journey without you but that’s a take for another day 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

It was all going so well…we were meant to take off 40 minutes ago but instead we are still on the ground waiting to be de-iced. Apparently, when it’s foggy they have less de-icing crew. Not sure how those two things correlate but that’s what they said. We are next in line supposedly and they just assured us we would be on our way in 10 minutes…

5 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

This airport is freezing! The temperature outside is -1…I suspect inside is -2…

Flight is boarding and everyone is lined up. I’m just gonna sit and wait! See ya in Miami!

And, there are two reasons I would never live North of the Mason Dixon line... Negative 1 degrees? Nope...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

That's usually when they check your ID to see if it matches the name on the ticket. They can't let just anyone drop off a bag.

4 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

That's been my experience too - the bag can't travel without an associated passenger for security reasons.

They usually do that at the bag drop but this time you had to go through an agent at air Canada AND an agent at bag drop. So kiosk, agent, agent…

• Like 3

We finally left an hour an 20 minutes late but managed to make up some time so touched down in Miami 40 minutes late. Now waiting on bag coming out and going to hop in a cab to Brickell as I’m too tired for the train

• Like 9

I gotta say, I just made a total rookie mistake! I came out of the airport and there was a huge line for cabs. I don’t have data to connect to Uber and the wifi outside was spotty. As I walked to the back of the long line, a guy came up and asked where I was headed so I told him and he said “oh, I can take you. My ride canceled.” I never do this normally but I just wanted to be at the hotel so I was like sure!!!! Mistake number one was not even verifying he was a cabbie (he wasn’t). Mistake number 2 was not asking the price before I agreed. Lol. Needless to say, I hot ripped off. What should have been a $40 trip was a $60 trip but he had a lovely car and I didn’t have to wait in the taxi line for half an hour! Instead I’m enjoying a free glass of wine!

• Like 10

So tomorrow I had a duck tour booked using my go city pass. I booked it 2 months ago. A couple weeks back I got a notification that the booking was cancelled and I was booked on the 1pm tour (originally 11am). No biggie. Today I just got another notification that the 1pm is canceled and the only one available is 3pm. I already had something else scheduled for then so I’m a little annoyed. Seems like you get bumped for a “paying “ customer if you have the pass???

• Like 5

Glass number two. I’ve definitely had better Hilton socials - this one had red or white wine and Stella. I love Stella, but I can’t drink it as fast as wine 🤣 For food there is a soup, veggies, salad, cheese, and crackers. The others I’ve been to had hot food, too. This hotel only offers the social on Wednesday nights so I guess I gotta pay for the other nights! Lol. 

IMG_9871.jpeg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, luvcruzing said:

Happened to me, too, in Miami a few weeks ago, but before I handed over my bag, I asked the price.  I’ve flown into Miami many times, and this was a first. I ordered an Uber instead. 

I didn’t think anything of it initially as when we were here last year there was a guy walking the line asking where folks were going, etc but he actually was part of the taxi crew and just getting people to the right drivers. It was only after he helpfully wheeled my bag toward his (very nice) non cab that I realized my mistake. As I was sitting in the comfy SUV it struck me that he could literally take me somewhere and murder me and no one would know. I’m the most sensible person in the world when I travel with my kids. Seems when I’m alone I’m an idiot - I revert to being a dumb teen!

• Like 8

I’ve been traveling solo for about twenty years.  Thinking back, I put myself in what could have been very serious and danger situations, like hiring an independent driver to take me on a tour of Roatan. I think we live in a different world now. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

I’ve been traveling solo for about twenty years.  Thinking back, I put myself in what could have been very serious and danger situations, like hiring an independent driver to take me on a tour of Roatan. I think we live in a different world now. 

I was an idiot when I was younger and I’m surprised nothing bad happened. I shudder when I think back to just how reckless I was. That changed when I had kids cause I’m all they have so I’ve gotta stick around for a bit longer! 🤣 Seems I forgot that for a little while tonight 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@sid_9169 this one is for you! 
Donkey Punch

Surf Taco

So Cal Special

It must have been a sign …at So Cal Catina a guy was wearing a shirt that said The Tribe. Of course, I had to talk to him just in case it was THE TRIBE. Turns out it was a local baseball team in Cleveland but it did lead to other conversations with Miami locals. I asked for a recommendation for happy hour/dinner tomorrow. They looked confused and said they always ended up right here! lol! 

IMG_9875.jpeg

IMG_9876.jpeg

IMG_9877.jpeg

IMG_9878.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

THE TRIBE. Turns out it was a local baseball team in Cleveland

Yes!!! Our MLB team who just changed their name to the Cleveland Guardians were forever the Cleveland Indians, also lovingly called The Tribe.

• Like 3

All you Americans are gonna laugh at this but in all my years as a British/American/Canadian I have never set foot in a Publix store. Tonight that changed! Let me tell ya, if this was my local grocery store I would be one happy lady! I stocked up on some “essentials” and when I got to the cashier I asked if I could get some bags. He looked confused and asked if I wanted to buy reusable ones. I told him that as someone from Vancouver Canada, firstly we can’t get plastic bags. At all. Banned. Second, we have to ask and pay for paper bags - 25cents each. Third, if you f do not do that you have to carry all your cra home without a bag. His reply? “Oh honey. You’re in America now. We automatically bag your stuff unless you tell us not to.” God bless America!

IMG_9884.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 10

I slept like a baby last night! The metro rail is right outside my room and I can definitely hear the train go by every few minutes but it didn’t impact my sleep at all!

Came down to check out the breakfast this morning. Not a huge choice and what’s there is cold but they do have my favourite make your own waffles. Sadly, no toppings other than maple syrup!

IMG_9892.jpeg

IMG_9893.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Glass number two. I’ve definitely had better Hilton socials - this one had red or white wine and Stella. I love Stella, but I can’t drink it as fast as wine 🤣 For food there is a soup, veggies, salad, cheese, and crackers. The others I’ve been to had hot food, too. This hotel only offers the social on Wednesday nights so I guess I gotta pay for the other nights! Lol. 

IMG_9871.jpeg

Technically, Hampton brand standards exclude hot items from the Manager's Reception. You'll find it on occasion, but it's a push for better scores and will be put away during inspections.

• Like 2